RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Criswell Power Sports,an authorized tuning center, but they couldn't do a custom map because I have the old serial PCIII.

I know how it should run but the dealer said it was running fine, gave me a print out (all they could do),and charged me $105. But if I were to buy a PCIII USB and do a custom map it would be $330 plus $135 for the custom map. Should I do it?

I asked if they could sync my throttle bodies and this one teenager front desk guy said, they go to the same hose.

I asked why is my LCV making that hissing noise. He said something about clogged hose.

I removed the throttle bodies, changed exhaust, had TPS and CPS recall and it pops a lot now and runs kinda poorly when not on the freeway orwhen its cold.You can totally tell the difference before and after I changed the exhaust and messedwith the throttle bodies sothis dealer is full of crap.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I haven't had a custom map done since last year but I have the serial version PCIII and they've always done it for me. I can't imagine what's changed unless the computer they use doesn't have a serial card. Call another power commander shop and ask them.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Also there are several UsB to Serial converters/adapters available on the market.

Now I don't know if using a converter/adapter may work or if the PCIII Usb version has any extra options the the serial version does not have...

Maybe someone can chime in with past experience using a converter/adapter

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Dynojet is shipping new dyno machines, they are also available on their website. I wonder if its related to these new machines?

coolcat2002 said:
I went to Criswell Power Sports,an authorized tuning center, but they couldn't do a custom map because I have the old serial PCIII.

I know how it should run but the dealer said it was running fine, gave me a print out (all they could do),and charged me $105. But if I were to buy a PCIII USB and do a custom map it would be $330 plus $135 for the custom map. Should I do it?

I asked if they could sync my throttle bodies and this one teenager front desk guy said, they go to the same hose.

I asked why is my LCV making that hissing noise. He said something about clogged hose.

I removed the throttle bodies, changed exhaust, had TPS and CPS recall and it pops a lot now and runs kinda poorly when not on the freeway orwhen its cold.You can totally tell the difference before and after I changed the exhaust and messedwith the throttle bodies sothis dealer is full of crap.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
people are using the adapters at home and it works just fine. It should work on the dyno PC also. I'm not sure if that's the reason they won't do his dyno but for the life of me I can't think of another reason.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
humpywarrior said:
well i know vista will not read a first gen pc111
Vista wont read ir or the software wont work on vista?

As far as I know all serial devices just use simple comunications to transfer data.... maybe your problem is the software accesing the serial port?

But I could be wrong... I have never tried to comunicate to seral devices on Vista... (Hard to find devices that work on serial ports now a days most have updated to USB)

Sometimes Windows assings odd serial por numbers to new com ports like com5: or com9:...

And most older software only have setting for com ports 1 -4...

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Bet they bought a PC that has no serial ports. I just read the hardware requirements for the dyno PC and here it isProcessor: Pentium 800 MHZ +

Hard Drive: 1.2 Gigabyte

30 Megabytes of free hard disk space is required to install WinPEP 7

RAM: 256 Megabyte

Monitor: 800 X 600, (SVGA), 256 Color

CD-Rom, RS232 serial port and 2 USB ports

Microsoft Windows® 2000 / XP / VISTA

Printer (Must be color)

They also recommend that you have the PC custom built with these minimum requirements instead of buying one already built.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you guys serious? I bought that Serial to USB adapter for $10. I can't believe that was the case. I thought it was because the newer Dyno machines just phased them out or something. The dealer was this huge newfacility so I thought, maybe they only do what's new.I'm going to go over and tell them I have this adapter and see what's up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

Got an email from Dynojet:

"Not sure why they would state this. The PCIII serial port maps in the same manner as the USB unit. I guess it could be possible that their computer does not have a serial port but I agree that is a poor excuse. What was the dealers name?"

I called the dealersaying I have a USB/ Serial Adapter and to go ahead anddo the job (discounted since they already charged me $100 for a BS printout): and they explained it wasn't the USB/ Serial Connection but their Dynojet 250 Tuning Link couldn'tadjust it (for some reason) but was able to hook up.

Someone here said that another dealer said thesomething similarandthe trick was tojust turn thePCIII on first (start engine) thenhook up to the dyno machine. In my case, they just couldn't adjust it. I say they were just trying to sell me a PCIII USB. Incidently it's their last day with the dyno machine and their Yamaha branch is going out of business.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts