RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a short illness through which he maintained poise and happy antics, Dakota Morgan, older brother of Dusty Morgan and Best Friend of his father Mike Morgan and his mother Sharon Morgan, passed quietly to heaven at the age of 14 years 4 months or about 100 doggie years. He is remembered for his running speed, love of water and camping and of the sound of thundering motorcycles, riding in cars with windows down, chasing varmints in the wild which he never intended to capture, and face-licking kisses at the door after the day was done. Dakota will be missed by all who knew him. I feel blessed for our time together and look forward to a few additional years with his little brother Dusty, in whose eyes shines the same spirit. We three were seldom apart for long. We two will now face the future with eternal tears buffered by friendship's laughter for as many days weeks years God will allow us. I love you Dakota. Dad.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Sorry to hear of you loss Bud.

Have 4 dogs 3 are rescue, 2 came from shelters 1 just showed up 11 years ago & never left.

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Reading these is a big help. Its one in the morning. Dusty is wandering into every cubby inside and outside looking for Dakota. Keeping him busy helps for a few moments. I need sleep but also need him to have my company at this moment in time. I don't want him wandering like this alone.

Today Dusty will be alone in the house for a couple hours. Small steps to help him acclimate.

When we look into each other's eyes now, he is really deeply sad and I try to cheer him but its momentary. So I am keeping my mind on the day when his spirit begins to lift again. Hoping it is soon. Does that make sense?

He came back to the bedroom and stood by his bed a few minutes and has now layed down again. Gonna rub his head and shoulders a bit.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Sorry to hear AZ.

Sounds like Dakota had a good run in life (14+ years)
For some animals are just that, for others they are family.
I know what side you fall into.
Either way, it does not make it easier...

Think of the good times, and try to comfort the other pup..... he won't understand.

Dutch

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Sorry man, I have lost a few great dogs and dread the day with the two filling our hearts and lives at this time. Never easy but always remember them and they are always with you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dakota Morgan

Mike, I feel your pain brother. I think Dusty will recover long before you will my friend, but hang in there buddy!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey man really sorry.....I lost a great pup feb 2017 to Lyme nephritis. A word about your surviving pups. I lost a white GSD to acute hemangioma-sarcoma about 6 yrs ago. I had 2, they were bros from the same litter. I still have the survivor and we’ll, he’s 16 so we’re keeping him comfy for now but I know his time is coming. But here’s the thing.....pay very, VERY close attention to your pups you still have. According to my vet, after we consulted her regarding the loss of the bro GSD, dogs often react differently than humans as a result of a loss. Humans (usually) eventually get better after time dealing with the law of a loved one, dogs on the other hand do the opposite, they get worse. Not having a real concept of “time” I guess is what causes it. I experienced this first hand as my surviving GSD became a neurotic wreck shortly after his bros death. It got to the point that we were trying all kinds of stuff.....doggie Xanax....calming oils....thunder-buddy vests.....he’s basically in a severe depressive state right now, just eats and sleeps and that’s it. No interest in walks, wont chase the ball, ignores my pit when she wants to play and just stands there......it like he became a zombie in the last 3-4 mos or so. But his bizzare behavior last 5-6 years got progressively worse. I had to sell my truck that I brought his bro to the vet in when he collapsed because he wouldn’t let people near it. He started to walk off my property and was usually found in the most bizzare places (neighbors barn/hanging out at the local gas stop....weird stuff). He started to knock over all the furniture in the house when we were out so I had to build him his own 10’x10’ room off the back of the house (really it’s a palace....heat/ac, sweet elevated bed, hot cold running water, motion lights, access to the basement)

Anyway really, really sorry.....I like dogs more than humans.....they’re more reliable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 130 lb American bulldog that at 6 months old was diagnosed with bad hips. I was told arthritis would set in by his 3rd year and it did. He will be 6 this year and has arthritis in his hips, knees and ankles. He is still in good spirits but dosent get around all that well anymore.He is my best friend and I know another year or so will be about all he will be able to live with in reasonable comfort. I feel for your loss and will give Hank an extra hug tonight.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts