RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys/gals think of drilling and tapping the frame? I am wanting to do this to move the regulator, but could it jeopardize the frame in anyway? Could the frame be weaker at this point and possibly break where I drilled/tapped?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I am/was concerning about the same issue, but in different areas of the frame there are holes and drilled holes that the MFG used to assemble the bike...so probably won't weaken the frame unless you do alot of it in a small area or with overly large holes....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi Girlzwarrior,

There was a crash bar on my bike for awhile and, I think, a 1/2" hole was drilled and tapped into the front of the frame. No negitive effects. The crash bar is off and the hole is still there. Still no problem.

I'm not super knowledgable on metals, but when you drill a hole in something, it usually does not reduce the strength.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I would not drill the frame. The aloy has been tempered to get the propper strength and rigidity. If you drill a hole you will heat the area and will over time cause stress crack there.
An aluminium frame is not something you want to mess around with. I would find a clamp of some sort that goes around the area, the stock frame may be drilled but it is done in a contriled enviroment and every weld and hole is calculated into the overall designe of the frame.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Drilling is a risk. Unless you know where the stress points are in the frame your likely to introduce weak points, or even if you pick the right spot you might heat up the area too much when drilling and weaking the material. But hey, why drill? Get yourself a thick scrap piece of Alumin. file/grind a curve into it so it fits flush with the frame and epoxy it to the spot you want. Then drill into that lump.
Adhesives have come a long way, some are even stronger than a weld, and the metal will fail, ripping and stretching, before the bond breaks. Hec, VOR dirtbikes are built with swingarms that have been glued together.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Suzuki glued the DR350 swing arm and only racers change them. I race mine for a few years and it never came apart.
Grumman avation's Tiger is glue bonded as well.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Strange idea...but I like it better then drilling. Any other ideas on how to mount the regulator relocation so that that the spoiler covers it?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured it out! I was to scared to drill/tap my frame so, I used 1/2 of Harley-Jones idea and 1/2 of cmos9 idea (Thanks Guys!)and got my regulator moved under the cowl. I will post pictures and "how to" later tonight. It was real easy, no drilling the frame used original holes.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Drilling holes does in fact weaken the tube, but a small hole is not likely to cause over-stressing. As far as heat-induced problems: if your drilling into aluminum is generating that much heat... you better get a new drill bit! No way are you heating the metal enough under normal conditions to cause any structural change to the aluminum.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I checked the hole in my frame and it is not on a tube, but on the flat brace between the two forward down tubes. I think I'm ok, I was worried for a second.[/emoticons/emotion-6.gif]

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Looks good Cheri. Like your boards too.

L8r,
CK

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote: I wonder if I have room to do the same... I have the lower cowl and the fined oil filter protector.

Bismarck, I didn't take a picture of it but the regulator sits about 1" away from the oil filter w/out fined protedtor. I left enough space to be able to get my filter on and off easily. You could always mount it a little bit lower and decrease the angle for more clearance.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
quote:Originally posted by girlzwarrior

quote: I wonder if I have room to do the same... I have the lower cowl and the fined oil filter protector.

Bismarck, I didn't take a picture of it but the regulator sits about 1" away from the oil filter w/out fined protedtor. I left enough space to be able to get my filter on and off easily. You could always mount it a little bit lower and decrease the angle for more clearance.

Thanks, I 'll keep this in mind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts