RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to change the fork oil without special tools or complete disassembly? I'm not leaking any fluid, so I think my seals are fine, but I've got 40k on the bike and have never changed the fork oil, so I thought it might be worth while. I also have the forks off the bikecurrently because I'm replacing my trees with black trees and changing the neck bearings. Does everyone change their fork oil at regular intervals, or is there no real point unless you are leaking?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Fork oil gets pretty nasty by 40k. You should definitely change it while you have the forks off.

Just unscrew the big nut on top. There is some spring tension, so be careful. The assembly will NOT come completely apart, but you will be able to drain the oil at this point. Pour out the old, pump it several times... pour out some more. Then add a measured amount. (You'll find the specs in the service manual. I think I put a pint in each leg.)

I used some 5wt synth from the local Rice Rocket store....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I have to do to put it back together is put in the correct amount of oil and then re-tighten the nut? I wont need anything special to get that spring tension back? Is there any special method to bleed the fork? I read the manual, but it sure makes the process look pretty complex. One last question, should I go with a heavier oil than what is factory spec? I was thinking I might go a little heavier.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You can pull the large capscrew on the bottom,the spring / damper assembly will come out. Theres a lot of crud down by that capscrew... But if you're gonna tear it down that far, might as well do the seals and sliders.

I wouldn't go with heavy oil. If you're looking for a stiffer ride.... add MORE oil ( an ounce or two ). Look around on the sportbike boards for suspension tuning tips.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Dragstar said:
Is there an easy way to change the fork oil without special tools or complete disassembly? I'm not leaking any fluid, so I think my seals are fine, but I've got 40k on the bike and have never changed the fork oil, so I thought it might be worth while. I also have the forks off the bikecurrently because I'm replacing my trees with black trees and changing the neck bearings. Does everyone change their fork oil at regular intervals, or is there no real point unless you are leaking?
Jesse .... i've been putting this task off for over a year noweven after contacting a couple of the respected members of the forum for advice.My fork seals aren't leaking either and i have more miles than you. Some while ago i sprung for theYamaha SuspensionOil 01,2-copper gaskets for the lower fork leg and a ratio rite measuring cup. I went with the more expensive $'sOEM fluid as i figured it has served me well ... my hesitation and excuse is that i have Yamaha billet fork covers and they are a PITA to R&R and i also have a nicelypolished triple tree set waiting to be installed .... BTW, you should be able to reuse the lower tree bearing and sealif removed properly when pressing out the stem!

My .02 and thoughts follow on the R&R of the fork oil, but keep in mind that i have not done the actual task.

If coming from the top,you'll want to loosen the fork adjustment 1st before removing the upper nut. If coming from the bottom and w/o impact tool you'll probably need to tighten the top adjust screw to prevent the inner cartridge from turning and there is still no guarantee it won't spin.

Because you have no leaks and you're not disassembling the forks completely, measure the fluid removed from each fork and replace with same.

If you wish to go further, member Pep did a neat fork seal HOW TOcoming from the bottom.

Now on another note i'm still waiting for an answer on this: Re: Engine dies, need help!!! - FYI - Long Post

Good luck

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info Alan, I think I'm going to come from the top and attempt to just replace the fluid without removing the internals. Unfortunately the front end is already completely dis-assembled so loosening the nut on the top many be a bit of a PITA, but I can probably protect them well enough to clamp them in my vice.

My lower tree bearing was pretty much completely seized up because it had not been greased at all in those 40K miles. it has already been removed and replaced.

Finally (a short 2 years later) I have concluded the linked post with the final problem and solution. I am glad you brought this post up though, because it may make my 6 month process of determining the problem a 10 minute fix for someone else. You'll have to follow your link to figure it out what it was!

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Dragstar said:
Thanks for all the info Alan, I think I'm going to come from the top and attempt to just replace the fluid without removing the internals. Unfortunately the front end is already completely dis-assembled so loosening the nut on the top many be a bit of a PITA, but I can probably protect them well enough to clamp them in my vice.

[*]If you have the trees in hand, I would suggest you use either the top or bottom tree to hold the fork tube from spinning in lieu of the vise. Lay the parts on the floor protected .. etc.

[*]ADDED: If using the top tree as a clamp be sure to locate it approx 1-1/2" below the Cap Plug else the threadson the Plug & fork tube will be compressed by the tree pinch bolts....back-off the fork spring adjust bolt first[/list][/list]

Finally (a short 2 years later) I have concluded the linked post with the final problem and solution. I am glad you brought this post up though, because it may make my 6 month process of determining the problem a 10 minute fix for someone else. You'll have to follow your link to figure it out what it was!

[*]You get 5-demerits for your newanswer
... that's history. I stated the following 2yrs ago

[*]
Jesse ... how about taking some goodclose-up photos of the wires &.....[/list]
[*]I was interested in the specificwire colors which would bring more logic tothe incident andwhich components were affected.[/list]
Thanks for thereply anyway and besides the demeritsyou are alsobanned from the site for 3-days

BTW,Ken aka Bladerunrhas already responded with his hands-on solution to replace the fork oil!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
What I did not see is an answer about if there is a way to change the fork oil with the forks on the bike...

If it can be done please, please Post

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts