RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cycle World just released the official dyno numbers for the 2009 VMax:

174 rwhps and 113ftlbs at the wheel on the CW dyno.
The most powerful motorcycle they have ever tested!

Maybe if we can get Church to develop an air kit and then get a pipe designed, we can get some decent horsepower out of this beast!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
It's a good start but I'm shooting for more than 200 at the rear wheel. This thing is going to be a freakin beast.

Do you know if ALL orders are running late? Or just the first shipment is pushed back.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Those of us who can't afford 1 aren't going to be as enthusiastic as you guys on the waiting list.My 1st impression of it was ugly but it kind of grows on you.If it had forward controls I would think about trading the Warrior in but that much power doesn't lend itself well to that.The reviews & Yamaha claim it's king of the hill but until a1/4 mile race between a Busa & a Vmaxshows otherwise I can't see it on top.The Vmax has197 hp but it weighs 730 lbs vs the Busas 175 hp & 470 lbs.The power to weight ratio has to favor the Busa/ZX14.The top end is electronically limited by the meatheadPTB @ Yamaha to around 145MPH in the 1/4 mile run according to 1 review that I'll link below.The Busa is limited to a top end of 186MPH in 6th gear whichcan be overrided by buying a TRE which tells the bike it's always in 5th gear.There's always a way around those BS limiters!I don't know why Yami didn't stay with the 186 limitthey & the other Japanese makers voluntarily agreed to but it is what it is.Since you wont see your bike until December that gives you time to save your $ for the premium fuel only that it requires.You'll want to go to the darkside when you see how fast your rubber goes but what a rush!

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2009-star-motorcycles-vmax-full-review-86751.html

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CruiseMissile said:
It's a good start but I'm shooting for more than 200 at the rear wheel. This thing is going to be a freakin beast.

Do you know if ALL orders are running late? Or just the first shipment is pushed back.

Also my goal....200 rwhp and she's gotta get down to 600 lbs......That carbon fiber is expensive but it's a must have.

I plan on going to a 240/250 which will add weight but it's gotta get more tread on the ground.

I think the european shipments are still on time butallUS shipments are pushed back accordingly (basically 4-6 weeks.)

I can't wait to see the first video of you ripping it up in the dragon!...I hope to get up there to ride with you next year! We'll smoke James!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The Busa & ZX14 will eat the V-max. The V-max has the same HP as a Busa. The Busa is just a few ft/lbs away from being equal to the V-Max. But, were comparing apples to oranges. The V-max isn't a sprot bike like the Busa, ZX, Gixxer.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HoosierBusa said:
Those of us who can't afford 1 aren't going to be as enthusiastic as you guys on the waiting list.My 1st impression of it was ugly but it kind of grows on you.If it had forward controls I would think about trading the Warrior in but that much power doesn't lend itself well to that.The reviews & Yamaha claim it's king of the hill but until a1/4 mile race between a Busa & a Vmaxshows otherwise I can't see it on top.The Vmax has197 hp but it weighs 730 lbs vs the Busas 175 hp & 470 lbs.The power to weight ratio has to favor the Busa/ZX14.The top end is electronically limited by the meatheadPTB @ Yamaha to around 145MPH in the 1/4 mile run according to 1 review that I'll link below.The Busa is limited to a top end of 186MPH in 6th gear whichcan be overrided by buying a TRE which tells the bike it's always in 5th gear.There's always a way around those BS limiters!I don't know why Yami didn't stay with the 186 limitthey & the other Japanese makers voluntarily agreed to but it is what it is.Since you wont see your bike until December that gives you time to save your $ for the premium fuel only that it requires.You'll want to go to the darkside when you see how fast your rubber goes but what a rush!

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2009-star-motorcycles-vmax-full-review-86751.html

The new VMax was never meant to be a top speed machine. Just the Fastest Accellerating Most Powerful Production Motorcycle ever made. I think stock for stock it will give a busa a serious run for it's money in the 1/4. Even if the busa is faster, that's quite an accomplishment, it's not a sport bike.

The limiters will be gone the first week after release. Buying premium fuel and replacing rubberis a small price to pay to be able to smoke the tire through the first 3 AT WILL! Lets see the busa do that.

It's a "Stoplight to Stoplight" world, my friend....going 180mph is useless.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
OK,OK....saw the new VMAX in person a few weeks ago at the RockStore in Malibu. I went straight to the brake lever and pulled......yikes!!! the lever came all the way to the handlebar.....my brakes on the Warrior feel much better than that, and forget even comparing it to the brakes on my ZX6R (now equiped with ZX14 Nissin calipers). The new VMAX may be the stoplight king.....but I guarantee you it will be bich-slapped in the canyons here in SoCal with those lousy brakes. The reality is thatif you're riding the VMAX around hangouts where VRODS, Busas, 1098 Ducs, and even Desmosedici RRs are playing, it just doesn't seem to be as impressive. Nevertheless,in the right hands and with some weight reduction, the MAX can become a force to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
"It's a "Stoplight to Stoplight" world, my friend....going 180mph is useless."

AHHH---I think it woulddepend on how far apart the stop lights are.

Besides: It takes brass nadstostay in the saddle on a non fairing bike over 150. Even with full fairings when you come out of a tuck around 150 to use your body as an air brake you better be holding on.

We have a saying in the oval track pits: "When the green flag drops the BS stops"

Until they line up its all watering hole talk.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RX_Warrior said:
OK,OK....saw the new VMAX in person a few weeks ago at the RockStore in Malibu. I went straight to the brake lever and pulled......yikes!!! the lever came all the way to the handlebar.....my brakes on the Warrior feel much better than that, and forget even comparing it to the brakes on my ZX6R (now equiped with ZX14 Nissin calipers). The new VMAX may be the stoplight king.....but I guarantee you it will be bich-slapped in the canyons here in SoCal with those lousy brakes. ........

Seriously? you've decided the brakes are "lousy" from a sitting still level pull?

I can't stop laughing right now, that's downright hilarious!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Ken (A.K.A. Big Shasta) said:
Seriously? you've decided the brakes are "lousy" from a sitting still level pull?

OK, I did ask the new owner if he would let me test ride it up the canyon and back but he said no, then I offered to chase him up the canyon with my Warrior, and he said no....lol...

Look, I understand that you cannot judge a brake system from just pulling the lever, but c'mon....you think I'm gonna go 150+mph on that thing and pull back on a brake lever that feels like mush. This is just my initial impression....as more data and sightings come out, I will improve my observations. As I said before, it is very nice to be able to go to a biker hangout like the RockStore and get to touch, look, and ask important performance questions from owners of Busas, Duc 1098, SuperDukes, Desmo RRs, Aprilias, etc, and compare the running gear on each instantly. All I'm saying is that most bikes with that much power usually have better feel at the brake lever. Maybe because the bike is equipped with hydraulic ABS system, it feels like that....I don't know.

Bottom line, as Woody mentioned, the BS will stop as soon as the green flag drops......and around here, there are plenty of bikes that will line up...

p.s. I'm glad I made you laugh....think of it as therapy.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RX_Warrior said:

OK, I did ask the new owner if he would let me test ride it up the canyon and back but he said no, then I offered to chase him up the canyon with my Warrior, and he said no....lol...

Look, I understand that you cannot judge a brake system from just pulling the lever, but c'mon....you think I'm gonna go 150+mph on that thing and pull back on a brake lever that feels like mush. This is just my initial impression....as more data and sightings come out, I will improve my observations. As I said before, it is very nice to be able to go to a biker hangout like the RockStore and get to touch, look, and ask important performance questions from owners of Busas, Duc 1098, SuperDukes, Desmo RRs, Aprilias, etc, and compare the running gear on each instantly. All I'm saying is that most bikes with that much power usually have better feel at the brake lever. Maybe because the bike is equipped with hydraulic ABS system, it feels like that....I don't know.

Bottom line, as Woody mentioned, the BS will stop as soon as the green flag drops......and around here, there are plenty of bikes that will line up...

p.s. I'm glad I made you laugh....think of it as therapy.

Here you go RX, this should help.RSwarrior's very own Fxstein (he started starvmax.com and is sort of a yamaha insider.) got to take one out in the twisties and flog it....Here's his write up and the video....He was actually impressed with the brakes.

http://www.starvmax.com/Forum/Site-News-Articles/9851-I-N-S-A-N-I-T-Y.html

http://www.starvmax.com/News/V-Max-News/THE-RIDE-First-09-VMax-Ride-on-Tape.html

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The new VMax was never meant to be a top speed machine. Just the Fastest Accellerating Most Powerful Production Motorcycle ever made. I think stock for stock it will give a busa a serious run for it's money in the 1/4. Even if the busa is faster, that's quite an accomplishment, it's not a sport bike.

The limiters will be gone the first week after release. Buying premium fuel and replacing rubberis a small price to pay to be able to smoke the tire through the first 3 AT WILL! Lets see the busa do that.

It's a "Stoplight to Stoplight" world, my friend....going 180mph is useless.

Yeah, but a Busa/R1/Gixxer1k does **** near 100mph in first gear. Gear them down to about 50mph in first and it will not stop burning the rubber, no matter the gear. When I purchased my R1 brand new from Yamaha, I could ignite the rear tire from 1st to 2nd to 3rd with ease on the stock tire.

I'm not going to defend a Busa or a V-Max. If it makes you feel "larger" have at it and enjoy. This is apples and oranges.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts

+1 .... ROTFLMAO .... Ken i'm with you

Brembo radial pump up frt, dual 6-piston mono blockradial mountcalipers, wave rotors all around and ABS. I suspect, although i'm not sure,that the brake & clutchlevers are adjustable for modulationas well. These brakesare nothing less than excellent and there should beenough force to draw the rotors from straw to blue in color as req'd

RX_Warrior ... on another note, if that was my ride, and i caught you tinkering w/ my brake lever w/o asking permisson,i would have broken your skinny arm

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Thanks for the links Ken. Igreatly value your and FXNs opinions about MCs. FXN has been a very valuable member who has provided all of us with great information. I personally have no brand loyalty and really want to know the real performance characteristics of each bike. Next year, I'm going to be in the market for a naked street fighter, and so I'm evaluating the MAX against the SuperDuke, Speed Triple, BKing, Z1000. I mainly ride in the canyons, so brakes, ground clearance, and of course low end torque are most important to me. From the pix on his site, it looks like ground clearance may also be an issue with the MAX....maybe a set of nice rearsets could help.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
AlanH said:
RX_Warrior ...if that was my ride, and i caught you tinkering w/ my brake lever w/o asking permisson,i would have broken your skinny arm

Hi Alan, how you been?.....so you got someting against skinny people....hahahahhah....OK,OK, I'm looking more closely at this now....it is possible that the 6 piston calipers on the MAXmay be the same as the ones on the 2008 R1....not sure, but will double check. Recently I've been very interested in brake systems and that probably explains why I've been walking around the RockStore grabbing people's brake levers (with their permission of course)...LOL....thru talking to other riders, I was able to SIGNIFICANTLY improve the brakes on my ZX6R, by switching to ZX14 Nissin 4 piston calipers. Brembo recently came out with an adjustable M/C called RCS19 which allows adjustability between 19x20 for the track and 19x18 for the street. That may also be a good upgrade for those who plan on taking the VMAX to the next level.

BTW, why do guys think Yammi went with 18inch wheels on the MAX?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Hey Cruise are you buying one? If you do bring it down so we can go for ride. If you don't come on down any way.I know why they put a governor on the new MaX, it is so they can make more money selling the after market part to by pass it. I ain't hating on the guys who ordered one, heck I might buy one the second time around.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Preacherman said:
Hey Cruise are you buying one? If you do bring it down so we can go for ride. If you don't come on down any way.I know why they put a governor on the new MaX, it is so they can make more money selling the after market part to by pass it. I ain't hating on the guys who ordered one, heck I might buy one the second time around.

I dropped a deposit in Aug. and it will be delivered in Feb. Then the moddin begins. But it will never be as fast as the R1. It has 167 rwhp and only weighs a touch over 300lbs. the Max only has 7 more ponies but weighs twice as much. However the Max is way more comfy for the older rider

I had the R1 at the Cherohala a couple weeks ago. Iglanced at the speedojust asit turned from 179 to 180. I know it had alot more to offer but that was cruising right along for that road. I would guess the R1 speedos are optomistic as our warriors but it was still pretty fast.

What are you waitng for? Get one...you know you wantit. Hurrybefore you are too old to enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts