RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone knowledgable can help out here before I spend money on a tow to the shop.

I have an '05 warrior that I had out on Saturday and was running fine. On Sunday I started it up and headed to church, stopping off for some gas on the way. Back on the road about five miles the engine starts to sputter and the bike is bucking me around. Its like gas is not getting to the engine when the throttle is open.

Does this sound like bad gas? If so what are the remedies someone not entirely mechanically inclined could do?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Regards,

-j

·
Registered
670 Posts
Is bad gas ever an issue these days? I heard about people getting bad gas back in the 70's, but todays gas is extremely clean and consistant. I'm willing to bed it's not bad gas. Did you get a check engine light?

·
Registered
71 Posts
did u check all the connections for the ignition? like the connections on the coils and the spark plug wires?

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts
Were you really low on gas? If the reserve tank under the seat was nearly empty, then adding gas would be filling the reserve tank too. In that case I would suspect bad gas since5 miles is enough time to get fuel thru the system to the jugs. You can remove the tank and dump it (in what ever proper way you can find). If it doesn't clear-up by itself, swap gas before taking the next step. You'll have to let it idle or better yet try to ride it for 5-10 miles to clear it up.

If fresh gas does not work, look at Popular Mods. The top section has a group of "titles" about weird problems members have experienced and how they were solved. These conversations don't fit under any component heading, mostly because often what a guy thinks the problem is (with his post title) it ends up being something else. So you have to read the whole thing. I mention this because there is a section for things stumbling at various rpm's with a few links to posts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It actually sounds like bad gas to me based on the fact the bike was running fine and after the gas it acted up. I would recommend trying to get the gas out of the bike. Today's gas is HORRIBLE and is filled with all sorts of additives that is suppose to make it more eco friendly. If it had too much ethanol or another additivecould have caused it to acted up.

Of course checking the coils would cause the same results and the timing may have been coincidental...

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I got some bad gas the other day. Warrior felt like it was down on power and I couldn't place my finger on it. I burned that tank out and the problem went away. Bad thing was that my wife's VStar 650 was brought home and parked. Went for a ride about a week later at it wouldn't stay running at all. Long story short, got home and drained the tank and the fuel had a red tint to it. There was off-road diseal mixed in with the gas at that station
. I have not been able to get her bike running correctly since even after taking off the bowls and checking the jets. I would also check to make sure that everything is connected good, plugs, coils, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts