RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change my stock coil set up to Dyna Coils but before I do, I wanted to gain some knowledge on the subject. First, out of all the coils, I do not know which one I should use on the warrior. There are several Ohm ratings on the coils and I don't understand what an Ohm is or why there are different Ohm ratings. The single or dual output I understand, that is just the plug wires. So please chime is and help me with this lack of knowledge. It's one thing for someone to tell me to just go with the specific dyna coil but it doesn't help me understand it. Thank you everyone in advance. Keep it frosty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know which coil to get, I just don't understand Ohms and why there are several Ohm ratings. Just wanted to increase my knowledge bank on this one. Thank you for the part number though.

·
Administrator
29,665 Posts
Ohms are resistance to electrical flow, and not so much super-important in this case. The ECU/sensor array will manage events that will lead to collapse of the electrical field and the juice will hit the spark plugs. You'll not need to worry much about the coil's ohm rating as the DC2-1's are known to be perfect for the application and reliable.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
As i recall the Dyna DC2-1 is rated at 1.5 ohms +/- primary
This is very critical in regards to the Warrior ECU capability. The Yamaha factory shop manual has a specific tolerance for the OEM ignition coil primary resistance and the DC2-1 fits this spec.

If you run an aftermarket ignition coil that has less ohm's (Draws more Current) you'll run the risk of overloading the ECU triggering contacts and burn them up :(

Yamaha uses TCI ignition across the board so stay within the specified range as listed in the shop manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alan, hmm I didn't know that about the resistance being to low can burn out the triggering contacts, good to know sir. I do still have a question I'm sure has been answered a million times, sorry for that. 8s it worth buying dc2-1 coils with your basic air and exhaust mods? Or would you use them if say you bought a set of Patrick racing hc pistons or other go fast stuff that maybe more extensive? Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts