RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new to the site and my 07 warrior. i installed sampson ground pounder pipes and it seems like it developed a hard engine brake on de-cell. is that because of the pipes or is that the nature of this engine? i dont really know because i rode it a couple miles from the dealership and ripped it apart to mod it up so i have zero stock experience with this bike. also what kind of pipe do you guys reccomend for making the best hp?? thanks brent

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I haven't heard other pipes do that. My Samson Street Sweepers do the same thing. I love it. It is the coolest thing about those pipes! I just put a2-1 system on, and I lost the jake brake.... I miss it already.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Its a big engine but it depends on what gear your inwhen your decellerating.

How many miles on the bike? New units are rather tight & need some miles to break in.

Suggest a bit more seat time to become familiar with the machine.

2X1 pipes make the best power. Propipe. Muzzy, Speed star.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
It sounds to me like you're running open pipes. Is it extremely loud? Did you lode HP's after the install?

I also have the Ground Pounders on my bike. If I run straight pipes without any type of baffle I lose power and it is VERY loud. I bought a set of 10" baffles form a friend of mine and cut them down to 5" each, then 4" each. I should have left it at 4-1/2" but too late now. The bike has good back pressure with a louder exhaust note than with the 10" baffles installed. In fact, the 10" baffles gave me way too much back pressure, quieted the bike and I lost power. I love the looks of these pipes and now I love the performance and exhaust note.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do have the baffles in from sampson but i cut them in half, all i know my brothers harley (08 fat bob) makes my bike looks stupid, he flat out smokes me, i have a dobeck tfi, and the patrick racing filter kit along with the pipes. dobeck told me to go with a 2 into 1 pipe and i think thats what im gonna do next year. we are done riding up here as its snowing outside right now!! thanks for the input i really appreciate it guys.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just to clarify, it's Samson, not Sampson. There is no P. I'm currently running stock exhaust, and it does have give a hard engine brake effect on deceleration. But it's nothing excessive. I don't have experience with aftermarket exhaust yet. But I can't imagine a different exhaust making a substantial difference

·
Registered
653 Posts
I put on Samson 2 into 1 Pro Thunders, and made hp and torgue, along with a PCIII, AIS Block, and Patrick Raceing Big Air Kit hadthe bike dyno tuned cause no one makes a map for this combo.Turned out it made better numbers than most stock Harley's (except a V Rod). The 2 into 1 pipes seem to make better power. I just know you want to smoke that Fat Bob.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
motohd66 said:
i do have the baffles in from sampson but i cut them in half, all i know my brothers harley (08 fat bob) makes my bike looks stupid, he flat out smokes me, i have a dobeck tfi, and the patrick racing filter kit along with the pipes...
Well... no surprises there.

(I'll bet you guys were hoping I wouldn't see this post. heh heh)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i should state that my brother works for harley davidson and his bike has been on the dyno 3 times but all he did is put an air filter kit on it along with trying different tfi programs, and he acually found 2 more hp by using the dobeck tfi box, he keeps promising me that he will take my bike in and dyno tune but i think he's scared, butseriously i stay with him until about 50mph and he steadily walks away from me.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Welcome. Yeah, Samson's have a killer decel noise. First thing to do, unless you don't mind the power loss, is to invest in Big City Thunder Monster baffles. That should get you back to at least stock performance....at least my ass felt like it did. Then Bobby shouldn't be a problem. We put up almost identical numbers of torque stock. I don't know about his horses, but he weighs 50lbs more, too. Like Church said....a little more saddle time on the beast and you'll know how to launch and where to ride her.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
motohd66 said:
i do have the baffles in from sampson but i cut them in half, all i know my brothers harley (08 fat bob) makes my bike looks stupid, he flat out smokes me, i have a dobeck tfi, and the patrick racing filter kit along with the pipes. dobeck told me to go with a 2 into 1 pipe and i think thats what im gonna do next year.

You've got something going on... even with the short Samsons you shouldn't be having a problem with the FatBob at all. Who helped you with the install of your mods, your brother?? You're obviously not running the best exhaust for performance but you shouldn't be seeing that much difference from stock with those baffles, I'm not anyway.

·
Administrator
29,666 Posts
+1 you have something going on. Check the basics if you can.

Since you have no profile or gallery info to help us help you, these are the most common issues, assuming you haven't messed with the ecuand don't havea PCIIIUSB yet.

Air In (dirty filters or goobered venturis or a vacuum leak)

Air Out (your exhaust is robbing some hp)

Spark (clean and gap all 4 plugs and make sure all 4 coil wires are seated both ends - be gentle)

Fuel (for stock 102ci run regular octane - you might need an injector cleaning)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my brother and myself installed everything, its a brand new bike so nothing should have to be cleaned, it only has 2000 miles on it. i just have to get it on the dyno i guess. the purpose of the post was to figure out how to get rid of the bad engine brake so i think im gonna have to dump the samson pipes and find a good 2 into 1.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Hi there, check the brake pedal is returning fully when it is released, i had problems with it fouling on my samson streetsweeper exhaust whenthey wereinstalled. If it is fouling it will cause the rear brake to be sticking on which would give the same sensationas engine brake.Hope this helps. .......Frec......U.K....

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
I have ground pounders only...VBAK, PCIII sitting on the workbench waiting to be installed, I had a good amount of engine decel in the lower gears, but, I usually dont keep the rpm's up on a decel to avoid engine compression locking up the rear wheel and causing a skid,,,much like in an empty tractor trailer in the rain while using a real engine brake. As far as the fat bob...my stock bike with pipes on it walk away from my buddies 08 dyna wide glide, which is a little lighter than the fat bob....I read an article that says the fat bob is good to 110 mph,,so keep on the throttle and you'll eventually pass him..

·
Registered
370 Posts
What he said........ I've got ground pounders and they do sound like a Peterbilt when you let off the gas but you should have no problems with the bob. I've taken plenty of Dyna's and held my own against a VROD before I even started modding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts