RS Warrior Forum banner

Engine cutting out on freeway

9K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  alanh 
#1 ·
Hey, been lurking around this forum for a while, hopefully I can get a few ideas.

I have a 2005 Warrior, bought it a couple months ago used from a dealership with about 22,000 miles on it. Everything is great, with one exception. When I am riding on the highway around 70-80 mph, occasionally the motor will just cut out for a couple seconds. It doesn't die, it just starts slowing the bike drastically. After a second or two, it jumps back on, and away I go. I can't seem to figure out any pattern, except it only seems to to it when warmed up, never when I first take off or at night. I took it to the dealership, but they couldn't duplicate the problem, and I would prefer to fix it on my own anyway. Any ideas out there? It's driving me nuts, and nothing is scarier than losing throttle on the freeway in front of a semi.

#2 ·
Have your dealer run the serial # & see if the recalls have been completed for--------

Crank position sensor = CPS

Throttle position sensor = TPS

#7 ·
sounds alot like a CPS gone bad then...

The replacement procedure is not too difficult, just messy. There is a CPS replacement kit that is for sale at the dealership. It includes the new and improved CPS, new bolts, and a new gasket for something like $35 or in that neighborhood.

Both AlanH and I have documented the process. I know I have posted pics of each step as well. Let me see if I can find it....

#9 ·
Before you crack open the engine to do a CPS, remove your battery and make sure there are no wires pinch under it. I had several wires pinched and frayed under my battery causing my bike to stall. I have heard of one other person having this happen. I don't think it is really likely, and more likely it is the CPS, but it's free to check and fix.

#10 ·
Dragstar said:
Before you crack open the engine to do a CPS, remove your battery and make sure there are no wires pinch under it. I had several wires pinched and frayed under my battery causing my bike to stall. I have heard of one other person having this happen. I don't think it is really likely, and more likely it is the CPS, but it's free to check and fix.
always good advice..... (even though you're not really opening up the engine
)

#14 ·
elijiaht said:
I just got off the phone with the dealership, all the recalls have been done. Any other ideas?
Yes, i would verify that the CPS was replaced by inspecting the rubber grommet for the WHITE ID MARK that exists at the rear side of the clutch case as shown here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2159/2097217706_981d525244_o.jpgor http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/2958377641_df390b716b_o.jpg

Verify that the Dealer/installer of the new CPSpartdidn't splice the exiting wires to save labor. There are other components as well as an intermittent loose or grounded wire that can cause this type of failure.

A couple ofmembers have replaced the LAS (Lean Angle Sensor) after replacing several CPS assemblies with similar symtoms of a failing CPS

IMO, there's no magic wand for this intermittent problem if a new CPS recall part was properly installed. In my particular case the failure was obvious as the black wire to the sensor was boken when i opened the case.

Reference: AkitaDog - Mon, Oct 20 2008 1:52 PM
http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/121319/973289.aspx#973289

#15 ·
My '05 was doing this exact thing and I had the CPS replaced twice on mine and it was a different type of engine cut out. The CPS had a definate rpm point that would react and cause the engine to run crappy.

With the LAS it was very intermittent that I could go a day or two without it acting up. And itw ould only happen when cruising down the freeway at around 80 MPH.

With hearing of this problem with another forum member I removed my LAS and opened it up and taped the swing weight so it would stay in the middle postion over the sensor on the circuit board. Well I'm conviced this was the problem, I have not had the engine shut down due the fule supply getting cut off.

I'm currently having my local dealer check to see if this switch falls under the warranty and get a replacement.

#17 ·
In my case it would shut off the fuel supply off to the engine when cruising down the freeway at 80mph. It would shut down for about 3-4 seconds.

I would go a few days sometime between it happening as opposed to when my CPS went out I could not get above 70mph at anytime.

#19 ·
I just went through this there is a module that controles the fuel pump under the seat there is a brown wire that runs from it to the fuse box. The brown wire had coroded almost in half. I pulled thepin cleaned up the wire and resoldered it to the pin and put the harness back in the module and wala it runs just fine. if you need pics give me a hollar.

#20 ·
knyland said:
I just went through this there is a module that controles the fuel pump under the seat there is a brown wire that runs from it to the fuse box. The brown wire had coroded almost in half. I pulled thepin cleaned up the wire and resoldered it to the pin and put the harness back in the module and wala it runs just fine. if you need pics give me a hollar.
Knyland ....that's some excellent trouble shooting on your part... hats-off to you

Not to take this as criticism, but the Warrior wiring diagram shows that wire as Brown/Black (maybe a difference in years)and it is a crimped connection. As you are aware it connects to the N.O. contact of the FI relay that feeds the Fuel Pump motor
..This 15A circuit feeds the fuel pump exclusively and nothing else. Ithink posting some jpegswould be a great benefit to all that are interested.

Can you describe your exact symptoms from this failure and i'm curious of the approx miles and where you store your bike. Also, I see you have a PCIII so there is some under seat mods that might affect the wiringharness.... anything else underseat like new battery, LEQ etc .... just curious

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.