RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this happen to me once last year but quickly dismissed it since it didn't happen again. I was in 3rd gear, running around 3200rpm getting ready to merge onto a highway. After probably 15 or 20 seconds the bike just cut out on me. I pulled in the clutch, and when I let out she came back. No further problems, until last week.

This is becoming fairly frequent, especially during my ride home from work. I usually do 80-90mph on the toll way for about ten miles before I exit to head to the house. Always after extended periods of engine speeds over 3000rpm. The bike will cut out like I shut it off, I pull in the clutch for a second then let it out and ride normal.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas as to what may be causing this?

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Sounds like maybe the dreaded CPS failure? Any codes? However might be as simple as corroded or loose battery cables which have also been known to cause this.

·
Registered
761 Posts
What does that do? And how could it effect the bike while riding straight down the road?
Yeah, it drove me crazy until someone pointed me in the right direction. Riding at 80 mph it would just shut off. The higher the temperature, the more often it would happen. I didn't think the sensor could be the problem either, but I took it off and cleaned everything, put it back together and it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it drove me crazy until someone pointed me in the right direction. Riding at 80 mph it would just shut off. The higher the temperature, the more often it would happen. I didn't think the sensor could be the problem either, but I took it off and cleaned everything, put it back together and it hasn't done it since.

Worth a shot, where is this sensor located?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok, I probably shouldn't admit this, but.......I thought mine might be sticking or something so I shook it and tapped it with a screwdriver before I put it back in. That was just over a year ago and it hasn't shut off again. I think I'll take a ride down the interstate tomorrow and see if it's still good.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ok, I probably shouldn't admit this, but.......I thought mine might be sticking or something so I shook it and tapped it with a screwdriver before I put it back in. That was just over a year ago and it hasn't shut off again. I think I'll take a ride down the interstate tomorrow and see if it's still good.
I super glued mine but have replaced it since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
lean angle switch

Good morning.

I read your problem with your bike cutting out. i have the same problem now that my bike will cut out after a few miles.

was the problem resolved with the lean angle switch. hope that is my problem.
it is now with a Yamaha dealer but they also don't no what the problem is.

regards
Logan barnard

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
welcome to the guy from south africa. sheesh !!
yeah man, you should always check here first. even if you like taking it in, at least you'll know if the dealer is giving it to you straight. +1 on the recalls.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but my bike shuts off when I pull the clutch in coming to a stop. It use to do this once or twice a ride but after riding for a while at operating temps I wouldn't have any probs. This past Sunday the bike shut down on me 8 or more times which is more frequent than I would like but luckily it only does it when slowing to a stop and the bike would die as soon as I pull the clutch in. All recalls have been done and the bike has 14,165 miles on it and has never gave me probs until recently.

I have checked on here (as always!) with the search bar and have seen at least 5-6 things that could be the possible culprit. I'm leaning toward the improper clutch cable adjustment because here recently I have had issues with tryin to get it in neutral and it doesn't change gears as smooth as it did. I will have to add the lean angle sensor into the list I need to check. Any more possibilities that could be the issue would be greatly appreciated. I have already had a bike once before that locked up the rear tire by shutting down on me and I don't want to gone on "that ride" again.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Sounds like you need a clutch cable adjustment. Have you done the AIS removal? Another thing you could put in the mix is the LCV and throttle body sync. Don't forget to set up the perimeters for the TPS on your PCIII. Just some things to check.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
probably a cable adjustment, but what's the idle set at. should be 900-ish when WARM. do you pull in the clutch and it dies {idle too low} or does it lug and stall as you come to a stop. cable adjustment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts