RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the stock air box to clean the mess the dealer made fixing my push rod leak. I love the way it looks without having that HUGE air box. It really shows off the jugs not having it there. Do you have to have a BAK to get rid of the stock air box?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Removing the right side cover leaves a gaping hole in your airbox (under the gas tank) that allows unfiltered air direct access to the throttle bodies - not a good idea.

To my knowledge a BAK is the only way around this. Good luck

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was unsure about the bak thing. But I went ahead and got Churchkey's BAK with Akitadog's coil relocation plate, that Churchkey has, and am extreamly pleased with it. It costs some $$$$$$$ but it is worth it. The second best thing I did was I found a local Warrior mechanic that had done some BAK installs, actually before I bought the BAK. He knew what he was doing and it took him four hours of relaxed easy going work. I'm not that great a mechanic. I'm really happy that I did it the way I did it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It's not the only option. In my case I purchased a Thunder Manufacturing Tornado kit to mount on the side. Obviously it is not as open as you're thinking of but it is better than the stock box.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Your best bet is to get a Churchkey VBAK, an AkitaDog relocate plate and an AIS removal kit. You'll be glad you did since it will get rid of the smog equip. and moves the coils under the tank. Improves looks and performance. If you don't have a PCIII you should get one. All of this with your exhaust make up the easy performance upgrades and can gain 10%, maybe more, HP and Tourque.

As mentioned in an earlier post if you don't have a BAK or the stock air box you will have unfiltered air going into your engine. Not good. I don't have experience with the Tornado Kit, but from what I see you would still need the stock air box if it were installed.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yep, you would need a BAK of some sort. Your choices, Churchkey, Patrick Racing, Baron's, Do It Yourself with some K&N RC-1290's a couple of small spectre filters and some 3/8" hose with clamps. I actually did the DIY and used the air intake elbows and bolted the filters to them, then installed onto the throttle bodies. Worked like a charm. It did take alot of time whereas Churchkey, PR, and Baron's have proper instructions. I'm glad I did the DIY BAK and am pleased with the performance upgrade but if I had it to do all over again I would go with Churchkey if I wanted to move the coils. If not, which I didn't, I would go with the Patrick Racing. BOTH kits are excellent but Churchkey comes with a relocation plate and PR doesn't. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Another choice is to put a big K&N filter on the snorkle coming out from under the tank. I ran this way for a while before getting a VBAK. Only issue I had was finding fine droplets of filter oil on my battery cover. It will run a little better, but it mostly just to make sure the air is filtered going to the engine.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
07midnite said:
Yep, you would need a BAK of some sort. Your choices, Churchkey, Patrick Racing, Baron's, Do It Yourself with some K&N RC-1290's a couple of small spectre filters and some 3/8" hose with clamps. I actually did the DIY and used the air intake elbows and bolted the filters to them, then installed onto the throttle bodies. Worked like a charm. It did take alot of time whereas Churchkey, PR, and Baron's have proper instructions. I'm glad I did the DIY BAK and am pleased with the performance upgrade but if I had it to do all over again I would go with Churchkey if I wanted to move the coils. If not, which I didn't, I would go with the Patrick Racing. BOTH kits are excellent but Churchkey comes with a relocation plate and PR doesn't. Good luck!

I didn't get a relocation plate with the Churchkey. I had to get the plate from AkitaDog. Still worth it. Why wouldn't you want to move those ugly coils, it sure opens up the front jug and cleans the bike up.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
gman said:
07midnite said:

I didn't get a relocation plate with the Churchkey. I had to get the plate from AkitaDog. Still worth it. Why wouldn't you want to move those ugly coils, it sure opens up the front jug and cleans the bike up.

My mistake, I could have sworn the Churchkey came with the relocation plate. Sorry! The main reason why I didn't move my coils was that the plate I made didn't allow for it. I could have picked up one from AkitDog but just didn'tthink about it. I really don't mind having the coils showing though. To me it makes the bike look more mechanical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts