RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hve hc pistons, pr bak, pciii, went 1 colder on plugs, and gapped to 32 or 36.(I dont remember), d&d exhaust. When I put the 4-1 at first I thought I installed wrong (loose wire, broken plug wire, something) but I started thinking logically. If im not getting good burn, why? not enough power to the coils or coils have too much resistance to the plugs.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I installed the Dyna DC2-1 coils with NGK Iridium plugs and Dyntatek 8mm wires today.

It took me all day!!!

I have a DIY VBAK with the coil relocation plate from the Baron's kit. I had to cut the coil holes bigger in the plate, and rotate my rear cylinder filter outwards, to accomplish the install. I ran a .026" gap on the plugs.

The bike runs excellent. Way smoother, and instant throttle response. There is a touch of backfiring between gears and on decel, so I must be a little lean(?) The bike idles at a steady 900 rpm's, so that's great.

I need that Darkstar map for Propipe and VBAK. If anybody's got it, please send it my way!

·
Registered
54 Posts
RSWforum,

Hey all, I've got a question about the dyna coil orientation on the bike. I see this thread reflects that the l/h coil powers the #2 (forward) cylinder while the r/h coil powers the #1 (rear) cylinder. Also the l/h coil has the red-black/white-black leads while the r/h coil has the red-black/orange-black leads. This is exaclty what my application looks like on my 2002 warrior.

My issue is that according to the XV1700 manual I read that ignition coil 1 (l/h) powers the #1 (rear) cylinder (see chapter 2-38 item #4, and chapter 2-40 item #1) (also notice the wiring diagram in chapter 7-16 seems to reflect the l/h coil as having the black-red/black-orange lead orientation). I've also referenced this other thread on this forum: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/14-installed-warrior-modifications-accessories/111863-dyna-coils-accel-wire-set.html

From all this, I see my current application is opposite to what I'm seeing in the manual and the above link so I gather that my coils are actually electrically hooked up correctly (I don't notice any ignition problems when riding) but the left and right coils were probably switched from left to right (and vice-versa) upon re-installation when the previous owner installed the Baron's BAK kit and reloc. plate. Just a note, I'm working from the assumption that the coil orientation was the same for all model years as I don't see any addendums regarding any changes in this area from the maintenance manual.

Any insight or direction to a thread I haven't seen yet would be appreciated, guys! Thanks again for the help!

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
WOW this installation looks like it would be a lot easier than my 6 degree triple trees which I started this winter and hopefully will have finished shortly (for those of you who want to do the new trees don't worry , most of my time delay is due to fibreglass work) and this thread has provided great insite and just when I thought that I had licked the mod bug.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Aren't the DC2-1 6 Volt rather then 12 volt ??? I understand the resistance is what we want.. but will we not shorten the coils expected life running it in a 12 volt system ?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Thanks man I just wanted to make sure before shelling out like $125 for a pair unless anyone knows of a less expensive place to purchase them.

This Forum has been a great help. !!!! Ty all for being here!

·
Administrator
27,737 Posts
One pair of two coils.
Each coil has two outlets so one coil feeds both spark plugs on one cylinder.

You need four car-type spark plug wires with selected ends (some straight some 90 and some 45 you can see when you look at the top of the motor with the tank off). Plus decide where you want to mount them (stock location or other).

Lots of ink on this cool mod.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts