RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 02 Warrior a couple months ago and it has the V&H longshot pipes but i was looking at the computer and its stock, also when im riding then downshift it seems to that the exhaust chops like theres too much fuel going out ar it cant burn it all, do I really need a Power Commander or will it just get me better fuel mileage, I just dont want to hurt the bike... I do love it...

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I personally would think it is a good idea. You can bump the ECU, but that only adjust the fuel at idle. The power commander can be tuned to adjust acroos the entire throttle and RPM range, and it will prolly get you a couple extra horses and set you up for future mods.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I would recommend a Power Commander. I had one when I had the V&H Big Shots and it ran much nicer. I then added the Churchkey and remapped and it pulled much harder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen that Vance and Hines has there own type of ECU out, should I go with that because i have V&H pipes or should i go Power commander?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
warriornuts said:
I have seen that Vance and Hines has there own type of ECU out, should I go with that because i have V&H pipes or should i go Power commander?

If you talking about the V&H fuel pack, I have that on my bike. It seems to be working ok but if you have the money, spend the extra 100.00 andget the PCIII.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes, the power commander will solve your problem. Just to be clear, the power commander doesn't replace your stock ECU. It simply hooks in line with it. I would recommend the power commander over the Vance and Hines fuel pack because with the power commander you can adjust it to any future mods you decide to do. It's also a good idea to remove your AIS pump if it's still on the bike. It will help with the popping and backfiring. It's basically a smog pump for emissions and is completely unnecessary. Barons sells a kit to remove it and block off the ports on the engine.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Scoper50 said:
Yes, the power commander will solve your problem. Just to be clear, the power commander doesn't replace your stock ECU. It simply hooks in line with it. I would recommend the power commander over the Vance and Hines fuel pack because with the power commander you can adjust it to any future mods you decide to do. It's also a good idea to remove your AIS pump if it's still on the bike. It will help with the popping and backfiring. It's basically a smog pump for emissions and is completely unnecessary. Barons sells a kit to remove it and block off the ports on the engine.

You can adjust the fuel pack if you get other mods also. It may not be as precise as the PCIII but it will adjust for basic mods such as a BAK, pipes, etc. Now if you do internal engine mods (cams, etc,) you have to have a PCIII. PCIII Allows for every modification for the warrior and give you the most HP & Tq.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
guys,

Remember the ECU can be adjusted WITHOUT a power commander. Now I have not done this myself but there are plenty of "how to info" on this site regarding the ECU BUMP by way of using the buttons on our tach I believe it is, along with some simple wiring. If I'm wrong someone will correct me I'm sure.

This will bump (up or down) the fuel ratio across the rpm range. Do a search. There's a couple of experts out here who do it all the time.

In other words, the PC3 is NOT needed to bump the ECU.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I sell Power Commanders (PC)but for a set of pipes I would recommend the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak or the Techlusion (DobeckPerformance). ThePower Commanderwill need a map loaded via a laptop. Lots ofshops that sell thePowerCommander can load a map for you - but is that really better than the V&H unit or the Techlusion unit? Both of those unitsyou tune the unit without a laptop.

The guy who founded Dynojet sold the company and started Techlusion. http://www.dobeckperformance.com/dobeckstore.asp

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I mapped my power commander for my Warrior and that worked fine. I got one of the maps from a member that had the same configuration of pipes and air. Your chances of finding a member with your config and getting a map from them is very good. For best results you should get a dyno tune and have the tuner install a custom map.

Now when I got my Raider I put V&H pipes on it and a PR Air Kit. For fuel management I went with the FuelPak. Here is why;

1)I figured the Raider is still quite new and existing maps are not as plentiful as for a Warrior.

2) I live a long way from a tuner, so getting a custom map is a pain.

3) I can easily map the FuelPak myself without a computer.

4) I also figured with V&H pipes it seems logical that a V&H fuel manager should work together well. (This I assumed)

So far so good, but I didn't get many miles after the install last fall.

·
Registered
670 Posts
gchalifo said:
guys,

Remember the ECU can be adjusted WITHOUT a power commander. Now I have not done this myself but there are plenty of "how to info" on this site regarding the ECU BUMP by way of using the buttons on our tach I believe it is, along with some simple wiring. If I'm wrong someone will correct me I'm sure.

This will bump (up or down) the fuel ratio across the rpm range. Do a search. There's a couple of experts out here who do it all the time.

In other words, the PC3 is NOT needed to bump the ECU.

Not trying to open up a can of worms or anything, but there has been great debate on this site on the ECU bump. And the evidence shows that it does not change the fuel curve at all rpms. Just at Idle. In fact that ECU bump feature is not meant for this purpose. It is meant to compensate for a high milage worn out engine.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Scoper50 said:
It is meant to compensate for a high milage worn out engine.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

As long as the can is open.... I think the adjustment is there to accommodate EPA Carbon Monoxide emissions ("CO") regulations. In order to compensate for tolerance in the injectors themselves, particularly at small dwell settings. Just like the idle screw on carburetors. You remember the screw that got sealed up on engines after 1970.

Having said all that... The "CO" adjustment is useful in reducing Pipe Pop. And helps with off idle throttle response.

This is MY opinion, your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well let me say congrats on buying a great machine, and your story sounds almost exactly like mine. I also bought an 02 warrior and it had the longshots on it and the moron that owned the bike prior to me didnt out on a power commander and I also had tons of popping when decelerating. I went to various lengths to find out who could help and all I did was get the runaround from dealerships and told this was what I needed but they couldnt help me with it. Iwas lucky enough to find someonelocal that installs and sells the PCIII and does other fab work forbikes, so I made the purchase of the PCIII and putit on myself and had themput it on the dyno. I hadthe bike checked priorto installing the power commander and the bike was way off as far as fuel ratio and not putting out near enough power as it should have, after thePCIII, Dyno and installing a K&N air filters to provide better air intake the bike is running 100%better. There are many different opinions on here and elsewhere but I am happy with the results and thats what matters most to me. It was the best money I ever spent even though at the time I didnt really want to it was necessary for the longevity of the bike, if you want your bike to run well and last a long time it would be the while to have it done.

One more thing I did buy a different product than the PCIII first and was not happy with it, the PCIII is the best bet if you plan any other mods in the future.

good luck

chuck

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
YES!!!!!!!!!! Buy the PCIII from www.fuelmoto.com They will program it to your EXACT specifications and tune it to your personal bike with the current modifications on the bike. They are extermely knowleable with this product because "fuel and exhaust" is all that they do. They have maps that Dynojet doesn't even have because they test the bikes that have more configurations on them than what Dynojet offers. They are also the cheapest I could find.

I had a Dynotek FI Module originally on my bike which is basically the same as the V&H Fuel Pak and the Dobeck FI unit. It did help my bike run better but I installed a mapped PCIII a few weeks ago and noticed a HUGE difference in power and throttle response. Buy what you like but I would go through www.fuelmoto.com to make the deal. They know more about theseproducts than any other company I've looked in to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts