RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a big bore kit for my bike and was just wondering if it is necessary to get the heads done as well (port and polished/oversized valves)?? I plan on speedstar cams and getting springs also.

My loving wife has agreed to let me do cams and HC pistons, but my dad suggested just going ahead with the big bore now instead of waiting. $500 difference.

Trying to conserve some cash to keep the old lady on bored!

Tried to search but there is so much info out there I though there might be some more opinions from some of you who have had it done since.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is more conveient, figure if it is all disassambled then its easier to do it all at once and you wont ever have to worry about taking it apart again and having down time. But it is more money so if you do want "all out" performance save your money untill you have enough to do it all at once. If your not an all out kinda person then don't worry. But then again you are contiplating a big bore kit.....LOL

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have to agree with darkstar plus why restrict a big bore motor with stock heads. I've never done this to a bike but my experience with cars would be if I could only do one it would be the heads this will help you maximize the motor as is especially if you already have pipes and an air kit. the volume of a big bore will be restricted by stock heads and will not be asimpressive as you might think.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I did not do the heads when we did my 108 and cams from Orient Express due to budget constraints and the intention to do the headwork later. Mine has dyno'd at 92Hp and 125ft/lbs so I'm pretty happy with that. It seems there is often a more pressing need for $$$$ so the headwork gets put back:} If at all possible I would advise getting it done at the same time.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
I had the big bore HC pistons put in without cams or headwork. I had so much trouble with pinging, I hardly rode the bike for about a year and a half. Right around the time the hurricane came through, I had the heads done and put the speedstar cams in. Now it runs great but Iwon't have a real feel for it until I get my clutch upgrade done.

I'm not sure I would do just the HC pistons if I was doing it over again. If I hadn't run into the pinging problem, it would've been just fine. It definitely made the bike faster.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Mine pinged badly after the mods we did so I used a good Octane Booster which really helped. Now I've gone to plugs that are two steps colder than stock and the pinging has all but gone. I didn't expect that.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts