RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Preben... I would suggest you upload the wiring diagram for the year motor you have in your trike and I'll comment accordingly as time permits. I also need to know how you are handling the fuel pump and if you have eliminated the previously mentioned Inputs in my OP!

FYI the Red/Black (+) primary wires @ the ignition coils DO NOT originate at the ECU/Igniter. Also the ignition coils will not collapse creating a spark unless you have attended to the Ground Loop wiring that is part of the logic circuit in my OP!
gl
Here is my wiring diagram:

I´m not handling the fuel pump at all, the wire is not connected. What does OP mean?

·
Administrator
27,737 Posts
The wiring diagram you have differs in format from the diagram in the Yamaha manual. You might need to look at both. I realize that an EU-bike could have a couple of differences from bikes built for other areas of the world, but most often Yamaha's EU bikes and USA/CAN bikes are the same except some minor differences in headlights and tail lights, and where LED's are used, and also generally the UK bikes in particular have no front RUNNING lights only front signals. These things should not be a problem in this case, but knowing where the motor came from will help to know for sure.

·
Administrator
27,737 Posts
Okay so sorry for my delay. Happily I see alan has already explained so you can see there are some things you can remove but other things you need and the (9) relay you need.

Ref the coils, the power flows from the bike thru the red/black to the coils. Circuits downstream from ECU pins 1 and 2 are caused to act to complete the ground circuit so power flows, and that power flow develops the coil's power to the spark plugs on the secondary side (to the spark plug wires).

I can email you the entire Yamaha R* 1600 USA/CAN manual if you want, the wiring diagram in that manual is the same as alan attached to his earlier post here. Having the entire manual will be a benefit to your work. I should be back home by about 20:00 USA pacific time.

The red/black goes to to both coils, yes, and the orange and grey are there too, if its to the correct coil/jug is unsure, but i should have a spark, i think. The relay and all the wiring to it is removed. The red/black wire have no voltage, it comes from the ECU. I´ve tried with another ECU (both Dyna3000), but that made no difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay so sorry for my delay. Happily I see alan has already explained so you can see there are some things you can remove but other things you need and the (9) relay you need.

Ref the coils, the power flows from the bike thru the red/black to the coils. Circuits downstream from ECU pins 1 and 2 are caused to act to complete the ground circuit so power flows, and that power flow develops the coil's power to the spark plugs on the secondary side (to the spark plug wires).

I can email you the entire Yamaha R* 1600 USA/CAN manual if you want, the wiring diagram in that manual is the same as alan attached to his earlier post here. Having the entire manual will be a benefit to your work. I should be back home by about 20:00 USA pacific time.
That manual would be good to have, please e-mail it to preben.fuglsang(AT)telia.com , replace (AT) with @

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
MY OP (My Original Post)

preben ... The enclosed pdf file attachment is an early 1600 yamaha wiring diagram for reference only for what follows by this writers 1st blush.

Fwiw there is no "engine cut-off relay" though there is item 9, relay unit which contains the start circuit relay, fuel pump relay and two diodes whose negative terminals are common to wire sb.
These diodes form part of the ground loop pre-start logic circuit from the following inputs.

1. item 3 - main sw
  2. item 17 - neutral sw
  3. item 35 - clutch sw
  4. item 42 - start sw
  5. item 51 & 52 - sidestand sw & diode
item 41, engine stop sw is not part of the ground loop, as it's positive polarity, but interacts with the oal system obviously.

If your planned mod is to eliminate the relay unit (9) i'm more than happy to coach you in the proper direction (though there are negative ramifications) as time permits as i'm sure others will on this forum.
it´s getting there, the relay is gone with a lot of wiring, but i have problems.
If i couple the red/white and the red/black wires together, i have voltage on both sides of ignition coils, and no spark, if i don´t do it that way, i have no voltage at all to the coils, what have i done wrong?
  • Yes, that's correct. The Red/White wire (+ polarity) originates at the Ignition Fuse and is interrupted by the Engine Stop Sw (Kill Sw) and must be connected to the Red/Black wire to each coil (primary connection) when Key-ON to start the motor.
  • The Orange & Gray wires are negative polarity for each coil (cyls 1 & 2 respectively) and are triggered by the ECU when the proper conditions exist.
    • Because you have eliminated the Relay Unit (9) and the accompanying logic circuit through the diodes and input devices the ignition coils will NOT collapse to ignite the spark plugs :)
preben... I would suggest you upload the wiring diagram for the year motor you have in your trike and i'll comment accordingly as time permits.

I also need to know how you are handling the fuel pump and if you have eliminated the previously mentioned inputs in my op!

• To repeat myself: what Inputs have you eliminated and what do you plan to use in your build
Fyi the red/black (+) primary wires @ the ignition coils do not originate at the ecu/igniter. Also the ignition coils will not collapse creating a spark unless you have attended to the ground loop wiring that is part of the logic circuit in my op!
Gl
If all you want to do is prove Ignition at the plugs, at this time, please respond accordingly and I'll mark up the wiring diagram for using a jumper to the chassis so that you can eliminate the Relay.
You do realize that the engine must be turning over by the starter and the CPS must be connected etcetera.
gl

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
HI Alanh! Then it should be correct, but i also noticed a minor "bug" today, the decomp.solenoid opens as soon i switch on ignition, so i have to adress that too. Please make that wiring diagram, and i will be forever thankful.:)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts