RS Warrior Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
It's not your fault. Chapter 5 has certain errors, sometimes calling the cam cover (102 on it) the decompression cover in error. The decompression rods are in the end of the cams, but its still called the cam cover in all correct materials. The only correctly-named decompression cover is the decompression solenoid cover so most of us drop the word solenoid just because it's less typing. So my bad, in this case I should have been more clear. Good job.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's not your fault. Chapter 5 has certain errors, sometimes calling the cam cover (102 on it) the decompression cover in error. The decompression rods are in the end of the cams, but its still called the cam cover in all correct materials. The only correctly-named decompression cover is the decompression solenoid cover so most of us drop the word solenoid just because it's less typing. So my bad, in this case I should have been more clear. Good job.
Well here's probably a dumb question: Does the decompression solenoid actuate at power on or at the start of cranking? Since my last post, I have gone through the diagnostic mode and when I got to #55 I didn't hear any actuation noise from the DS. In addition, I have grabbed on to the body of the DS as I powered on. No physical motion felt. Also, since that time I have preemptively purchased a new DS through Partzilla. The bike is now getting those BUB Jug Huggers removed so that the cover can be removed. I will send pics when the DS is exposed. Thanks for all your knowledge and support.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well here's probably a dumb question: Does the decompression solenoid actuate at power on or at the start of cranking? Since my last post, I have gone through the diagnostic mode and when I got to #55 I didn't hear any actuation noise from the DS. In addition, I have grabbed on to the body of the DS as I powered on. No physical motion felt. Also, since that time I have preemptively purchased a new DS through Partzilla. The bike is now getting those BUB Jug Huggers removed so that the cover can be removed. I will send pics when the DS is exposed. Thanks for all your knowledge and support.
So, finally took off the DS cover and looked at the underside. Solenoid actuation left a nice groove in the underside. apparently the arm that the solenoid shaft attaches to have been leaving a linear mark. Just thought you'd like to see what happens when these after market parts don't allow space.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Vehicle brake
Wood Communication Device Portable communications device Bumper Wood stain
Fluid Liquid Water Gas Bumper
Hand Fluid Finger Bicycle part Auto part

Premium Member
Machined Billet Cover to Clear Solenoid Lever/Pin back in Nov 2004 prior to installation and removal of OEM cover.
It's not necessary to remove the amount of material as shown to solve your issue.
Historically, the hard starting was most prevalent when the Engine was HOT and the components had expanded causing interference!
Some members used a Flat Washer, or two, to space the cover outward but if you have a V&H exhaust it will create an interference.
  • Additional Photos here if interested: Compression Release Cover
  • The Decompression Solenoid wiring exits from the rear of this device and is not a concern.
  • The Cylinder ID sensor wiring is vulnerable to pinching with the Yami aftermarket Billet Cam Cover. If you have this accessory I suggest you radius the sharp corner where the wire exits the cover.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Machined Billet Cover to Clear Solenoid Lever/Pin back in Nov 2004 prior to installation and removal of OEM cover.
It's not necessary to remove the amount of material as shown to solve your issue.
Historically, the hard starting was most prevalent when the Engine was HOT and the components had expanded causing interference!
Some members used a Flat Washer, or two, to space the cover outward but if you have a V&H exhaust it will create an interference.
  • Additional Photos here if interested: Compression Release Cover
  • The Decompression Solenoid wiring exits from the rear of this device and is not a concern.
  • The Cylinder ID sensor wiring is vulnerable to pinching with the Yami aftermarket Billet Cam Cover. If you have this accessory I suggest you radius the sharp corner where the wire exits the cover.

Yes, we took the Cam cover off to check out the Decompression Rods and make sure all parts were moving freely. There was a black sooty coating on the DS solenoid and that piqued the curiosity as to what was going on behind the Cam cover. The wires going into the cam (102) cover had a very slight indent, not really much of a pinch. Don't think it was enough to break continuity. I can get you a pic, hopefully today.
Also the DS cover and those BUB Jug Hugger pipes were actually in contact. So the plan to use washers is probably not going to work. There seems to be plenty of material on the DS cover to remove on the inside.
On removal of the exhaust pipe, one of the exhaust bolts broke off in place, the other on came out but the female threads look rough. No anti seize was ever used previously. So that is one of the challenges now on the plate. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Hand Hood Bumper Automotive lighting Finger

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes, we took the Cam cover off to check out the Decompression Rods and make sure all parts were moving freely. There was a black sooty coating on the DS solenoid and that piqued the curiosity as to what was going on behind the Cam cover. The wires going into the cam (102) cover had a very slight indent, not really much of a pinch. Don't think it was enough to break continuity. I can get you a pic, hopefully today.
Also the DS cover and those BUB Jug Hugger pipes were actually in contact. So the plan to use washers is probably not going to work. There seems to be plenty of material on the DS cover to remove on the inside.
On removal of the exhaust pipe, one of the exhaust bolts broke off in place, the other on came out but the female threads look rough. No anti seize was ever used previously. So that is one of the challenges now on the plate. Any suggestions would be welcome.

View attachment 255575
OK, no pics right now but, since taking the 102 cam cover off, those pinched wires lead to the cam position sensor aka cylinder identification sensor. Looked like someone has repaired the wires, evidenced by electrical tape. Seems to have worked since no codes have ever show up and the bike, once it starts, runs fine. There is evidence that whoever did the repair also ground out a little more space on the cam cover where the wire pass through. Hate to spend on a new $140 sensor without good cause. Plan is to heat shrink a covering over where the wire was repaired and grind a little more off the cam cover for safety margin. Feed back is always appreciated. Thanks

21 - 28 of 28 Posts