RS Warrior Forum banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
So here I am buttoning this sensor replacement. Got the bike filled back up with oil and now it won't start and is making some awful sound. I made a video of the sound. Anyone know what that is? I can't place where it is coming from or what might be causing it. It sounds unrelated to the CPS. This bike is pretty new (less than 8,000 miles!) and it has been a headache from jump. I love it, but I need to get it healed up. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxDX6NH9_A

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just put it on the trickle charge, but first reading was 12.09-12.11. That does not always account for cold crank amps left though, right? I could be getting a false reading? I have no way of knowing the age or history with this battery. Just that it is an 03 and I am sure it has been changes at least once. I would think so anyway.

Thank you for the input. I will check it later to see if it makes any difference.

-Pnedac

·
Administrator
28,404 Posts
Yes +1 battery. Check the POS and NEG cables at the battery posts, make sure both are tight and no corrosion. Also check the opposite NEG cable end where it bolts to the frame near the oil filler under the rider seat. If all's tight and the trickle-charger is a floater-charger then the battery is just incapable of holding adequate go-juice.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
If your trickle charger volt meter works without plugging the charger in you can use the meter to test the battery capacity.

Connect the charger, don't plug it in & watch the meter while cranking the engine with the starter.
If the voltage while cranking drops below 8.5 volts the battery is toast.

Digital volt/ohm meters are available on line for less than 10 bux.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good looking out. I put it on a trickle charger for a few hours and while it tried to start (even though it reads 12 V) it quickly reverted to making that clicking sound. At the end of the day I ordered up an AGM battery which I will go and swoop up this evening and slap it in there. I have no clue about the existing history of the battery, but I can confirm that an AGM is a good way to go as I have used them in other bikes in the past with much success. Good looking out folks. Always much appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good looking out. I put it on a trickle charger for a few hours and while it tried to start (even though it reads 12 V) it quickly reverted to making that clicking sound. At the end of the day I ordered up an AGM battery which I will go and swoop up this evening and slap it in there. I have no clue about the existing history of the battery, but I can confirm that an AGM is a good way to go as I have used them in other bikes in the past with much success. Good looking out folks. Always much appreciated.
UPDATE: Fired up like never before once I put the new battery in. I guess the cold crank amps on the old battery were low because it had always fired up, but never as easily as it did today. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
CPS fail

So the other day I'm riding and my bike dies like i turn the key off and will not start although cranks and cranks and cranks. Anyway, i have no error codes. Of course a search through the best forum has resulted in finding this thread. I guess before ordering one, has anyone had the issue where the bike just died without warning or the error code? Ill be ohming it out after work tonight if the rain stops lol. According to the manual there is only several things that will prevent the bike from starting. Another tid bit of info, the fuel pump does not prime when the key is turned on. The bike has some good mods done plus has 40k + of good miles on it

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
So the other day I'm riding and my bike dies like i turn the key off and will not start although cranks and cranks and cranks. Anyway, i have no error codes. Of course a search through the best forum has resulted in finding this thread. I guess before ordering one, has anyone had the issue where the bike just died without warning or the error code? Ill be ohming it out after work tonight if the rain stops lol. According to the manual there is only several things that will prevent the bike from starting. Another tid bit of info, the fuel pump does not prime when the key is turned on. The bike has some good mods done plus has 40k + of good miles on it
Arkansas Warrior ... Based on your diagnosis this is NOT a CPS failure.
The tell-tale here is that the Fuel pump is NOT priming and the fact that the engine turns over indicates that All the pre-start interlocks are functioning properly as well as the Relay Unit.

I suspect that the FI 15A fuse has blown. Item 71 on the wiring diagram. When this fuse is compromised the fuel pump and injectors won't operate.
This is the first place to start.
If the fuse hasn't failed then you'll need to jump into the trenches to check the wiring to & from the Relay Unit including the Fuel Pump.
gl

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
And remember that under normal operation/correct operation sometimes it primes and sometimes it doesn't. I think. So don't get thrown if it doesn't prime every time.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I thought that too at first. Fuses are good, where the heck is the fuel relay? Or better yet what does it look like. I figure its under the fuse block.
Aslo once it died, i tried to start it woth a shot of starter fluid and it still would not start leaving me to believe from the manual, the lean angle, cps, or ecu. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
UPDATE So between work and weather (working on bike outside) I was fianally able to follow Alanh's suggestions. Everything checks out to the ECU. In other words, Alan was spot on about the FI relay not pulling in. The relay itself checks good following the procedure in the manual and with it connected in the harness. i have 12 Vdc going to the coil. So following the schematic, the ecu controls the relay by opening and closing a set of contacts (solid state id imagine) on the negative side of the coil. Apparently this is not happening. Im open to any and all suggestions on some next steps while hoping it is not the ECU. Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
UPDATE So between work and weather (working on bike outside) I was fianally able to follow Alanh's suggestions. Everything checks out to the ECU. In other words, Alan was spot on about the FI relay not pulling in. The relay itself checks good following the procedure in the manual and with it connected in the harness. i have 12 Vdc going to the coil. So following the schematic, the ecu controls the relay by opening and closing a set of contacts (solid state id imagine) on the negative side of the coil. Apparently this is not happening. Im open to any and all suggestions on some next steps while hoping it is not the ECU. Any suggestions would be appreciated
The proper procedure for testing the Relay Unit diodes is discussed in this thread and the included attachments:

You'll want to review/download the corrected pdf file attachment (page 7-25) for your early 2003 relay unit. Page 7-25.1 is for '04' & up so disregard.

Question:

• With the ignition Key-On do you have 12vdc @ the ignition coil primary wires Black/Red?
It's my assumption that the CPS ohm'd out OK?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
The proper procedure for testing the Relay Unit diodes is discussed in this thread and the included attachments:

You'll want to review/download the corrected pdf file attachment (page 7-25) for your early 2003 relay unit. Page 7-25.1 is for '04' & up so disregard.

Question:

• With the ignition Key-On do you have 12vdc @ the ignition coil primary wires Black/Red?
It's my assumption that the CPS ohm'd out OK?
My bad, should have explain it better
With the key on, I have 12Vdc at the coils wires
I also have a strong spark at the plug, Well the one I pulled anyway
CPS Ohms out at 302

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Xharleyrdr Yeah I was travelling down the highway and the Warrior just died all of a sudden and would not start again. I have a power commander3 and it has green lights that when you turn the ignition key on the lights run up and down , but there was nothing there this time . When you turn the key on the engine light comes on for 1.4 seconds as the book says and fuel light as well and the speedo pointer flicks over and back but didn't see error code and would turn over but would not start. So this could be the crank shaft positioner to you think? Regards Atholross

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Ok just got my new CPS n gasket. Question do I need to use sealant on the gasket? Hopefully will start to replace sometime this week...

161 - 180 of 189 Posts