RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I put a new battery in my bike (Scorpion http://www.batterystuff.com/power-sports-battery/sYT14B-4.html). Been riding regularly with the new battery installed for 2 months with no problems. About once a week, I'll connect a Battery Tender Jr overnight to charge it up. Last night I had the tender hooked up.This morning I tried to start the bike, forgetting that the tender was still hooked up via the quick connect. Although the lights on the tach lit up normally, I got a clicking/whirring sound and the bike wouldn't start. I realized the tender was still hooked up and unhooked it. Tried again but got the same sounds.

Searching the site it seems to me I should look at the starter relay and thatI'm properlygrounded. My question is, do you think my having tried to start the bike with the tender still attached would have caused this damage?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I can't imagine that this would have caused any damage. I've used chargers to jump my bike. I've jumped it off of cars and chargers and never had any prroblems doing it at all. It seems to me that the trickle coming out of the battery tender would have little chance of doing damage to the bike. It would seem more likely to me that not disconnecting would be mopre likely to damage the battery tender.

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
I agree with Dennis its not because the battery charger was hooked up. But it seems strange your battery acts like its very low but it was on a good quality floating charger overnight. If it was connected wrong it would tell you, and it protects against that. Are you sure the battery has a good charge level?

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
The Battery Tender Jr is a 12v 750mA device that isn't going to create a problem if connectedwhile starting the bike IMO.

I would start with the basics like maybe the battery replacement wasn't required to begin with if the symptoms are the same.... no disrespect intended here to your troubleshooting talents. The only valid test i'm confident with when replacing a battery is to have it load tested before retirement.

I just don't recallany confirmedposts where the Starter solenoid for a late bike (2005)was at fault but i've been wrong before.

In reviewing your gallery there have beenquite a few mods done that could influence this problem.As i stated, i would start with the basics by checking terminations.

I'll returnlater and post some helpful url's

Edited by: AlanH at 2:54 PM (GMT -5) on Nov 11, 2008

Here are my tools of choice:

Warrior Wiring Diagram w/Text Descriptors Addedhttp://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/1/1673654/Warrior/Warrior%20Schematic.pdf

Electric Starting Systemhttp://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/1/1673654/My%20Documents/Chapter%207%20pgs%2023-27%20warrior_service_manual.pdf

and a more detailed view that shouldn't be necessary in your case: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/1/1673654/My%20Documents/Page%207-23_Warrior%20Starting%20System.pdf

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys..

It is quite strange to me, seeing as I've been using this new battery for 2 months with no problem (just rode this past weekend). Alan.. the battery change was done 2 months ago.. it wasn't done in response to this recent problem. The indicator light on the tender was green, which led me to believe that the battery charge was ok... when I get home I'll check the charge using a voltmeter and check terminations. I haven't touched the bike at all since my last ride (no mods). I'll update the post with any findings.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
not to thrash the obvious, but are you sure that the batterywires are tight? on both ends? i have chased many mysteries that just ended up being a loose battery connection at one end or the other.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No.. not sure yet. When it didn't start this morning I didn't have time for troubleshooting... had to get to work. I'll look at that first when I get home.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I just have to ask. If you've been riding regularly why would you hook up a battery tender? Do you hook a charger to your car battery too if you've been driving regularly? I don't understand the logic behind this. The bike has a charging system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts