RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I setup a mini-paint booth in the backyard yesterday. Large cardboard box, tipped on it's side. Duct tapped to the side of the house, and my outside bench with a plastic bag draped over (to keep bugs and dust out while curing).

Mind you, this is a rattle can job, Rustoleum stuff. Color is supposed to be a midnight metallic black, but because I didn't use a black primer, it came out lighter than expected; much like the Ti colored Warriors.

I used an orbital sander to get most of the flat black I laid on there before, then hand sanded the rest smooth with 100 grit. The flat black FLECKED off if you looked at it funny.

I used one of those 2 finger trigger spraying adapters, and it was much easier than the one finger method. I hit the fender with some lovely acetone (fumes - whee!), then almost immediately laid down the 1st coat of paint, waited 30 minutes, then did another coat.

Then I went over with a clear gloss, same procedure, lather, rinse, repeat. Let cure. Installed it later that evening.

Results, it's not perfect, but it only cost me $10 (2 cans) and my time: (It's a hobby right?)

I used an air compressor to help exhaust most of the fumes away from myself, and it worked out pretty well. By spraying around the paint booth area, I was able to get the floating debris/overspray crap away.

Thoughts? Comments?

I may redo this with a black primer, and maybe throw on a small Yamaha logo in chrome or two on the sides of the fender. It needs to be darker like the tank in black.

Wild hair idea: I do have a fairly large shed in the backyard. I could possible partition off a section, use box fans and large filters to create more of a real paint booth. I'd just need a decent HVLP sprayer and all the goods.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention!

Good job and nice bike! Way to be creative.....and save a buck!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Looks like it came out good. There are those among us that can really paint with rattlecans. I don't see anything wrong with that job!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Looks great! I just put up a post today as I was contemplating painting my lower cowl myself instead of paying someone else to do it. I think you just gave me enough motivation to go ahead and do it!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
looks good - that Rustoleum color matches my Yami titanium pretty well. When you gonna do the rest of your bike like that?

·
Registered
594 Posts
The finish of the paint in your pic looks great! I also found that the Rustoleum metallic black turns out very close to Yami Titanium when i painted my wheels and rear pulley (i had to repaint my rear pulley in regular black when i had my tins repainted because the pulley matched the titanium almost perfectly, but that wasn't the case with the wheels for some reason - they turned out true metallic black). I don't think that black primer will help the situation much. I would try doing a standard gloss black to get a closer look to the Yami Onyx.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great job! I had a mild lowside with the R1 and ended up sanding out the scratches and painted half a fairing with spray can colormatched paint from colorite and it looked great. Rattle cans and a little finese and you can work magic.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think that you did a great job from the look of it. I'm wondering if there would be a concern about longevity regarding fade from the California sun and clear coat flaking. I've thought about doing some rattlecan testing on scrap metal to test my creative skills and seeing how you are actually diving right in is very encouraging. Thanks for the extra motivation.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

That colorite stuff is PRIMO! Another consideration would be gloss black powder coat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Does anybody know of a rattle can paint that comes close to the Imperial Red Color. See my pic in the gallery to get better image of the color. Answers would be great thanx!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be careful of what type of clear you use. Typical clear off the shelf will melt away once gas hits it. Found that out 1st hand I used 2k clear bought it off Amazon, 20 bucks or so a can but it's the ****. I'll post pictures later on

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Be careful of what type of clear you use. Typical clear off the shelf will melt away once gas hits it. Found that out 1st hand I used 2k clear bought it off Amazon, 20 bucks or so a can but it's the ****. I'll post pictures later on
Matbe a link or a pic of what you used just in case anyone else goes looking for a good clear.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
@KenGura, echoing what @Heftysmurf said, a pic of the spray and the results would be useful.

I just got my pipes done with Cerakote Glacier Black and while I love the look, I kinda wish they were a little more glossy. Perhaps what you're suggesting would be just what I need. Let's see some pics! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts