RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the bike home from a good little run. As I pulled into the garage I heard a sharp clicking coming from the #2 (front) cylinder. My first thought was the dreaded failed lifter issue.
I left the bike running and tried to zero in with the ear to see where the sound was coming from. Because it was dim in the garage I was able to see a spark near the rearmost plug lead on the left side dyna coil. The rubber fuel take over vent lines were very close with one touching the coil at just about wear a saw the spark. I moved the rubber line and the clicking stopped. While the bike was running I touched the body of the coil (not the plug wire) and got a shock. I touched the right side coil in the same location and did not get a shock.
I think I have a failed coil. It’s like the body isn’t isolated. Is this likely or is this a possible mounting issue?

Attaching some pics. The pencil marks where the sparking was.

·
Administrator
30,376 Posts
Dyna coil bodies are made of good materials, but if dropped or if overheated anything is possible. Also, the body material sometimes let some wire boots slip off (more info on Dyna website for the coils being used). Finally, the Warrior coil bracket has fasteners that come very close to the coil primary wire connection fasteners. They will jump across if wet.

So if it were me, I would gently push all the boots onto the coils and see if they push-on further. If they do, then go to the dyna coils website and browse spark plug wires and boots to get info on boots the slip off dyna coils.

Then I would replace the bolts that mount the coil bracket to the bike frame with stainless button head Allen bolts, they have a low profile so they clear the primary wire connections better.

If still no fix then uninstall that coil and stiff bristle brush it looking for cracks or flame black marks.

Then, there are a few ways to test ignition coils and youtube has tons of good stuff so I won't duplicate that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, will do. I think I may still have the original coils. The right side one was bad. If they are still around, can try swapping the left side one & see what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts