RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rotational rattle noise from the LH side of engine, down low torwards the front of the cover. Most noticeable when engine is
hot and only occurs at idle speeds. Noise almost sounds like something is scraping inside cover, can feel it sometimes in the
pegs. Cover was recently removed and installed by yamaha dealer to do the cps recall. I noticed the noise almost immediately after recall, however, took it back to dealer and was told by the service manager that the noise was/is "normal". They said another bike made a similar noise after recall. Tech took it back apart and found nothing loose or scraping. Anybody else experience this, especially after recall? My exhaust is fairly quiet at idle, using a jardine rt-1 slip on similar to what bucky685 has. I have read a lot about normal engine noises on this web site, just concerned mine may not be. Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
mine use to make noise so i made the pipes louder .most warriors make some type of noise but it hard to say whats norm without hearing.if the tech says it looks ok i wouldnt worry too much.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The last time I heard a rotational rattle was because the nut that holds the pulley on was loose. Not being a techie/mechanical type, someone correct if I have erred. There is a nut that hold the pulley on, and it has these two ears or tabs that are to be folded over the hex side of the nut. Thinking about my own ride, 'rotational rattle' isn't one I call normal. hope this helps

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
These noises are hard to pin down unless you use a mechanic's stethescope and check the engine both sides. Once you find the specific point it'll be easier to know what to do. When you say 'occurs only at idle speeds' does that mean zero forward motion? In neutral or in gear only? Just wondering.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noise occurs only when sitting still, not a driveline noise, defineatelty inside LH side of engine
torwards front but I'll double check agian with stethescope. Noise isn't real loud, just
noticeable enough to concern me. I'm a Ford master auto mechanic, so I do have some skills, just not real familiar with bikes. Don't laugh but noise has a "chicka, chicka, rattle, rattle, rattle, scrape, scrape" sound at same rpm/speed as engine, only at idle speeds, goes away immediately off idle and is not present during warm up. Does not sound like anything heavy, very light and tinny. To me, sounds like something scraping or rubbing metal to metal inside engine very lightly. Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also forgot to metion tech did not take my bike back apart, he didn't even look at it a second time after recall when I brought it back. Service manager looked at it with me, listened to noise and told me it was normal and about the other bike with similar noise metioned in my 1st post. thanks

·
Registered
747 Posts
I got my bike back from the same recall yesterday and I noticed the exact same thing last night Cornholio.

I'm pretty sure it's because of the crappy Yamalube oil they put in there. Give yourself an oil change and put some quality Mobil1 or Amsoil in there and I bet it will be back to normal.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Is a Mechanic's stethescope a piece of rubber hose?

·
Registered
57 Posts
yes mine is brand-new .After about 3 days the noise started it sound like the valves and pistens are having a party .Yet again the dealer said it was normal ( I hate the the way the dam thig sounds).

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I have a rotational rattle noise from the LH side of engine, down low torwards the front of the cover. Most noticeable when engine is
hot and only occurs at idle speeds. Noise almost sounds like something is scraping inside cover, can feel it sometimes in the
pegs. Cover was recently removed and installed by yamaha dealer to do the cps recall. I noticed the noise almost immediately after recall, however, took it back to dealer and was told by the service manager that the noise was/is "normal". They said another bike made a similar noise after recall. Tech took it back apart and found nothing loose or scraping. Anybody else experience this, especially after recall? My exhaust is fairly quiet at idle, using a jardine rt-1 slip on similar to what bucky685 has. I have read a lot about normal engine noises on this web site, just concerned mine may not be. Thanks
Hi I know this is an old post but I just found it after doing a search, my 08 is doing the same thing when hot, in the same local did you ever get an answer? I'm guessing starter clutch, please pm me if you have found an answer. Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Noise occurs only when sitting still, not a driveline noise, defineatelty inside LH side of engine
torwards front but I'll double check agian with stethescope. Noise isn't real loud, just
noticeable enough to concern me. I'm a Ford master auto mechanic, so I do have some skills, just not real familiar with bikes. Don't laugh but noise has a "chicka, chicka, rattle, rattle, rattle, scrape, scrape" sound at same rpm/speed as engine, only at idle speeds, goes away immediately off idle and is not present during warm up. Does not sound like anything heavy, very light and tinny. To me, sounds like something scraping or rubbing metal to metal inside engine very lightly. Thanks
I’m really glad that the noise wasn’t potato potato potato because you would have to change forums. I was going to suggest an oil change as I was reading through. I’ve always been a believer that the bike brand oil is more suited to Japan than anywhere else in the World. Mobile 1 is good and so is Penzoil. Just put in the correct oil for your bike and region where you live.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts