RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my warrior in for the trans recall and found out my warrior with only 5k miles has already worn out the Pulley shaft and front pulley - After reading on here I am not very happy that this is a problem that many of us have experienced -- After only 5k miles the pulley nut should not be losing itself and causing the shaft and pulley to strip. I believe with the CPS recall it all started with members complaining to Yamaha – I would like to do it again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shortly after having my recall done I started to notice an oil leak, so when I took it back in, I was told that I would need the shaft replaced and that would cost me around $700.

quote:Originally posted by scarfacebling

I recently had my warrior in for the trans recall and found out my warrior with only 5k miles has already worn out the Pulley shaft and front pulley - After reading on here I am not very happy that this is a problem that many of us have experienced -- After only 5k miles the pulley nut should not be losing itself and causing the shaft and pulley to strip. I believe with the CPS recall it all started with members complaining to Yamaha – I would like to do it again

·
Registered
228 Posts
I see you have the 31 tooth pulley. Do you know if it is aluminum or steel? The aluminum pulley does not last long. Especially if they didn't get the nut tight enough when the pulley was installed. There is also a locking tab that should be replaced when you change the pulley. I have an aluminum 31 on my standard R*. I just checked it a couple days ago. It was tight, but I found fine aluminum powder inside the cover. I have about 5000 mi. on the pulley. Did they replace the shaft for you? Most people I know now go with the steel pulley. It lasts a lot longer.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
OK, completely off topic but how do you have a five year old bike with only 5k on it??

And if you "or someone else" changed the pulley you are gonna have a hard time getting it covered. Not Yamaha's fault.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the issue when the bike was bone stock except the pipes -- I had them add the 31tooth pulley when the problem was discovered. I only have 5k on an 02 because i bought in it 05 with 750 miles on it and I live in MN so 2-3k a year is pretty normal with how limited our riding season is

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Well if the dealer put it on they will get to fix it for free. Go to the service department, start nice, work your way to dick.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think Yamaha have already covered that problem since the 06 models, at least the one regarding the nut getting loose. They changed the locking washer for one without the tabs. Anyway, you can also get the shaft gone with an over tensioned belt, so have to keep that in mind also. I can't take a pic but I can post the service manual pics, hope it can show the difference.

Insert Image:

38.27KB

Insert Image:

80.91KB

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by JamesD

Well if the dealer put it on they will get to fix it for free. Go to the service department, start nice, work your way to dick.

it was the sotck pullewy that was worn -- i replaced the stock one with the 31tooth this week. back to getting ppl to put their pulley problems in here

·
Registered
477 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Meatball

Start nice work your way to dick.....now that's funny.

Funny yeah, but some don't have much work to get there. It just eases into general discussion...[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
When I checked my pulley nut last year it was finger tight and the red dust was there. Fortunately there was negligible wear and I cleaned everything up and re-fitted with loctite and a new tab washer and torqued the nut to 120 ft/lbs. I have checked it recently and it's still OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I bought an "04" warrior last year and it only has 5,400 miles on it after complaining to the dealer about the noise by the gearbox they finally confirmed it. It appears that the nut somehow "backed" off and the pulley became loose and damaged!!!Bad thing was the warranty had just expired (even though it was an "04" model, I bought it new last year). Good thing was that the dealer was really good about it and convinced the distributor/Yamaha to warrant the work at no cost to me!!! (hats off to you guys if your reading this!!!). Hopefully there is a modification that they will install to keep this retaining
nut from again "backing" off. [}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
quote:Originally posted by dirtydan501

I bought an "04" warrior last year and it only has 5,400 miles on it after complaining to the dealer about the noise by the gearbox they finally confirmed it. It appears that the nut somehow "backed" off and the pulley became loose and damaged!!!Bad thing was the warranty had just expired (even though it was an "04" model, I bought it new last year). Good thing was that the dealer was really good about it and convinced the distributor/Yamaha to warrant the work at no cost to me!!! (hats off to you guys if your reading this!!!). Hopefully there is a modification that they will install to keep this retaining
nut from again "backing" off. [}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

What did the noise sound like??

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
The noise sounded like a "growling/binding" noise and was really noticable when slowing down. Was really obvious that it was from the gearbox area.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
quote:Originally posted by nititgye

Anyway, you can also get the shaft gone with an over tensioned belt, so have to keep that in mind also.

This also has nothing to do with the pulley nut coming loose, but everyone with shafts going bad needs to take a careful look at your belts like nititgye said. I'd bet good money that 98% of all these shafts going bad are owners faults from having belts too tight. There are a number of problems that stem from having over-tight belts and this is just one of them.

Learn how to adjust belts guys!!![/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JamesD

OK, completely off topic but how do you have a five year old bike with only 5k on it??

Shoot, I had 1500 on mine after three days of ownership. My break in ride was a 1400 mile ride to the mountains in Arkansas.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
148 Posts
I seccond DFW Warrior. When I got my 06 I had the same noise dirtydan says. I saw the nut couldn't rotate, so I discarted that. Then I loosen my belt a little and the noise went away. Turns out the belt was over tensioned from factory.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have an 04 with 18,000 mi. The one year warrenty is long gone. My drive pulley nut came completely off two months ago and had to be replaced. I got the new lock washer then. When I took my bike in for the cps recall, the driveshaft was cooked as well as the pulley.
I got my bike back yesterday. Yamaha DID pick up the cost of the drive shaft and pulley, parts only. I had to pay the labor charges. They agreed that I had done everything that I could to keep the nut tite, so the failure was due to the lock washer / nut design. I had had the mech at the dealer check and torque the drive pulley nut at every oil change, but that wasn't enough to head this problem off. It took a while to get the parts, but my baby's home now! Both Yamaha and my dealer stepped up and took good care of me on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Well looks like I got the Gremlin shaft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbINNq2VAJs

I had my rear tire off the ground and happened to turn it and discovered a disturbing sound coming from the drive shaft area.

As you can hear the sound in the video, you can see the pulley nut is loose and the pulley rocks on the shaft.
There is a redish sludge around the pulley and red oil at the bottom of the cover.

The real pisser is the dealer where I purchased the bike (Capitol Yamaha, Sacramento) won't take my bike in there shop, because of the after market pipes, AIS removed and PCIII installed. Their afraid of the EPA.

So looks like I'll have to search out another dealer to have this looked at.

Good thing I purchased the extended warranty.

Insert Image:

93.05 KB

Insert Image:

81.46 KB

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
quote:Originally posted by akitadog

Well looks like I got the Gremlin shaft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbINNq2VAJs

I had my rear tire off the ground and happened to turn it and discovered a disturbing sound coming from the drive shaft area.

As you can hear the sound in the video, you can see the pulley nut is loose and the pulley rocks on the shaft.
There is a redish sludge around the pulley and red oil at the bottom of the cover.

The real pisser is the dealer where I purchased the bike (Capitol City Yamaha) won't take my bike in there shop, because of the after market pipes, AIS removed and PCIII installed.

So looks like I'll have to search out another dealer to have this looked at.

Good thing I purchased the extended warranty.

I didn't think they could do that. Especially concidering the fact that the mods you have listed have nothing to do with the problem you are having.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts