RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around for a driver backrest to use with my stock seats and decided to make my own after looking at the options available.

Mine uses simple parts you can buy at any store:

Flat steel bar stock from Home Depot
Vinyl and foam from Joann's fabric store
Spray glue
Pop Rivets

I decided to take pictures of the entire process and made a little how to movie:

Took it for a test ride today and it is way more comfy than my Corbin Dual Tour seat with the driver backrest. This one hits my back in just the right place and is softer.

And I spent under $40 and made it in my spare time in my garage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I was looking around for a driver backrest to use with my stock seats and decided to make my own after looking at the options available.

Mine uses simple parts you can buy at any store:

Flat steel bar stock from Home Depot
Vinyl and foam from Joann's fabric store
Spray glue
Pop Rivets

I decided to take pictures of the entire process and made a little how to movie:
DIY Warrior Backrest Project.wmv - YouTube

Took it for a test ride today and it is way more comfy than my Corbin Dual Tour seat with the driver backrest. This one hits my back in just the right place and is softer.

And I spent under $40 and made it in my spare time in my garage.
didn't have time to see the vid...but the pics show a clever piece of DIY - brownie points my friend ...cool:D

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Wow. Talk about taking it to a new level for documenting how you did a project. Nice work! :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great job! American ingenuity at work. This might be my new winter project, and good use of the kettle ball! A very cool end of movie sign off too!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. It really wasn't a difficult project, and surely would have went a lot faster if I wasn't snapping pics every few seconds!

I think anyone with a few basic tools could handle this in their garage. Probably the most difficult thing for most would be the sewing if you don't know how to use a sewing machine. Luckily I have about 20 years of experience with tailoring and leatherwork so it wasn't bad.

I got super lucky and found a vinyl that has almost the same texture as the stock seat at my local Joann's fabrics. Used a coupon from the Sunday paper to save 40% off the vinyl. My girlfriend is a coupon fanatic! Gotta love that!

I just haven't been too happy with the dual tour seat, the padding is really hard and the backrest pushes into my back in the wrong places. Did a 300 mile ride to Portland and back two weeks ago and that's what made me start looking for other solutions. This worked out better than I hoped!

·
Registered
141 Posts
love it! Really a great example of the Caliber of people we have on here when it come to getting things done ourself.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Awesome Job Brother. Looks good and comfy. Man do I miss the Seattle area how you been doing up there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome Job Brother. Looks good and comfy. Man do I miss the Seattle area how you been doing up there.
Hey Tommy,
Been good man. Hope all's well with you. Been doing some mods to my bike recently as you can see. Summer has finally kicked in here at last! Hoping to get a couple long road trips on the bike before it starts raining again.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
I was expecting to see a real hack job. This is anything but. Very well done and great documentation!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ahhhh how I miss the rain there. But hey man the bike is lookin good. I am in the middle of a rebuild of mine after going down on it a month ago but hey I will make it better so keep an eye out as I will be done soon. Take care brother and be safe.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aw man hope you weren't hurt! Got any pics of the bike? let me know how the rebuild is coming along. Get back on the road soon!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts