RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, no $100.
So I am adding a custom chopper kit to the front end of my Warrior and am close to the point where I have to deal with tach, speedo, ignition and headlight replacements and relocations.
First off, does anybody know if there is ANY way to switch my tank to a Roadstar tank that has the built in speedo/instrument cluster on the tank?
I'm thinking that would be the easiest approach.
Secondly, I know I cannot simply remove the tach from the bike due to the circuit in these Yami's. Any one know if I can wire in another one like switching to a Dakota Digital built into the V-Bars?
Third, has anyone relocated their ignition? The triple trees I am using are much much heavier and I don't want to drill them for the wiring so I was thinking of relocating the key under the seat where I could lock it and wire in a toggle switch inline that is just under the tank so I can quick flip it on or off when I'm just running in or out. Thoughts?!
And lastly, can any headlight be wired into the loop? Like a Harley after-market nice scoop style light...can I just buy it and wire it up?
Thanks for any help. This site has so many knowledgeable people and fellow riders its amazing.
PS I WILL input pics when I get the chance.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Re: Custom Questions! $100 WINNER!

jimdoggritch said:
Sorry, no $100. So I am adding a custom chopper kit to the front end of my Warrior and am close to the point where I have to deal with tach, speedo, ignition and headlight replacements and relocations. First off, does anybody know if there is ANY way to switch my tank to a Roadstar tank that has the built in speedo/instrument cluster on the tank?I'm thinking that would be the easiest approach.

[*]
....entirely different frame on the Road* (Single Tube Backone)
[/list]

Secondly, I know I cannot simply remove the tach from the bike due to the circuit in these Yami's. Any one know if I can wire in another one like switching to a Dakota Digital built into the V-Bars?

[*]
....as far as i know the bike will run w/o the tach as i've asked this directquestion myself to a couple of members that have relocated the tach either under the seat or in the lower chin cowl. There areobvious disadvantages
.... and yes there are some members running with an alternate tach .... i don't know about the speedo
[/list]

Third, has anyone relocated their ignition? The triple trees I am using are much much heavier and I don't want to drill them for the wiring so I was thinking of relocating the key under the seat where I could lock it and wire in a toggle switch inline that is just under the tank so I can quick flip it on or off when I'm just running in or out. Thoughts?!

[*]
.... there are more than a handful of members that have various versions and flavorsof relocating or replacing the stock ignition switch. Just chk the wiring diagram for the ignition switch configuration
.... it's a double pole single throw switch w/ 2 - N.O. isolated contacts
[/list]

And lastly, can any headlight be wired into the loop? Like a Harley after-market nice scoop style light...can I just buy it and wire it up?

[*]
.... the only concern you should have is that the replacement headlamp doesn't exceed the current switch capacity of the Warrior else you'll burn out the contacts at the switch housing. Unless you're planning on using a double headlight with twice theloadthis shouldn't be a problem. The easy fix for this would be totrigger a relay to do the workof the switch
[/list]

Thanks for any help. This site has so many knowledgeable people and fellow riders its amazing. PS I WILL input pics when I get the chance.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
4,963 Posts

Alan,

I thought these tachs were an integral part of the whole ECU loop. Most I have seen that didn't want it relocated it under the seat or into side cover etc.!?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

That was what I was told by numerous ppl also but wanted to hear the opionated educated responses on here from ppl that KNOW Warriors!

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts

bruce59 said:
Alan,

I thought these tachs were an integral part of the whole ECU loop. Most I have seen that didn't want it relocated it under the seat or into side cover etc.!?
Bruce... as i stated earlier, "as far as i know the bike will run w/o the tach as i've asked this directquestion myself to a couple of members that have relocated the tach" ..... now i know i'm not hard of hearing but i have been accussed of selective hearing from 2 former spouses

My understanding of theTach is that it is the Man Machine Interface (MMI), it displays the info onlyfrom the ECU but i've been wrong before!

My response is based on information passed on to me exactly as stated above andit is notmy intention to mislead the author of this topic or anyone else.

Unfortunately, those members no longer frequent this site since the last forumupgrade so there won't be a response
.... i personally have never been motivated to remove the tach but it's certainly not a difficult task to disconnect the plugs and find out 1st hand
... i know for fact that the Tach has 2 power sources from separate fuses. One for the light and one for the power supply. When boththese fuses are blown the bike doesn't malfunction

Perhaps someone with practical hands on experience will chime in to confirm the question

·
Administrator
5,905 Posts

I asked the same question about the tach,and was told that you could just unplug it,tape up the wires,and go.No problems.But like Alan said,just unplug it and give it a shot.

·
Registered
206 Posts

From what I've seen on my bike yes the bike will run with out tach and speedo. But if you unplug the tack the speedo will not work only the lights in it will. the MPH will not work.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know I am resurrecting an old thread but, would it be possible to just run jumper wires from the plugs to make the speedo work, or is there circuitry thats need in the tach to make the speedo work?

I have currently removed the tach and am wanting to remove instead of relocate. Trying to find a way.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
There are guys here that have moved tach's under the seat to get them out of the way but keeping them in the loop. It's doubtful any other tank would fit since the Warrior's tank holds so little gas and acts more as a wind reflector to keep the engine cool. I think you'd have better luck finding a dash with electronic guages that would fit onto the Warrior tank. I realize this is an old thread and would be curious what the OP ended up doing. You can only go so far, haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts