RS Warrior Forum banner

Did VBAK---Now problems

2K views 52 replies 11 participants last post by  Zachary Hazard 
#1 · (Edited)
PROBLEM SOLVED--SEE LATER POST
Previously did AIS removal. Did VBAK yesterday. Immediately noticed bike started roughly and than continuously surged at idle between 1000 and 1200 rpm. Test rode bike. Surging very badly at low speeds. Roll on very abrupt. Backfiring. Accelerates from mid-rpms to upper OK but still not right. Checked all connectors, hose connections---everything looks good. I previously capped the left throttle body nipple when doing the AIS removal--that is the ONLY nipple or port that I blocked. I have not made any adjustments and plan to do the Ivan Flash. Is this normal when doing the VBAK mod and will the Flash fix it? Perhaps I overlooked something when doing the VBAK---what should I be checking for? Running PCS Roadster exhaust with their Vortex race baffle (almost straight pipes). I never did disconnect any of the three sensors or their hoses--just unbolted them, pulled them aside, then zip-tied them in place. Bike ran perfectly before I did the VBAK. Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

#45 ·
I have VBAK and Speedstar exhaust. I had a PC III that worked well for me but decided to do Ivan's to unlock more potential. BOY DID IT!! (see: Ivan's Flash and PC-III Dialing In)

But, after doing Ivan's flash, I had massive backfiring problems. I tried and tried to adjust my PC III to fix it. I tried messing with my exhaust and swapping back to stock. Nothing I did would eliminate my backfiring.

So I bought a Cobra PowrPro Black and THAT fixed it!!

Go for the Ivan's. Run it without a tuner and see how it goes. Some guys swear that's all you need and they have no problems. Others seem to require a tuner. Might be the mods. Might be the environment (altitude, humidity, temperature, etc). Might be riding style. Whatever the reason, different versions seem to work well for different people.

So, go for it!

#46 ·
Ivan's changes tuning parameters not air:fuel ratio. IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM A FUEL MANAGER. Depending on your motor mods, including intake and exhaust mods, you WILL have to re-adjust air:fuel. It's simple physics.

Some of the Ivan's parameter changes do help the tuning to cope marginally with some mods. But not 100%. Sometimes not at all.

Ivan's will work 100% on a 100% stock motor with stock intake and exhaust. Awesome.

Ivan's will work pretty well with a 100% stock motor that has just a modified intake or just a modified exhaust. To rid backfiring or pop-up-the-intakes or hesitation or overheating or surging you must address air:fuel. That REQUIRES a fuel manager.

So once you have read this you cannot complain later that nobody told you.

Separate: the CobraCVT is different from all other Cobra tuners.

#48 ·
Ivan's changes tuning parameters not air:fuel ratio. IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM A FUEL MANAGER. Depending on your motor mods including intal and exhaust mods you WILL have to re-adjust air:fuel.

Some of the parameter changes do help the tuning to cope marginally with some mods. But not 100%.

Ivan's will work 100% on a 100% stock motor with stock intake and exhaust.

Ivan's will work pretty well with a 100% stock motor that has just a modified intake iron a modified exhaust. To rid backfiring or pop-up-the-intakes or hesitation or overheating or surging you must address air:fuel. That REQUIRES a fuel manager.

So once you had read this you cannot complain later that nobody told you.

Separate: the CobraCVT is different from all other Cobra tuners.
Thanks Arizona---That was the conclusion that I was coming to from the research that I have been doing. Thanks for confirming. So in conclusion: It seems the best approach would be to do Ivans Flash first , ride the bike, if no issues are found--then you are good. As Arizona says if you still have the other issues he listed above you will need to then get a fuel manager. I did it the other way around and installed the Cobra Black unit first and it has worked out well for me. But I'm still considering Ivans Flash also. Side note: One of the things that the Flash will do for you is to raise the rev limit to 5850 rpm in every gear--a fuel tuner will not do that.
Link to Ivans list of all the things his Flash will do: Ivan's Performance Products

#47 ·
Separate: the CobraCVT is awesome and is different from all other Cobra tuners. The others don't autotune or do a very bad job of autotuning. There is a write-up around here explaining how it works, re Cobra engineers. If you come to understand the science and the engineering (which is easy in this case) you'll feel good about knowing.

The power commanders and similar map-based tuners can do great work, and can be tuned a little better than an autotuner does. There are several writings around here (even from me) where many think the CobraCVT autotuner is so close in its tune that the difference has no useful purpose (plus it never needs mapping and most motor changes are seamless).

I've said it before, as have others. Ivan's is a no-brainer on this bike. Even 100% stock its the best motor mod you can do. It unlocks incredible power and rideability. But air:fuel ratio needs to be maintained or mother nature's wrath will happen.

#49 ·
Do not think about rev limit at all. You will use this rpm at less than 1% of all time using. Personaly I didn't used it any time for last 3 years. BUT even at the idle the engine works different. All rpm's are different. I can tell nothing about performance or speed, or about acceleration. All work of the bike is different. The motor want to revs about ~200prm faster and at it it revs smoothly. Less vibtations, less screws your bike wants to lose))) I think that Ivan's flash made rebild of ignition programm. Even it don't forget that exept other modes and bikes condition could be fuel difference. Local difference. I used completely stock bike in Europe with their normal fuel with ethanol. My bike warmed as as I never saw. And the second warrior I used for a year with VBAK and VH 2-2, with AIS block and PCV with some downloaded from here map(reach one). And had NO problem. After I switched to Ivan's flash and I felt difference! Then I have tuned the TPS as he tald and writted his map ti PCV. Bike felt almous the same with the exception of fuel economy and motor heating. After this I've made some average map and use it all last years. I've did a test: switched Ivan's flash ECU to stock one several times. To have an argument for sell the stock one. And no any time stock ECU onvinced me.

BUT remember: will you make a reflash or no, the Greta Tunberg watching you!))

#52 ·
@Zachary Hazard

With BAK or VBAK and 2-2 shorties you get excellent improvements in free air flow and will need a fuel manager to maintain air:fuel, with or without Ivan's. Otherwise it's going to run lean. I expect it will pop and backfire.

You could observe it by 'reading' your spark plugs and noticing excess heat. It's good to observe for yourself because in the worst cases pistons melt in their jugs from super-lean conditions (because the injected volume of fuel is also the cylinder's coolant).

Engineering and mother nature demand a balanced air:fuel ratio in order for internal combustion to work effectively and efficiently. There are some good spark plug reading charts in Documentation (see the Table of Contents).

#53 ·
@Zachary Hazard

With BAK or VBAK and 2-2 shorties you get excellent improvements in free air flow and will need a fuel manager to maintain air:fuel, with or without Ivan's. Otherwise it's going to run lean. I expect it will pop and backfire.

You could observe it by 'reading' your spark plugs and noticing excess heat. It's good to observe for yourself because in the worst cases pistons melt in their jugs from super-lean conditions (because the injected volume of fuel is also the cylinder's coolant).

Engineering and mother nature demand a balanced air:fuel ratio in order for internal combustion to work effectively and efficiently. There are some good spark plug reading charts in Documentation (see the Table of Contents).
I have a tuner and replaced the plugs, they looked pretty good surprisingly. The bike is running better with each ride. I suspect this bike lived a hard life before I got it. Excited to try the new flash once we warm up here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.