RS Warrior Forum banner

Dealer said he's not opening motor

1K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Dice 
#1 ·
I'm confused. Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said for the recall they're just pulling the tranny and doing work, not opening the motor, therefore, any engine mods would be extra?!?!? Am I confused or is he?

Funny thing was he referred me to OE for engine mods. To any of you fellow Long Islanders out there... can you recommend a dealer on the island that will do some mods such as OE HC pistons during recall?

Carknee... saw your post about Port Jeff... at least they'll do it. Have you had any luck finding another dealer that wont charge for the extra two hours?

Thanks.

BTW South Shore Yami isn't making appointments until recall parts are received and there is no eta, although kits are on order.

#4 ·
Hey Skip 102. Go to this link, print the 13 pages of the Yamaha Motor Corporation Tech Bulletin M2004-002. Take it to that dealer.
Show him the nice stuff on pages 7 and 8 about Engine Tear Down

http://www.rswarrior.com/files/recall/circlip.pdf

#7 ·
Skip,
By SOuth Shore are you referring to the one on Surise Hwy in BayShore? I went there and there were booked solid thru May, but they said no problem dropping in HC pistons.

SOme other members mentioned Hicksville Yamaha. I didnt go there, but you can give em a call.

#8 ·
Thanks guys this is what I thought.

Carknee, the one in Freeport on Sunrise Hwy. Thanks for the tip on Bayshore. I'll check out Hicksville and see if the wait is any shorter. Was Bayshore ok with you supplying the pistons or was it something they had to purchase? I ask because by the time May rolls around OE sale will be over.

Thanks again,
-Skip

#10 ·
quote:Originally posted by gunny

My dealer tried the same thing and when I confronted him about it he gave in and asked if I had experience with motors. That is another good reason to belong to a site like this
Sounds like another good reason to choose a different dealer!

#13 ·
When I asked about the HC piston installation, my guy said it would be about 30 minutes of extra labor...he said that although the motor needed to be torn down, they did NOT have to take the pistons out and detach them from the cam - so that would be extra.

Now, I'm not a wrench..so I don't know. Does that make sense????

#15 ·
quote:Originally posted by BartenderSammy

When I asked about the HC piston installation, my guy said it would be about 30 minutes of extra labor...he said that although the motor needed to be torn down, they did NOT have to take the pistons out and detach them from the cam - so that would be extra.

alot about that statement doesn't make sense. the pistons are connected to the connection rods not the cam. One simply removes a clip, push out the pin and slip on the new pistons, feel that should take 15 minutes max if a 4 year old was doing it. Now if you were having the Carrillos rods installed, then apparently and additonal 6 hours is required

#16 ·
No, nothing special. Just the HC pistons. Well, that and the OE air kit most likely. But I probably won't have them do it.

Dice- I may have miss quoted on the Cam versus connection rods...remember, I am not a MC wrench. I have rebuilt a lot of cars, but that was without actually knowing what I was doing - I have a knack for taking things apart, rebuilding them, and making them work. But don't ask me what I actually did or what the parts are called.

Thanks.

#19 ·
quote:Originally posted by Dice

quote:Originally posted by BartenderSammy

alot about that statement doesn't make sense. the pistons are connected to the connection rods not the cam. One simply removes a clip, push out the pin and slip on the new pistons, feel that should take 15 minutes max if a 4 year old was doing it. Now if you were having the Carrillos rods installed, then an extra 30 minutes would sound reasonable.

Dice, not sure how many engine's you've built and
I am saying this without knowing what kind of rod-bearings
the warrior uses, but switching piston's is not a two-minute job.
(like you have implied) Cageless bearings are harder to install
on the wrist-pins. And in the case of the recall, our pistons
don't need to be removed

Kyle

#20 ·
when changing the pistons only on the warrior, you are not even bothering with the rods or rod bearings. It's simply a matter of removing the retaining clip on the piston pin, removing pin, and replacing piston, replacing pin, and installing retaining clip. The only complication would be having to deburr the piston pin if necessary, to remove pin. At least that's what the service manual says.

#21 ·
quote:Originally posted by Dice

when changing the pistons only on the warrior, you are not even bothering with the rods or rod bearings. It's simply a matter of removing the retaining clip on the piston pin, removing pin, and replacing piston, replacing pin, and installing retaining clip. The only complication would be having to deburr the piston pin if necessary, to remove pin. At least that's what the service manual says.

Just to clarify a little. There are bearings between the piston pin and piston itself. Some are caged, some are cageless, generaly speaking in performance the cageless are better because there are more of them ( but a rear pain in the A S S) Also just removing and installing piston pin circlips can be a frustrating process, it really varies from engine to engine !!

Kyle

#23 ·
I know you consulted page 5-55 of your shop manual, MacDaddy, before you stated "There are bearings between the piston pin and piston itself."

Most four strokes with pressure lubrication don't have needle bearings in the small end of the connecting rod.

The Warrior is no exception, and has a simple circlip holding the pin in, not one of those spiral pains in the but.

#24 ·
quote:Originally posted by TaiwanJohn

I know you consulted page 5-55 of your shop manual, MacDaddy, before you stated "There are bearings between the piston pin and piston itself."

Most four strokes with pressure lubrication don't have needle bearings in the small end of the connecting rod.

The Warrior is no exception, and has a simple circlip holding the pin in, not one of those spiral pains in the but.

Sorry guys,
that would be a good thing then. Since those are a major pain in the rear. How does the full floating type work ??

Kyle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.