RS Warrior Forum banner

ECU upgrade

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  arizonawarrior 
#1 ·
Hi all,
If you have indulged in an Ivans Flash upgrade to your ecu, what was the turnaround time from OZ approximately, the cost and were you happy with the outcome?
Thanks in advance

#7 ·
The RSW is somewhat unique. I recall that a tuner down under had provided a flash built for the Road Star 1700 and had also sold it for at least one Warrior. Buyer was happy. However the serious detune seemed to go unrecognized. The two bikes differ in many ways.

Ivan's is in USA and probably still has a presence in Europe. I do not know if it's family or an authorized representative or if it's actually Ivan's owned. I'm surprised Ivan's still does not have an Australian authorized representative. Might be legal issues dunno. In any event, as documented and recorded here in detail, Ivan used a member RSW to build his flash specifically retaining RSW performance power and also unlocking more. But it doesn't matter if access is blocked.

One solution is a group buy (special marketplace area here with special rules and one like this would be closely watched by the forum). If you can get a good quantity of AUS members to participate by collecting ECU's and sending them to Ivan's USA or Europe in same box, then Ivan's can zap them all same time then send them to a nearby RSW member chosen by the group, and that person can send the box back to AUS for distribution. Ivan's might provide a bulk per-unit discount that could partially offset shipping. And Ivan is known to be an honest stand-up guy (as also documented around here).

Just dreaming out loud of a possible solution.

#12 ·
Patrick Racing's Warrior drag bikes were able to be pushed to right at 7,000 rpm before the motor would fail. They started on ECU'S and could not hack the numbers so went to naturally-aspirated in their 3rd prostar year. In both they won pretty much every Pro Star race for years until all the competitors with other bikes stopped coming. So you only need enough torque to get going quickly, and enough hp to hit ~6krpm in 5th (which is already a pretty big overdrive ratio) before the finish line. Or for street, all you need is big torque out of corners and hit 125mph quickly as possible on the straights. Either case will challenge capable spirited riders. This bike is a lot more than Watanabe and company envisioned in the beginning! What I'm saying is, don't only hunt hp.

#14 ·
They don't list the RSW, and its different from all other Yamaha bikes. Without a deep code program and a test bed bike, they seem an unlikely candidate. If I'm wrong then I will be overjoyed. But so far, the only one we have ever found and the only one proven and the only one built-on-a-rsw ecu is Ivan's. I don't understand why he does not have an authorized representative there.

#15 ·
Keeping this separate. Many flash providers say remove the add-on fuel manager. In fact, almost everyone ends up having to put a fuel manager back on. I admit the PCiii is low on my list of preferences, the PCV and CobraCVT are top on most lists. But no matter, don't believe the flash hype or web claims. Seek out forums with real-world reviews on the exact mc not just a manufacturer name (like Yamaha) plus it's gotta be ROAD STAR WARRIOR (not just road star).

Luck to ya.

#16 ·
Second this. My bike did NOT run smoothly with just Ivan's. Even with my PC-III running Ivan's map didn't work. I eventually gave up and put on the Cobra PowrPro Black CVT. It's finally running more smoothly. I still have some more tweaking I want to explore (CO bump, triple checking exhaust seals, etc.) but absolutely agree that an ECU flash is not the end-all be-all. Research, research, research... can't emphasize that enough.

#20 ·
I have a problem with my 05 rsw, apart from a constantly on check engine light it will not idle cold, 10 minutes down the highway and the motor is hot no problem with idle but light still on. My technician at the bike shop went through the diagnostics as i had but he observed that the ecu was failing to recognise the front oxygen intake sensor. After swapping back and front sensors and checking all connections both sensors proved to be working at the back not so at the front. I was told Yamaha dont have any ecus in Australia but could get one out from USA for $1200. Hence i have been trying to decide whether flashing my ecu is an alternative!
Any advice or scenarios welcome. I am not the most tech savvy bloke but respect those that are. I dont have the fault codes with me at the moment but from memory they were both 02 sensors, atmosphere sensor and one other air related fault number.
TIA members for any input.

#21 ·
The ecu flash will not correct bad or improperly connected sensors or anything else. Your bike's baseline setup needs to be right.

What is the error code displaying on the gauges when you shut off the motor using the handlebar off switch? Also, with the check-engine light illuminated there could be an error code displaying in the gauges when running.

For separate information on connection correctness, see the Documentation forum and look at the TABLE OF CONTENTS for a help file named something like 'trouble after a bak or vkbak' and compare your connection details (electric all 3, and vacuum on 2). This is just for clarity and to take it out of the troubleshooting mix. It's important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.