RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dynojet pc v ?

i saw a advretisement online for a dynojet pcv today with auto tune, ignition adjustments and rev extend. has anyone given one of these a try yet if so whats the low down? are they any good?

·
Administrator
29,687 Posts
Re: dynojet pc v ?

I was thinking the PC5 needs oxygen sensors in the exhaust pipe(s) which helps it set-up a close-loop system and auto-tune as you ride. Other brands of these have been around awhile now, maybe the PC5 has a widget the others don't I haven't looked at it for awhile. If you fit your Warrior with oxygen sensor(s) you can probably use it - but that is an assumption since I haven't investigated it for my bikes, they are all outfitted already.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

I picked up my preprogrammed PCIII from these guys at a great price. They offered the PC-V but I wanted to go with something that is tried and true. Anyway, give them a call or email. All they do is fuel systems and exhaust tuning. EXPERTS!

By the way, my bike runs MUCH stronger with their map for my bike and has never run better.

·
Registered
349 Posts

I went to the Dyna site, but it said the PC V is only available for the 09 Warrior, is there really any difference in the ignition modules between 02 and 09?

·
Administrator
29,687 Posts

The '02 ignition is Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI).

There is conflicting info from Yamaha published materials on the '03 - it's either CDI or TCI. There could be some of each?

The '04-'09 is Transistor Controlled Ignition (TCI).

I'm not aware that the 2009 Warrior has oxygen sensors. Maybe an '09 owner will chime-in?

The Dynoject PC3 and PC5 work with both CDI and TCI - but the PC5 needs more goodies than exist stock to maximize itself.

Mustfire said:
I went to the Dyna site, but it said the PC V is only available for the 09 Warrior, is there really any difference in the ignition modules between 02 and 09?

·
Registered
20 Posts

talked to mike shefler at Dj last week. the main difference between the 2008-2008 and 2009 warrior is the ecu plug. power commanders are now outfitted with an actual ecu harnesses instead of "tap in" molex connectors like they used on the pcIII, whichthe prior year harnesses are apparently in the making. Mike said they are expecting to release the pc 5 for the previous year warriors come the end of april - but that was a guesstimate as there is no set release date. Which is kind of an inconvenience =P
more tidbits:

The PCV isnearly the same as the PCIII when it comes to adjustablility, and will perform all the same tricks as the old dog except they integrated the "multifunction hub" wiring nightmare into the main unit and reduced the size to about 3/4 the thickness and to about the footprint of a credit card, adapted anauto tune feature, and "allowes 10 points of adjustment up from 9 on the pciii". PCV still alows the use ofthe map switch, analog output, analog input, quick shift add on, so on and so forth as for what accessories cables come with it (or not), i dont know. The warriordynojet ignition module is yet to be adapted to the warrior PCV andwe STILL dont have the ability to adjust ignition timing or rev limit with just the main unit alone - unlike what you can do with the harley PCV - i wasnt even going to ask him why ~some technicality im sure. As for the LCD display, you can still use your old display when they release the campatible firmware andpossibly buy the cable (if its not already available or included). From what i was told the wiring on the new power commander 5 is all internally attached - so no more unsightly white connectors on the end of uber short harnesses draped off the mainunit/hub as before - of course we go to the auto tune....
The auto tune explains itself - a like priced addition to the power commander that automatically tunes your bike per the specific air-fuel setting.. so instead of adjusting injector timing we now set the specific air-fuel ratio and the auto tune adjusts the injector timing for you - typical of all cars and trucks these days - bikes arent too far from this mandate im sure of that..plus the performance and ease of adjustability are on the positive. Its still recommended you dyno the bike to get your basic map set. From what i hear the warrior "sweet spot" is other than the common 14.7:1 of most gas engines.... im sure if you do some searching youll find the post on here...

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts

So does anyone know if the PC V will take PC III maps?

And would the Auto Tune close the loop on our Warrior.... working as a O2 sensor in a way making automatic changes like a close loop system?

·
Registered
20 Posts

I downloaded the new software for the power commander 5 and it doesnt seem to recognize the pcIII maps.. kind of a dumb thing i think, maybe there will be some software revisions soon (hopefully). My only guess with that one is the difference in the number of adjustments getting bumped up one, maybe it would cause a potential for issues... but thats just anunedumacated guess..might be anotherDJ secret because theres very little info available!

Well if we had harleys we could have an open-close loop system! apparently for the warrior there is -NO- "warm up" or open loop setting that can be adjusted, that unless of course someone is willing to go to work for dynojet - seems they have a position open for a programmer.. and do a little firmware editing =) kinda makes me a little annoyed at the fact they havent devised a way to modify settings or piggy back the "harley only" settings.... it is what it is i guess.

I did some digging into that open-close loop mess the other night. I do know the auto tune can be set to "tune" for a specific period of time; i.e. "close loop", then reverts back to what we would call open loop after the tune time is done... If it can be turned on indefinately, that would be another question to ask dynojet...i couldnt do much in the software w/o apower commander5hooked up to it. Theoretically with even the PCIII (and even PC-v)youcould hook up a closed loop system of sorts with a narrow bandoxygen sensorplugged intothe analog input - if youwere to dynoyour bike it should give you a bit of a margin or error in a map, buteven then some mods or even a drastic change of temperature might disrupt the tune as it is relying on a pre set map where aswhen theauto tune is on, or in a true closed loop system, the managementconstantly monitors and makes adjustments... In my past dealings with cars we had a nice thing called greddy e-manage where you could hook up your exhaust temp, intake pressure/vacuum, etc, and etc... if dynojet were to do that for us, all i could say is hot dam.. but all we have is one analog input
... and now a wideband auto tuner - something one could have expected that from DJ a long time ago... instead of that "wideband commander" which was nothing more than a nice, cleanmonitoring system.

sorry guys i dont intend on being a brainiac here but ive been reading and searchingabout all this crap for the past couple months for my own bike... ive had enough help on here i feelthat not contributing what i have found and experienced would be selfish... so hope it helps a little

Chris

·
Registered
263 Posts

I had talked to dj yesterday he told me to cut and paste the map.ie transfer by hand all corresponding numbers for each square.

·
Administrator
29,687 Posts

As of this writing, there are no PCV map files available yet on-line for the Warrior.

Because the map file format has additional data fields, and an added data column, you can't just rename the PC3 map file. Thereforecut and paste is a good way to go until Dynojet has a base map file set available for download on their website.

To use the auto-tune function you need at least one oxygen sensor installed in the factory header's oxygen sensor port (behind one or both of the head pipes there is a small threaded plug). Some aftermarket exhaust systems have these ports too. If your exhaust system doesn't have them, they can be welded-in.

The PCV website states the autotune function will map each cylinder separately ONLY on HD's. However, for the 2009 Warrior, it remains possible that if you install an oxygen sensor in both exhaust header pipes, the 2009 ECU may have been modified to read the two data streams and make it useable for the PCV to auto-tune each cylinder separately. Also, the PCV may have two separate inputs to receive the data streams directly from two separate Dynojet oxygen sensors, making all years of the Warrior capable of closed-loop autotune, but I cannot find that technical data yet so its an unproven supposition as of this date.

The auto-tune function actually writes the map as you ride. You can start from a zero map but with motor mods you'd want to start from a known safe starting point (so cut and paste). You have to manually back-up your map as it evolves, if desired.

That's all I know so far.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

07midnite said:
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

I picked up my preprogrammed PCIII from these guys at a great price. They offered the PC-V but I wanted to go with something that is tried and true. Anyway, give them a call or email. All they do is fuel systems and exhaust tuning. EXPERTS!

By the way, my bike runs MUCH stronger with their map for my bike and has never run better.
I just contacted them for a price on the PC V to Canada...$279.00 plus USPS shipping of $32.00 ...sounds good to me!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

Who, me?
They'd be a good idea if we could....but where would they be placed? Maybe the best place would be right near the exhaust port at the joint pipe? They couldn't go in the supplied locations due to the clearance between the cooling fins and the back of the header, I don't think...

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts

My .02 follows ...... you only need 1-sensor for thefeedback to the Autotune device usedwith the PCV.

The use of multipleO2 sensors in a multi-cylinder engine is not aprerequisiteforclosed loop FI system. Further, i don't see any claims by Dynojet that the PCV with the Autotune produces closed loop FI!

Yamaha's latestclosed loop FI technology uses asingleO2 sensor in the exhaustcollector or preceding the catalyst assy for the R1, R6 and Vmax. The R1 & R6 use a catalyst to meet emission std's.

Here's a recent topic O2 Sensor on Speedstar pipe: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/133636/1047955.aspx#1047955

The Warrior ECU soft logic doesn’t support closed-loop FI and IMO the Autotune device allows the end user to do their own mapping independent of a Dyno Tune Center based on the input of the fuel mixture from the Wide BandO2 sensor. This doesn’t make the Warrior closed loop! http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/AutoTune/powercommander_autotune.aspx

I suspect that the PCV will work with all year Warriors including the model year 02 based on the fact that the later ECUP/Nsupercedes the early P/N in the parts fiche, unless a misprint.

·
Administrator
29,687 Posts

The rear header sensor might be placed facing straight back behind the jug fins and maybe clear fine. The front header port location faces (almost) straight down,so the sensor would show - making another location better. The Warrior isn't meant for 'em.

My (probably unfounded) worry about a single sensor after the collector is the sensor will be reading the combined exhaust gasses and it seems likely that a retrofit systemwould allow the opportunity forone jug to run rich and the other to runlean and the sensor would assume the average (combined gasses) to beacceptable. I don't have any technical experience here. It simply seems better if each jug runs right-on, which seems to require two sensors. The bike would run smoother with less vibration and the need for dynotuned map-building would be minimized or eliminated. All that being said, even 8cyl cars seem to have a single sensor, however their entire ECU systems are built for it, not retrofitted. I respect those who have installed a single sensor, and those who support that position because they have a good view from their experience, and I truly don't know if two are better than one, but it seems very very much like it would be.

SuicideD_45 said:
They'd be a good idea if we could....but where would they be placed? Maybe the best place would be right near the exhaust port at the joint pipe? They couldn't go in the supplied locations due to the clearance between the cooling fins and the back of the header, I don't think...

·
Registered
263 Posts

just installed mine. no problems, but it is just like the pcIII. needs all the external stuff to do any of the things i had wanted to do with it.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts

Running one on an 02 warrior without any issues! Install is a snap and takes about 10 minutes total. I have noticed that my bike is running a lot stronger and has very little popping on decel. I got mine from Fuelmoto for $292 mapped and delivered. I just told them what mods I had and they preloaded the map. On a side note, fuel milage has increases 10-15 miles a tank. Getting about 130 miles now instead of 110-115 as before. You can use maps for the PCIII if you manually load them because the PC5 has 10 cells and the PC3 only has 9 cells. There is an option for somone to set up both gears and engine speed for max tuning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts