RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused. Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said for the recall they're just pulling the tranny and doing work, not opening the motor, therefore, any engine mods would be extra?!?!? Am I confused or is he?

Funny thing was he referred me to OE for engine mods. To any of you fellow Long Islanders out there... can you recommend a dealer on the island that will do some mods such as OE HC pistons during recall?

Carknee... saw your post about Port Jeff... at least they'll do it. Have you had any luck finding another dealer that wont charge for the extra two hours?

Thanks.

BTW South Shore Yami isn't making appointments until recall parts are received and there is no eta, although kits are on order.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,372 Posts
My guess the individual you talked to at your sorry dealer has no clue what is involved pertaining to the tranny recall. The motor has to be split and pulled to get to the tranny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,957 Posts
Hey Skip 102. Go to this link, print the 13 pages of the Yamaha Motor Corporation Tech Bulletin M2004-002. Take it to that dealer.
Show him the nice stuff on pages 7 and 8 about Engine Tear Down


http://www.rswarrior.com/files/recall/circlip.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,604 Posts
Just his attempt to get a few extra bucks from you. My dealer tried the same thing and when I confronted him about it he gave in and asked if I had experance with motors. That is another good reason to belong to a site like this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
The Roadstar I saw on the rack a couple weeks ago was totally de-boned. Yep - the engine gets a tear down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
Skip,
By SOuth Shore are you referring to the one on Surise Hwy in BayShore? I went there and there were booked solid thru May, but they said no problem dropping in HC pistons.

SOme other members mentioned Hicksville Yamaha. I didnt go there, but you can give em a call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys this is what I thought.

Carknee, the one in Freeport on Sunrise Hwy. Thanks for the tip on Bayshore. I'll check out Hicksville and see if the wait is any shorter. Was Bayshore ok with you supplying the pistons or was it something they had to purchase? I ask because by the time May rolls around OE sale will be over.

Thanks again,
-Skip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunny

My dealer tried the same thing and when I confronted him about it he gave in and asked if I had experience with motors. That is another good reason to belong to a site like this
Sounds like another good reason to choose a different dealer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
He11 ya find another dealer. Thats BS. He should just be up front if he does not want to do free mods while the motor is apart, or he's an idiot. Either reason is time to walk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Don't sweat it SKip, we've got you covered on the sale pistons....we'll probabally keep her going till all of the recall bikes are done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
When I asked about the HC piston installation, my guy said it would be about 30 minutes of extra labor...he said that although the motor needed to be torn down, they did NOT have to take the pistons out and detach them from the cam - so that would be extra.

Now, I'm not a wrench..so I don't know. Does that make sense????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,835 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BartenderSammy

When I asked about the HC piston installation, my guy said it would be about 30 minutes of extra labor...he said that although the motor needed to be torn down, they did NOT have to take the pistons out and detach them from the cam - so that would be extra.

Now, I'm not a wrench..so I don't know. Does that make sense????

alot about that statement doesn't make sense. the pistons are connected to the connection rods not the cam. One simply removes a clip, push out the pin and slip on the new pistons, feel that should take 15 minutes max if a 4 year old was doing it. Now if you were having the Carrillos rods installed, then apparently and additonal 6 hours is required
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,728 Posts
No, nothing special. Just the HC pistons. Well, that and the OE air kit most likely. But I probably won't have them do it.

Dice- I may have miss quoted on the Cam versus connection rods...remember, I am not a MC wrench. I have rebuilt a lot of cars, but that was without actually knowing what I was doing - I have a knack for taking things apart, rebuilding them, and making them work. But don't ask me what I actually did or what the parts are called.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I know you guys are off topic here, but I like what I am reading. I too would like to increase my performance with some HC piston. How much are they and what else needs to be done? I also would like no degradation in reliability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,835 Posts
there is tons of info on this subject yellowhairdog, check out the vendors forum for prices from OE, and do a search. The amount that can be done is directly proportional to the balance in your account and on you plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,270 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Dice

quote:Originally posted by BartenderSammy

When I asked about the HC piston installation, my guy said it would be about 30 minutes of extra labor...he said that although the motor needed to be torn down, they did NOT have to take the pistons out and detach them from the cam - so that would be extra.

Now, I'm not a wrench..so I don't know. Does that make sense????

alot about that statement doesn't make sense. the pistons are connected to the connection rods not the cam. One simply removes a clip, push out the pin and slip on the new pistons, feel that should take 15 minutes max if a 4 year old was doing it. Now if you were having the Carrillos rods installed, then an extra 30 minutes would sound reasonable.



Dice, not sure how many engine's you've built and
I am saying this without knowing what kind of rod-bearings
the warrior uses, but switching piston's is not a two-minute job.
(like you have implied) Cageless bearings are harder to install
on the wrist-pins. And in the case of the recall, our pistons
don't need to be removed

Kyle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,835 Posts
when changing the pistons only on the warrior, you are not even bothering with the rods or rod bearings. It's simply a matter of removing the retaining clip on the piston pin, removing pin, and replacing piston, replacing pin, and installing retaining clip. The only complication would be having to deburr the piston pin if necessary, to remove pin. At least that's what the service manual says.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top