RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 Warrior with SS pipes, Churchs' v-bak, andpcIII . Last week I added the Dynacoils for good measure understanding that they delivered no more hp, just consistent, reliable fire. All I can say is WOW...my bike has NEVER ran like this. I was moderately impressed after adding the v-bak,then I had a friend here on the forum send me an AMAZING map that made a huge diff from the pc III suggestedmap for my mods. However, I still had dead spots and inconsistent throttle response through out the range of throttle position and rpms.I just assumed that the last bike I owned being a suped up crotch rocket that maybe I was just expecting too much out of a cruiser.So last weekI added the coils just for good measure and a prospectful gas mpg gain. After my first ride with the new coils i felt like I had a new bike! The dead spots are gone and I have consistent STRONG throttle response throughout the gears. I dare say that my old crotch rocket would be hard pressed to keep up with me now!I highly suggest this mod for those feeling like they justcan't find the map with a sweet spot that makes their bike strong in all gears. The problem could be in your coils. Don't forget to change the gap ! It is money well spent ( about 150.00 with new wires and coils from Phats ).

Jason

PS here is the post i used for a guide: http://rswarrior.com/forums/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=15

·
Registered
19 Posts
Soooo... which coils did you get, there's 3 on DynaTek site. DC1-2 or DC4-1 (these both have 2 outputs ie: 2 plugs). Also, is it possible to get the map so I can try it? Just pm me.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
IF you already have the coil relocation plate under your tank will these Dyna coils fit in the relocation plate? or do you need another bracket to hold the Dyna coils like i've seen on a few other members bikes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to modify hole pattern and widen rectangles for coils. You may have to turn the cone on your vbak to make it fit also. It is a tight fit, but it will all go in there :)

Jason

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
johnpettywarrior said:
I  had to modify hole pattern and widen rectangles for coils. You may have to turn the cone on your vbak to make it fit also. It is a tight fit, but it will all go in there :)

Jason
I just ordered the same coils and wires as you did. I have the coil relocation plate. I'll have to do a little modification to it. Doesn't sound to hard. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Thanks for the diagram johnpettywarrior. I finally got around to do the Dyna coils. What a pain in the @ss. Not a hard project to do, but time consuming. I had to take everything off my coil relocation plate so i could modify it to accommodate the bigger coils. I have to say it runs better. It sure does have a stronger throttle response. Maybe no more horsepower, but it sure is snappier. Definitely a must have modification.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Baron Customs has listed for a warrior DC4-1 Dynatek coils. I wonder what the difference is between the DC2-1 and the DC4-1. The DC4-1 is listed for the Road Star also. Just wanted the correct one.

·
Administrator
28,580 Posts
Yes, use the DC2-1.

The confusion is the Baron's website shows DC4-1 for the Warrior which appears to bewrong since the Warrior OEM coil Primary Resistance is 1.31 ~ 1.79 Ohms. I've emailed Barons and Dynatek for an answer. See answer in post below.

The window of opportunity is this: Its the Denso OEM coils that are Primary Resistance 1.31 ~ 1.79 Ohms and its still possibe the ignition system is capable of greater numbers. So rather than assume, I asked.

To be safe,Iremoved the Popular Mods link to the DC4-1 on Baronsuntil there is ananswer.

The DC2-1 works fantastically by all accounts since 2003.

The DC4-1 doesn't show up in any post I found written by members actually installing.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Arizona Warrior, because I was just about to order the wrong ones. Been looking to do this for a good while.

·
Administrator
28,580 Posts
Stick with the DC2-1 for the Warrior as above.

Here is Dynatek'sanswer, confirming Baron's website presentlyincorrectly lists the DC4-1 coil.

Hello Mike.
I do not believe we show the Roadstar Warrior on our website, (as we have no ignition system available for it) only the Roadstar. They are 2 different machines. I have no specifications for the Warrior coils, but if the factory spec is 1.3 to 1.7, the DC2-1 should work fine. Thank you,
Larry Nelson
Technical Support
Dynatek

In case helpful, the R* has seen three basic model changes and I don't know which of those the DC4-1 fits but could presume a guess. The early model was 98ci carburated, the mid-model was 102ci carburated, and the new '08-'09 model is 102ci injected al la R*W motorwise.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I called Dyna myself with a few questions and they didn't have any specs on the Warrior. They were very clear that they couldn't recommend installing one until I told them the range that I found on here. After that they were very helpful and definitely recommended dc2-1's.

This wasn't an impossible mod by a long stretch but it did take up the better part of 2 days. Specially since I made my own wires by reusing the stock boots and silicone wire from NAPA. It does even out the idle quiet a bit and makes the throttle response almost instantaneous.

Next comes the side mount kit when I make up my mind on what exactly I want it all to look like when I get done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
Yes, use the DC2-1.

The window of opportunity is this: Its the Denso OEM coils that are Primary Resistance 1.31 ~ 1.79 Ohms and its still possibe the ignition system is capable of greater numbers. So rather than assume, I asked.

To be safe,Iremoved the Popular Mods link to the DC4-1 on Baronsuntil there is ananswer.

The DC2-1 works fantastically by all accounts since 2003.

The DC4-1 doesn't show up in any post I found written by members actually installing.

I installed the 4-1. Not enough spark for a decent burn. Kept backfiring and running rich. Luckily I had 2-1s from another bike i have. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
for the people that have done this mod, what other mods have been done, eg HC pistons.

i understand that doing mods like those could snuff out the spark and stronger coils would be an advantage.

and what did the people that did this change the plug gap to?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts