RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is a rear pulley available that is increased by 1 tooth? this would have the same effect as lowering the front pully 1 tooth right? I ask because if there are no other negative side effects other then lower top speed, I would like to do both.

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bomber,

Changing the rear pulley by one tooth is not the same as changing the front pulley by one tooth. This is due to the difference in the diameters of the pulleys. I am not sure about the sizes right now, so I can't figure out the differences each would make. But I'd say it pretty close to the norm. One tooth on the front pulley would be like two teeth on the rear pulley. There are also rules of physics involved in this. So if it is a 2:1 ratio, running a 32 tooth on the front gear and 66 tooth on the rear, is not the same as running a 33-64. Sorry if this isn't really clear. I'm still a little, ummm.. Hiccup.. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

But if you were to add one tooth to the rear pulley, you would not get as much a change as removing one tooth from the front pulley. But by changing the rear pulleys diameter you're torque multiplication should increase more than removing from the front.

When I get back I'll look into this some more, unless someone else has it figured out by then.

Troop

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Troop. I think I understand what you are saying. I'm still looking into the effects of this myself. Are there different rear pullys available at all that anyone knows of?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Stock front pulley is 32 tooth.
Stock rear pulley is 70 tooth
Stock ratio is 2.1875.
If with 71 tooth pulley---2.28, I do not think you would notice a change.

31 tooth front pulley w/70 tooth rear is 2.258 ratio & is only a 6% change. At 80 mph (actual speed, not indicated as the speedo will be reading high) you would be turning 180 more revs.

·
Registered
421 Posts
kaboom, why fool around w/the rear pulley? if you want more bottom end and less top end, just change the front drive pulley to a 30 tooth. that will yield a 2.33 ratio. I have seen 30 tooth pulleys on a website? I think roadstar magazine or someplace like that. they also had some nifty rear pulleys, solid and w/spokes. mostly cosmetics though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anyway to adjust the pulleys and the speedo so it reads the correct speed?

I guess I could get a GPS but I'd rather keep it clean.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I changed to the 31 tooth, appx 5mph off, you can buy a "yellow box" to adjust, I just compensate for the 5 mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts