RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive collected a bunch of "goodies" to install, upgrade, and generally get my MOD on!! I finally pulled the trigger today and took her into my nephew's body shop and tore her down.

Here's what I hope to accomplish:
* Full repaint
* Painted "102" on cam cover
* 3M Carbon Fiber print Vinyl Wrap top of side covers
* Polished Gas Cap
* Clearwater, Shorai Voltage Indicator with tri-color, single LED status light
* Carbon Fiber Shift link with Titanium Rod ends
* 10mm rear spool's for paddock stand
* CRG Arrow Bar-end Mirrors with barend turn light LED MOD (Thx AlanH) - DONE!
* Black Kuryakyn ISO-Grips - DONE!
* R1 Upper controls swap: Black Anodized (thx Jbat) - DONE!
* Black Anodized brake fluid res (thx 60 ft) - DONE!
* 128 db Air Horn in front Chin Cowl (thx LD) - DONE!
* Christok Custom rear fender w/recessed red LED run/brake & amber LED turns - DONE!
* Kickstand Mod (thx PDX warrior) - DONE!
* Rectifier relocate to Rear (thx Hurd & Wyoming) - DONE!
* Breakaway Throttle #5CP02 - DONE!
* Spinning Wagon Wheel (front pulley spacer - thxs HURD!) DONE!
* Custom 3 Spoke Chrome rear pulley (thx Griz) - DONE!
* Tricky Air Gen 2 Shock (thx Limo) - DONE!
* Wimmer Twin down tube Oil Coolers, custom plumbed from Wimmer - DONE!

There she sits, Dusty, Dirty, Naked, Alone & Far From Home...Winter Mods!

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/10-...-lust-my-bike-all-over-again.html#post2335153

Franken'tree: Cautionary Tale of a would be Arborist!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
cool man, will be watching this one to see how she turns out!

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
Looks like a good long list, better get to work! What color are you going with?? I guess someones gonna ask, so I will..why the bathroom?

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why the bathroom?

lol... Its a pretty big body shop with lots of cars and "things" going on. There's a men's and women's bathroom out back, and no women work in the production shop floor, so that has become a "spare room" that the owner lets me keep my bike in while I tinker. Its away from the daily activity, warm, clean, well lit, access to a body shop of tools and equipment, and its free! (well...it will cost me a nice dinner as a thank you)...

My Nephew's bike is also in the ladies room in front of mine! (Honda Fury)

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lookin real nice, crazy clean
Thanks man. Try'n to keep it that way. I'm mindfull of how sometimes "less is more", but want to have lots of little islands of "ohhhh, that's neat" , or " hey, that's a nice touch".

I'm sprinkle'n a dash of attention all over it. Let's hope it comes out like I see it in my head.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Hey Man!, nice shopping list,. and mod list to boot!

Whatcha doin for a suspension?? do you prefer that height, or are you lowering it right to the rear tire?

OH.....and by the by....I'm doing a Christo 1 off design in progress rear fender as well for my 260....you "do know" that those fenders/lights set up will be hard to get, if even possible a sticker in mass right?.....

So I figure I would at least put my christo fender on, and TRY for a sticker.....and if I get rejected, I'll have to ride home 5 miles, swap to the OEM fender and go back for my sticker....

just thinkin .....whats your plan?

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... those fenders/lights set up will be hard to get, if even possible a sticker in mass right?...
Watch'u talk'n bout Willis?!?

What's the issue with the fender and/or lights? The fender would be indistinguishable to most but warrior owners as being different, & I have full, perhaps even more visible than most bikes, dedicated red run/brake light & full fender width, amber left & right turn indicators.

This past year, I only had an 8 inch straight amber led bar split into 4 inch left right indicators below the oem shaped rear brake. Had zero issue with an inspection sticker or ridding infront of both local & state LEO's.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Watch'u talk'n bout Willis?!?

What's the issue with the fender and/or lights? The fender would be indistinguishable to most but warrior owners as being different, & I have full, perhaps even more visible than most bikes, dedicated red run/brake light & full fender width, amber left & right turn indicators.

This past year, I only had an 8 inch straight amber led bar split into 4 inch left right indicators below the oem shaped rear brake. Had zero issue with an inspection sticker or ridding infront of both local & state LEO's.
States that require a safety inspection can fail a vehicle because the lights (tail light, signals, headlight) is not DOT approved. It is dumb but because of some of the things idiots do, we all must pay.

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
inspection can fail a vehicle because the lights (tail light, signals, headlight) is not DOT approved. It is dumb but because of some of the things idiots do, we all must pay.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice list! Where did you find that cf shift rod? Ive been trying to find one of those. Do you have a part number and is it real cf?

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whats your plan?
Educate my self (and others?) first so I know what Im up against:

Attached PDF has the MA inspection requirements. Page 23 Section 4.06 Procedures for Motorcycle Inspections:

Below are some of the ones that caught my eye. Half the bikes I know shouldn't have a sticker...

• Plate has to be on the "rear" of the bike. *anything past the center line of the bike is "rear" to me.* Plate needs to be horizontal, and lit (visible from 60 ft without glare (p28:d11)) and with no decorative markings. (page 24 sec 2 a)

• Must have a muffler, and or baffles, and or screens or other internal parts for noise suppression to prevent unnecessary exhaust noise. Unnecessary is defined as anything louder than the OEM stock noise level. Exhaust must be shielded! (page 25 sec 4 a) FAIL for me!

• Handlebar grips must be shoulder height or lower (no ape hangers) and a minimum of 18 inches apart. (page 26 sec 5 e)

• Horn shall not be unreasonably loud or harsh... I have a 130 db airhorn mod im adding! (page 26 sec 6) FAIL for me!

• Tires MUST have DOT approval and markings on side wall. May not have "for race use only" or "not for street use" (page 27 sec 8 h)

• Lights ; Lenses must be SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) certification and markings. I called Radiantz and they are NOT SAE certified. It would cost them $5000 per item for the SAE certification, PER YEAR. The Hardcore line of LED's are all the same except for the color of the LED. SAE considers the red LED's as one item, and the yellow LED's as another $5000 item. Bureaucracy.... (page 27 sec 11 a) FAIL for me!

• Front signals need to be 16 inches apart, at least 4 inches from your headlight, and rear lights need to be 9 inches apart from the center of each left and right light! ( page 28 sec 11 F ) FAIL for me!

• Fail If auxiliary driving lights (fog lights...my lower fork glenda's) operate when the high beam is on (page 29: sec11 G ) FAIL for me!

• Must have Factory equivalent "CHAIN" guard. Its under the section ("D") titled "CHAIN DRIVEN MOTORCYCLES". It makes no reference to Belt Driven bikes. The next subsection specifically uses the words "chain" and "sprocket". We have belts and pulleys...? Is this an oversight/loophole? (page 29: sec 12 D #2 )

• Must have at least a LEFT side view mirror and CAN NOT have an odd projection or edge to cause injury. (page 30, sec 17) Half of Kuryakyn's mirrors are a FAIL...

Considering this, I now have a (fail safe?) plan for my inspection sticker : Hand the inspection sticker guy a $50 BEFORE the ($29) inspection and tell him "keep the change for lunch".

Attachments

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Can't wait to see her finished! Hard to tell from the pics, kinda looks like you've already done the coil relocation? Between that and the rectifier relocate, that frame will look nice and naked!!

Also an easy mod and cost $2.00, relocated the gas tank vents tubes that run down the front of the frames downtube. Just use the "T" fitting to connect them together and get a long tube and run it down so it dumps out by the rear shock.

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kinda looks like you've already done the coil relocation?
Also an easy mod and cost $2.00, relocated the gas tank vents tubes and run it down so it dumps out by the rear shock.

Hey Wyoming! Yes, I bought it with the relocated coils and sensors. It will be NAKED!!

I also already have the relocated gas vent to below the swing arm pivot. :D

Maybe when its done...your wife can come take some pics on it for me...:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Good luck with the mods, there's a long list!

I would set up the rear fender first so that its all "as it should be", then send all the tins off to whoever's doing them to get painted BEFORE you get too far into any of the other stuff.
Its usual that the paint work ends up being the hold-up at the end.
If they are painting it there, being as its a "friend's" job, it prob won't be a priority so get it in the paint queue asap!

Looking forward to watching the progress.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would set up the rear fender first so that its all "as it should be"......being as its a "friend's" job, it prob won't be a priority so get it in the paint queue asap!

Hey Jarv

Thats exactly what were doing. Get all the drilling and mounting of clips and brackets worked out, THEN remove them, and go through the sanding and finishing.

As for the paint que: Your correct, and I was aware of this. I "INSISTED" on paying my nephews boss (owner) for painting my bike (although greatly reduced) to make sure that I wasn't de-prioritized.

we'll see how it works out!

1 - 20 of 324 Posts