RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought we had upside down R1 forks but I been reading quite a few posts here where Warrior owners are talking about switching to R1 forks...but I thought we already have R1 forks... what's the story then? Can someone explain please. And how does one remove or slide down the dust covers so that one can get inside the tube with a piece of 35 mm film to clean out any crud. ( I have a small bit of oil film on my forks after riding and want to first try the method of cleaning them with the 35mm film trick) But first I need to remove those dust seals/covers without damaging them.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I always thought we had upside down R1 forks but I been reading quite a few posts here where Warrior owners are talking about switching to R1 forks...but I thought we already have R1 forks... what's the story then? Can someone explain please. And how does one remove or slide down the dust covers so that one can get inside the tube with a piece of 35 mm film to clean out any crud. ( I have a small bit of oil film on my forks after riding and want to first try the method of cleaning them with the 35mm film trick) But first I need to remove those dust seals/covers without damaging them.
I'm not sure it's the same as our bikes but I saved this video for when I ever need to clean mine lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not sure it's the same as our bikes but I saved this video for when I ever need to clean mine lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks Chomorro that vid was helpful. I cut a similarly shaped piece from an empty plastic shampoo bottle and did as is described in the vid clip. Worked perfectly for me. Would still like to know about whether our forks are R1 forks or not. If anyone has the answer to that one please chime in here thanks.

Reactions: Chomorro

·
Administrator
29,665 Posts
What are you talking about? Where did you read in any manufacturer info or ad that the Warrior has R1 forks? Please provide a link (url) to the fact. Its not enough on a technical forum to make some shouted claim. If you did even a ten second search here you would know better.

I recollect the ads may have correctly indicated R1-derived forks. The Warrior is heavier and has a longer wheelbase. The R1 and the Warrior forks are Kayaba (KYB) and the Warrior forks are based on the R1 but are tweaked and also valved for the added weight.

Please post the URL claimed in your original claim so we can share.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What are you talking about? Where did you read in any manufacturer info or ad that the Warrior has R1 forks? Please provide a link (url) to the fact. Its not enough on a technical forum to make some shouted claim. If you did even a ten second search here you would know better.

I recollect the ads may have correctly indicated R1-derived forks. The Warrior is heavier and has a longer wheelbase. The R1 and the Warrior forks are Kayaba (KYB) and the Warrior forks are based on the R1 but are tweaked and also valved for the added weight.

Please post the URL claimed in your original claim so we can share.
I didn't make any claim whatsoever never mind a shouted claim!!! I wrote that I always THOUGHT that our warriors had R1 forks. BIG difference in thinking something and making a claim that it is so. Even my title is a question not a statement.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know
Good to know what?
Ok so now I found out that it is actually a YZF-R1-derived suspension. I mistakenly interpreted that all along as meaning it is an R1 suspension. So it's different then and according to what I read on this forum it is a POS and total rubbish. Why are many owners on this forum swapping it out in various ways with real R1 front forks if the Warrior front forks are specially tweaked and valved to accommodate it's heavier weight and longer wheelbase as AW states. Please can someone explain to me why it is considered to be a POS and rubbish? Up to now I was quite happy with it while living in the dream of it being an R1 suspension...heck! I was even telling my buddies that it was. So what's the big problem with this R1 derived front suspension then?

·
Administrator
29,665 Posts
There is nothing wrong with it. It corners far better than any other cruiser I've ever ridden and I like mountain twisties. I guess I haven't read any serious posts claiming POS. I don't feel that way at all. There are reasons some went to actual R1 front ends, I've considered it myself. But the improvement over stock on the Warrior is not enough to make me do it. Warriors with R1 front ends corner a little better but the heavier weight make it feel unstable in hard stops. The stock front end is imo perfectly suited to the weight and performs perfectly enough for everything I have put it to. That's because it has a hint more travel and a hint larger valving in the same design.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is nothing wrong with it. It corners far better than any other cruiser I've ever ridden and I like mountain twisties. I guess I haven't read any serious posts claiming POS. I don't feel that way at all. There are reasons some went to actual R1 front ends, I've considered it myself. But the improvement over stock on the Warrior is not enough to make me do it. Warriors with R1 front ends corner a little better but the heavier weight make it feel unstable in hard stops. The stock front end is imo perfectly suited to the weight and performs perfectly enough for everything I have put it to. That's because it has a hint more travel and a hint larger valving in the same design.
Good to know

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
As stated Warrior forks are R1 derived.
Some here like better shock control beside the spring compression adjustment that Warrior forks have
& share with R1 forks the R1's also have a shock compression & dampening adjustment. The gold R1 forks up to 2001 are the same length as Warrior forks. 2002 & later black R1's are 7/8 shorter = better turn in if your into canyon carving. Brakes & wheels will for the most part swap out until you get into radial caliper units. R1 fender will work with a Warrior 18" wheel put a spacer between the rear fender bolt & the fender it will bulge the fender @ the rear for tire clearance. An R1 17" front wheel will help turn in + tire selection is improved.

02 R1 forks with 17" CZ wheel

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Good to know what?
Ok so now I found out that it is actually a YZF-R1-derived suspension. I mistakenly interpreted that all along as meaning it is an R1 suspension. So it's different then and according to what I read on this forum it is a POS and total rubbish. Why are many owners on this forum swapping it out in various ways with real R1 front forks if the Warrior front forks are specially tweaked and valved to accommodate it's heavier weight and longer wheelbase as AW states. Please can someone explain to me why it is considered to be a POS and rubbish? Up to now I was quite happy with it while living in the dream of it being an R1 suspension...heck! I was even telling my buddies that it was. So what's the big problem with this R1 derived front suspension then?
Thing you go from reading a couple of post and then claim their opinions like some sort of facts. Who knows what you read, when the post was made and who also whoever made that post might have had no motorcycle sense.
Listen when the R1 came onto the scene in 1998 it was unheard of and really set the tone for the others guys to follow and try to beat. So yes there was alot of "stuff & ideas" borrowed and used on the Warrior.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts