RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like me you are changing your your triple trees to 6 degree trees and you come across a spanner nut (actually 2) on the steering head that require torquing when you replace the trees. The manufacturer shows a spanner wrench with a space to attach your torque wrench to on the handle but then says that the torque will not be exact as you are not directly on the nut. Well after searching most of the tool stores in Halifax to find a spanner nut socket (could not find a wrench either) and not wanting to go to the dealer to buy their wrench and wiat for ordering plus shelling out big $$$$ I decided to do it myself.

I bought a cheap 27mm deep socket which was the closest I could find that matched the diameter of the spanner nut without going over the little cut outs on the nut and I also bought a piece of 1/4 by 1/4 square stock.

I machined (ground out) out the inside of the socket a bit to make sure it fit over the steeering head, I cut 4 lengths of the square stock a little longer than the socket and then using the spanner nut as guide I welded the four pieces of stock to the socket and voila a steering head spanner nut socket which can be used directly with a torque wrench and will give acurate torque readings all for under $20

here are some pictures to help visualize

hope this helps some of you

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
NICE!!!!! I wish you would have posted that a couple of years ago before I took mine apart with a hammer and punch:eek:. Thats a great set up,I will definitly be building one.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Definitely easier than machining the "prongs" into a socket, like I did. Good job.

CAD

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well done. Great Idea. Had I not had access to a spanner wrench I would copy that. Glad to see you are doing it right. This must have been a revelation you had during the Great North American Sportster Trek of 2011. Later

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well done. Great Idea. Had I not had access to a spanner wrench I would copy that. Glad to see you are doing it right. This must have been a revelation you had during the Great North American Sportster Trek of 2011. Later
Actually thought of it before my little trip back from Georgia. On the trip I was trying to think if I could get a 260 or 280 on the back of the sporster:eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nice work I could of used that on my 05 when I installed my 6 degree trees from C&S but I tell you what the 7 degrees I put on my 08 from Mortons have a bolt that you just torque down to hold everything together and I really liked the simplicity of that set up but nice setup never the less the only problem now is that you'll be sending that thing out for everyone to use!!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
christok,

Love your work.
What is the torque setting now you are directly from the top.
If the original tool is used then there is an offset because there is some 'force arm' (Sorry do not know the English term)

I am sure that the torque setting in the manual is not correct for this setup.
Can remember that somebody did a calculation, but sometimes it is to hard to search through all the threads.

Dutch :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
christok,

Love your work.

What is the torque setting now you are directly from the top.
  • THERE IS NO CORRECTION FACTOR :) .... when the Yamaha tool is used at a RIGHT ANGLE as shown/discussed below for rear axle nut example ... AlanH
If the original tool is used then there is an offset because there is some 'force arm' (Sorry do not know the English term)

I am sure that the torque setting in the manual is not correct for this setup.
Can remember that somebody did a calculation, but sometimes it is to hard to search through all the threads.

Dutch :cool:
Churchkey has several excellent contributions on his methodology using the fall away adjustment for the torque value of the brg's.

Here's an oldie: Torque wrench calculations

Here's a chart Torque Wrench extensions if you use a tool like this as an extension adapter

Belt Adjustment with V&H Bigshots - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums.
  • In the enclosed photo it's being applied at a right angle which doesn't require a multiplier.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here are the pictures that used to be in photobucket

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts