RS Warrior Forum banner
  • Warrior of the Quarter Challenge 23Q1! Enter your bike HERE
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Premium Member
'04' Warrior - Super Fine Metallic Black
9,378 Posts
@Monster Mike ... now you know what happens when you ground out the negative (-) polarity terminal of the Ignition coil ;) ... you don't blow the Ignition fuse, but the Ignition coil doesn't collapse to fire the spark plug and it overheats because of the short.
Excellent trouble shooting (y)

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
On my DC2-1 install, I used stainless button head Allen's to affix the bracket to the bike, and the coils to the bracket. It created just enough gap to stop arcing. A dark garage, or night, helps inspect for arc.
After my first grounding episode I went to stainless button head Allen's to affix coils to bracket---I'll look at the bracket to frame connection.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@Monster Mike ... now you know what happens when you ground out the negative (-) polarity terminal of the Ignition coil ;) ... you don't blow the Ignition fuse, but the Ignition coil doesn't collapse to fire the spark plug and it overheats because of the short.
Excellent trouble shooting (y)
Alan, I was wondering why it was affecting ignition but NOT blowing fuses---now I know---Thanks!

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED! She's purring like a young, frisky kitten now. It was one of the Dyna coils shorting out. Because it started happening immediately after I had completed the VBAC and I hadn't touched the coils I was convinced that something had gone wrong with the VBAC mod. Because it was shorting out randomly and very intermittedly it was creating different symptoms at different times while at the same time as I was trouble shooting the LCV etc. leading me down a wrong path. Once that I determined that the motor was running on one cylinder (at that point I guess the short had become continuous and not intermittent) I realized that the problem must be electrical. I remembered that I had a coil shorting out and blowing fuses on the initial Dyna coil install but couldn't understand why I wasn't blowing fuses again (which alanh explained so well in his reply post above). Taking Arizona's advice I swapped out the coils. In doing so I apparently negated the short (probably temporally). So I zip-tied the coils away from the brackets, went for a test ride. Bike running perfectly. I think the new Cobra tuner is now able to start to do its magic. Roll on and off throttle is instantaneous, acceleration from slow roll to full 3/4 throttle pulls hard and smooth all the way through the range. Next up is a under-tank coil relocation plate. Tha
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread
nks to ALL who replied with their suggestions and input---it was a great help and increased my knowledge MUCH.

· [Retired Admin-SuperMod]
32,043 Posts
Separate:
I think the only undertank coil relocation plate the DC2-1's fit into is the Akitadog plate. He might have stopped making them. The other plates need to be filed-open to fit.

I will look this afternoon to see if I still have the manufacturing drawing he posted in maybe 2012 for his dyna coil plate. It might still be posted here somewhere too. Note that fastener clearance is still important.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Separate:
I think the only undertank coil relocation plate the DC2-1's fit into is the Akitadog plate. He might have stopped making them. The other plates need to be filed-open to fit.

I will look this afternoon to see if I still have the manufacturing drawing he posted in maybe 2012 for his dyna coil plate. It might still be posted here somewhere too. Note that fastener clearance is still important.

Thanks for that--those were going to be my next questions.

32,043 Posts
@Monster Mike

I don't seem to have the coil plate dimensions sheet for Dyna coils. Well. I can't find it on my hard drive. But I KNOW ITS HERE SOMEPLACE.

MEANTIME:
[All deleted, Mark will get dimensions]

I put a length of split vacuum hose the the left and right sides so it squeezes against frame rails with no noise or damage. If you want that, leave edge meat.

Sorry. Best I can do.

-----

@akitadog could you send me another pdf set for your coil relocation plates with the dimensions? I will put them into Documentation.

· Administrator/Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,787 Posts
@akitadog could you send me another pdf set for your coil relocation plates with the dimensions? I will put them into Documentation.
If not, I can see about creating one. I have a plate that I haven't installed yet.

32,043 Posts
Cool.

Also adding a jump to Mark's 2011 thread:

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@Monster Mike

I don't seem to have the coil plate dimensions sheet for Dyna coils. Well. I can't find it on my hard drive. But I KNOW ITS HERE SOMEPLACE.

MEANTIME:
[All deleted, Mark will get dimensions]

I put a length of split vacuum hose the the left and right sides so it squeezes against frame rails with no noise or damage. If you want that, leave edge meat.

Sorry. Best I can do.

-----

Aizona: I think that I saw an autocad file for the plate a while back in this forum somewhere but I cant find it now. I will have no problem fabing a plate using the photos available on this forum. I've read other members posts regarding the plate so I'm pretty much aware of the details that need to be taken into account during fabing. But a pdf with dimensions would help greatly. PS: Took her out this afternoon on a 50 mile shakedown ride---no issues. Everything smooth. Rolling starts, dead stop launches no problems. Wide open throttle to redline in every gear----pulled my eyeballs into the back of my head! The VBAK does make a difference. Life is good.

32,043 Posts
Mark, I got the 3 plates (not the sensoronly tab) and the Autocad file. I'll load it onto my desktop and do it up.

I will try to add all into Documentation with filenames indicating Akitadog. Let's see if it can happen. It might be a few hours, never know until it's on my screen lol.

32,043 Posts
Okay, the plate types odf-image file is added into Documentation in the Intermediate forum / relo plates.

The system will not allow the Autocad DXF files so tomorrow afternoon I will see about Admin permissions needed in order to upload into a. zip file and maybe add them into Documentation too.

Meanwhile, email me at
[email protected]
If you want the 3 relo plate dxf files faster.
No waiting lol.

Adding: having these dxf files, you can Google 'Autocad DWG TrueView' to read about and download the free autocad reader setup file, browse to it on a computer that has internet access and a large hard drive and Win10-or-newer. That will generate reader software to let you read these autocad data files.

Obviously you can give the file for your choice to a local shop and they can make your plate. Just verify it matches your intakes and coils.

These files belong to Akitadog. Please don't abuse his kindness!!

· Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Okay, the plate types image file is added into Documentation in the Intermediate forum / relo plates.

The system will not allow the Autocad DXF files so tomorrow afternoon I will see about Admin permissions needed in order to upload .zip files into Documentation.

Meanwhile, email me at
[email protected]
If you want the .zip file faster.
No waiting lol.
Mike,
I can send the other 3 plates in a DXF file also and a full size PDF of them. I'll email them to ya in the morning.

32,043 Posts
Okay here they are. These are full size prints so use them as templates. Thanks Mark!!

Jump to Documentation:

32,043 Posts
I'll add these pdf's into Documentation for future convenience. [Done]

Eventually I will figure out how to post the DXF files there too. That would help members who want to use a local shop. But no promises.

@Monster Mike
You can have your thread back now 😂 😆

@Desertboy13
Mark, as always YOU ROCK!

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'll add these pdf's into Documentation for future convenience. [Done]

Eventually I will figure out how to post the DXF files there too. That would help members who want to use a local shop. But no promises.

@Monster Mike
You can have your thread back now 😂 😆

@Desertboy13
Mark, as always YOU ROCK!
Great work guys. PS: I hope that I'm done with this thread LOL

· Registered
45 Posts
I believe you gotta hook up the Cobra tuner and go take it for a nice WOT ride..give it all the beans and let the cobra work and adjust. It won't be perfect on the first ride but it will make mirco adjustments. It will get better. I have the tuner and had no issues with it. I'm going to be getting ivans flash as well and I've heard it runs really good with the flash and cobra tuner together.
Ivan told me to disconnect the Cobra tuner when he flashed my ecu. I haven’t ridden it yet ‘cause winter but I plan to try it both ways

21 - 40 of 53 Posts