RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, need some advice. Im sure all of you remember that I put the Warrior down while I was on the Dragon back in Aug. Well, I just started the repair process last nite to fix the damages the occured. The biggest being the dent in the tank. Ive read a few different ways to try and remove the dent. Fill the tank with water and freeze, fill the tank with water and add alka-seltzer, just bondo it, the glue gun/dent suction cup and spot welding a metal stick to the center of the dent and just pulling it.

I know alot of you know alot about bikes, so I was hoping to get alittle insight on the best way to go. Ill try any1 of those or any other ideas that you may have. Im not worried about the paint. So, what have you done to fix this problem? What suggestion do you have?

Its about 4" wide, 2-3" tall and inset about 3/4". No creases. Any ideas?

Or, does any1 have a good tank that they can part with?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, ill see if that will work. The big diff is that the steel on a bike tank is alot thicker than a cars body panel. But well see...

·
Registered
169 Posts
the main issue with sheetmetal is that when it is dented, the metal is going to stretch. Most motorcycle tanks are made of stout enough metal for structure purposes, but push on it with enough force and it is going to move. Straightening dents on automobiles. high srengh steel, and motorcyclesis more about returning the metal to as close as the original shape as possible. Plastic fillers are "intended" just to finish it out. I have straightend a lot of dents in my life...I would pull the filler cap and find someone who does paintless dent repair...now depending on the location and size, they may be able to "massage" it out enough to affect a good repair ,finish it off with some MetalGlaze, prime, block, re-prime, paint{sounds easy huh}...if that is not an option, a stud gun would be my next try...I have one, but there are things to consider before you try that...best left to someone who has done it before...if your not careful you could blow a hole in the tank, over pull the metal, or possibly set it on fire...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thundermutt said:
the main issue with sheetmetal is that when it is dented, the metal is going to stretch. Most motorcycle tanks are made of stout enough metal for structure purposes, but push on it with enough force and it is going to move. Straightening dents on automobiles. high srengh steel, and motorcyclesis more about returning the metal to as close as the original shape as possible. Plastic fillers are "intended" just to finish it out. I have straightend a lot of dents in my life...I would pull the filler cap and find someone who does paintless dent repair...now depending on the location and size, they may be able to "massage" it out enough to affect a good repair ,finish it off with some MetalGlaze, prime, block, re-prime, paint{sounds easy huh}...if that is not an option, a stud gun would be my next try...I have one, but there are things to consider before you try that...best left to someone who has done it before...if your not careful you could blow a hole in the tank, over pull the metal, or possibly set it on fire...

Thanks man. Ive been trying a few things today and alittle of it has come out but not all of it. Im gonna take a cruise to the bike shop and have him take a look at it and see how much that ride on the dragon is going to cost me. Thanks again...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts