RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a mile away from home tonight I hear this clanking noise. Started to notice the exhaust tone is off. Get home and see this behind the wrap.

It's a pretty clean break around, is this something I could have a shop repair? I noticed some very slight surface rust but other than that the pipe is pretty solid. It's a PCS exhaust that was wrapped (previous owner). I've myself recently heard a many thoughts on what wraps do to those pipes, so I would be looking maybe getting them coated or something if the crack is fixable.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong that caused this, or just dumb luck?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Automotive design

·
Premium Member
'04' Warrior - Super Fine Metallic Black
9,235 Posts
+1 with @Heftysmurf
Based on the failure looks like the head pipe was under lots of stress out of the gate.
I would protect the surrounding area, tack pipe in place and remove to do a proper weld using filler material as required.
gl

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,506 Posts
I'd find a replacement pipe. PCS are well documented to be trash. They look cool and sound good, but are known to be prone to failure. Even if you spend the money getting it fixed, it'll brake somewhere else soon. Sad, but most likely true. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information all. I think in the meantime I'm going to see if I can get the pipe repaired, while also looking for a replacement set.

I do quite like the look and sound of these, but definitely am not deaf to all the complaints the pipes have in durability. I wish there were more available options than a swept or 2 in 1 can types or extra long drags. I really like the tone of shorties. I don't suppose anyone has anything like that laying around?

There's a guy about an hour away selling these ones. But he doesn't know what kind they are. They look like cobra, but the cut is wrong at the end I think. He's asking $300 and says I can meet this weekend. What are opinions on these?
Reptile Snake Road surface Asphalt Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
those look like mortons executioners. for three hondo i would grab those.
Some google searching tells me you may be right on that brand 👍 And for the price, I'm thinking I better grab them as well. I may not be sold on the style, but it should keep me on the road a little longer until I can come up with something else I'm thinking.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,506 Posts
Also, the cut may be different as it's not uncommon to drag the tips in some right turns and then for guys to trim them so they won't drag... Just a little FYI. If they are scuffed, I would still get them and then trim them myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
offer $250 :giggle:
I asked to work on the price since it was quite a drive (my fault), and he took $250!! Now I don't have to deal with another future inevitable break on the pcs and got a nice deal. I can feel the definite upgrade in quality of this set. Seems a lot thicker and more sturdy. Thanks all for the help!
Automotive tire Art Font Snake Serpent

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Congrats on the quick fix and upgrade

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
1,193 Posts
Personally I would wrap any bike exhaust. Having your headers wrapped causes a few problems most notably the fact that the wrap retains heat. Also you get condensation which helps rust out you headers more quickly. Just my opinion mind you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts