RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the messages on ECU bumps I just put on a propipe and bumped my ECU the factory setting were Co 01 0, Co 02 -3. I bumped both 3 points. Is there anyone else that has the same set up that has different numbers that are working for them or any recommendations to what numbers I should be running. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Sorryabout the threadHijack but....

Has a final word come out on the ECU bump...

Whether it affects just the IDLE or the whole RPM range?

and now back to our regular scheduled programing.....

·
Registered
926 Posts
I changed my exhaust and bumped it by 3 as well but my stock settings started off at:

Co 01 -3

C0 o2 -4

I am still scaring the **** out of old ladies and wildlife with the backfire. I can live with it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
siradude said:

siradude, no worries on the hijack. Churchkey mentioned run your numbers up about 25 points and take it for a ride, pull the plugs and you will see that it does affect the whole RPM range. Maybe there is someone that can chime in and help clear this up.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
siradude said:

Well, I don't care about the final word - all I know is this: I've got mods that will have major effects on my mixture (10.5:1 HC pistons for example), and I've been running on a bumped ECU for over 3 years now. I think I'm bumped around +8 or +10 these days...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
antitech1 said:
I changed my exhaust and bumped it by 3 as well but my stock settings started off at:

Co 01 -3

C0 o2 -4

I am still scaring the **** out of old ladies and wildlife with the backfire. I can live with it.

I would have addressed this in my last post but I am not sure how to multiple quote yet. I guess the difference in the numbers has to do with location, I live in NC where the air is kinda thickwith humidity. Which brings up another question do you need to make adjustments in the winter when the air is colder? I dont understand why there is such a difference between Co 01 and Co 02 between your factory settings and mine. There was only 1 point difference in yours and 3 points in mine??? Mine only backfires and pops a little. I am going to order the AIS block off plates and see if that helps until I get my power commander. I think Santa is bringing me one this year along with a VBAK and Dyna Coils.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RhatPhlegm said:
I've got mods that will have major effects on my mixture (10.5:1 HC pistons for example), and I've been running on a bumped ECU for over 3 years now. I think I'm bumped around +8 or +10 these days...

Rhat, with these mods you have only bumped the ECU? No power commander?

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
This is as far as I've gotten on this topic:

About ECU Bumping: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/48956.aspx
Because over time we have learned different bikes have had different factory air:fuel settings in
the ECU when new, it seems likely air:fuel is individually adjusted at the factory. Before making
any changes to ECU settings you need to record and save the original factory setting. Further,
over time, be aware that someone before you may have 'bumped' the ECU air:fuel (you should ask).
For this reason a good place to record air:fuel ECU bump factory settings is the Owner's manual.
Its generally accepted that air:fuel ECU bumps must be up-or-down the same 'number' both jugs.
If you bump cylinder1 two points up, you should do the same to cyliner2 to maintain the spread.
Additionally, it seems confirmed the ECU Bump affects only idle, but not above-idle rpm range,
although there are also members who have made engine and exhaust mods and have run as much as
three years only bumping the ECU, without a Power Commander (or similar). This is all murky
and I've been unable to get information from Yamaha or Mitsubishi (the ECU manufacturer).
If you are considering a bump, do a search of this forum and read all posts since Jan 2008.

Also: http://rswarrior.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=pistons+AND+userid%3a4686&o=Relevance

Edited: sorry I should have added this link too, and there aretwo more similar topic links I need to locate and insert herewhen time allows. My belief from reading the service manual isan ecu bump modifies air:fuel from the new baseline CO#'s at idle and across the rpm range. However I have never had my air:fuel adjusted via ecu bump while on the dynotuner as two or three members have - and nobody has directly answered their questions keeping in mind they are not claiming to be experts and they have personal info that doesn't match with what a lot of us think must be true.I find this interesting enough to bring their thinking forward because we value their contribution and maybe there will be an answer that makes sense.

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/118282.aspx

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
semperfit said:
RhatPhlegm said:
I've got mods that will have major effects on my mixture (10.5:1 HC pistons for example), and I've been running on a bumped ECU for over 3 years now. I think I'm bumped around +8 or +10 these days...

Rhat, with these mods you have only bumped the ECU? No power commander?

No, I put the pistons in because the labor was free (recall), and I've been happy with the power I have, so I've yet to install a pc iii. I'm betting there would be quite a noticable difference if I did!

I guess the point of my post is that an ECU bump most certainly DOES effect the entire range. If it didn't, my bike would run way lean above idle - and it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
RhatPhlegm said:
I guess the point of my post is that an ECU bump most certainly DOES effect the entire range. If it didn't, my bike would run way lean above idle - and it doesn't.
+1 ....

As would mine as well with the engine performance improvements i've made after the 1st 800 miles!

[*]V&H BigShot exhaustand Churchkey's V-BAKw/AIS[/list]

I've been running with a bumped ECU for approx 37,000 miles and there's detailed documentation i've posted on this site to support the condition of my spark plugs if you do a search

EDITED: If you are considering an ECUbump, I would suggest you broaden your searchto include several years chronologically for a more accurate trend!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Semperfit:

I purchased my '06 Midnight in Michigan last year, like SC it is VERY humid and at sea level.Without looking,I wanna say my factory ECU was 0 & 3. I removed the factory "water heater" and am running a 2.5" open tip off the factory header. I have since moved to Wyoming (4,500ft) and found it was still running lean. I first bumped my ECU up by 6.... WAY too much lol. Backed it down 3 so I'm really up by 3 and it's running perfectly. With a AIS block off I rarely get a backfire and it runs smoothly throughout the rpm range. Haven't noticed any restrictions or gains in the rpm range either. I plan on doin a DIY BAK this winter and just bumping the ECU again.... but you'll have to wait a few months to hear the results lol.

Sounds like the ECU are like finger prints, each one's different?? Just check your plugs. Well hope this helps ya out.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hmm, I think when I get new exhaust, i'm just going to break down and get the power commander and play it safe that way. There is not enough info to prove the ECU bump is along the entire rpm band.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fake,

There is a lot of controversy over whether it affects the whole RPM range or just the idle. I just have no patience and the mod bug has bitten so I had to do it. I wanted to see if itwould makea difference and if you look at the spark plugs before and after photos there is a noticable difference and that is only after 100 miles. I dont think idle would have made that much of a difference. Also I went on a ride with a couple of buddys the other day and one of them said there was a little white smoke on hard exceleration. He rode a Harley and was a huge metric hater so he may have just been trying to say anything to bring discredit upon the Warrior. He even went as far as to say he had parts on his bike that costed more than my bike. I replyed with Yea I believe it, it is a Harley and you are paying for the name and that is shitty because even with all those expensive parts my cheap ass Warrior is smoking your ass so just enjoy the white smoke because that is where you will be all day. Well back the post. I went out yesterday and the guy I was riding said he didn't see any whitesmoke and he also spent a lot of time behind me (another Harley rider).

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Lets try the logic approach. Here's my .02cents worth. (for what it's worth which is about .02 cents
)

Logic tells me that bumping the ECU is across the entire rpm range as apposed to bumping the fuel/air ratio via the pc3 within our maps which gives us the ability to be "rpm range specific". Those of us who have tweeked our own maps via the pc3 know what I am talking about. Also I think the "cylinder trim" function via the pc3 allows us to do the ECU bump via a "gui" or graphical interface type look and feel(no messin with wires). Basicaly doing the same thing that folks who don't have a pc3 installed and want to bump the ECU via the "wire" process.

Now, when we bump the ECU or cylinder trim by +1 or -1 each bump is 5% isn't it? So the real question is does this override the pc3 setting across the entire rpm range and again I would believe this is a yes logicaly. The beauty of this is you don't have to keep tweeking your map endlessly which can be very time consuming and frustrating.

In the end I think the ECU or cylinder trim adjustment (whichever you choose to call it) either adds or removes fuel across the "entire rpm range".

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
semperfit said:
Fake,

There is a lot of controversy over whether it affects the whole RPM range or just the idle. I just have no patience and the mod bug has bitten so I had to do it. I wanted to see if itwould makea difference and if you look at the spark plugs before and after photos there is a noticable difference and that is only after 100 miles. I dont think idle would have made that much of a difference. Also I went on a ride with a couple of buddys the other day and one of them said there was a little white smoke on hard exceleration. He rode a Harley and was a huge metric hater so he may have just been trying to say anything to bring discredit upon the Warrior. He even went as far as to say he had parts on his bike that costed more than my bike. I replyed with Yea I believe it, it is a Harley and you are paying for the name and that is shitty because even with all those expensive parts my cheap ass Warrior is smoking your ass so just enjoy the white smoke because that is where you will be all day. Well back the post. I went out yesterday and the guy I was riding said he didn't see any whitesmoke and he also spent a lot of time behind me (another Harley rider).

Brother, I know about that mod bug. I'm bitten pretty bad right now too. I just bought that inner fender eliminator kit from Pep the other day. I can't wait for it to get here! I was waiting for V&H to come out with the Big Radius, but I can't justify paying over $700.00 for that pipe. I'm going to get the Big Shots, then I will be giving Churchkey a ring for the VBAK. I need to get the PCIII anyways with all the mods I want.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fake said:
There is a lot of controversy over whether it affects the whole RPM range or just the idle. I just have no patience and the mod bug has bitten so I had to do it. I wanted to see if itwould makea difference and if you look at the spark plugs before and after photos there is a noticable difference and that is only after 100 miles. I dont think idle would have made that much of a difference. Also I went on a ride with a couple of buddys the other day and one of them said there was a little white smoke on hard acceleration. He rode a Harley and was a huge metric hater so he may have just been trying to say anything to bring discredit upon the Warrior. He even went as far as to say he had parts on his bike that cost more than my bike. I replyed with Yea I believe it, it is a Harley and you are paying for the name and that is shitty because even with all those expensive parts my cheap ass Warrior is smoking your ass so just enjoy the white smoke because that is where you will be all day. Well back the post. I went out yesterday and the guy I was riding said he didn't see any whitesmoke and he also spent a lot of time behind me (another Harley rider).

Sorry I had to fix the improper spelling. I tried to edit and it wouldn't allow me to.

fake said:
Brother, I know about that mod bug. I'm bitten pretty bad right now too. I just bought that inner fender eliminator kit from Pep the other day. I can't wait for it to get here! I was waiting for V&H to come out with the Big Radius, but I can't justify paying over $700.00 for that pipe. I'm going to get the Big Shots, then I will be giving Churchkey a ring for the VBAK. I need to get the PCIII anyways with all the mods I want.

Mod bug got me.The bike didn't have 100 miles on it before I did theDIY mud flap remover, flip and grind which lowered it about 2.5 inches, removed all stickers and reflectors, and now the ECU bump. I am also going to get a PCIII and Churchkey's VBAKand thinking about getting some dyna coils and different wires.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
AlanH said:
I've been running with a bumped ECU for approx 37,000 miles and there's detailed documentation i've posted on this site to support the condition of my spark plugs

Did not know......

It makes sense that the whole RPM range is affected, seeing how the condition of the spark plugs has been documented for such a long time...

Thanks AlanH

Edited: and then this came up...LOL http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/122536.aspx

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts