RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 warrior, 2000 some odd miles. Stock except for big shots. Yamaha oil, changed yearly per manual procedure.

I have a symphony of sounds coming from that motor (as expected from a giant air cooled motor). There is a tap as it warms up though, that drives me insane. It's all I hear when I'm riding....that along with a whiney bearing sound (again, louder as it warms).

That whine, on the bigger chilllers I work on, means your main roller bearing is shot and the compressor will eat itself alive soon. I dont know if it means anything on my warrior. It occurs at idle and all speeds.

The tap comes from the upper rear head, left side if your sitting on it. Others have commented on the tap, it's not just me being anal. The tap started after a hard ride from Baltimore to Pittsburgh...100 mph most of the way but no extreme hammering on it.

I really am too broke for the 90 dollar an hour mechanic. Does this tap mean I am possibly doing damage? Oh, I could not find any metal shavings in the oil. I honestly cant tell if it gets worse over time or if I'm getting more neurotic about it.

There is no tap and only very slight whine when the motor is cool. Some say it's just a warrior, they tap and whine and backfire and eat harleys.....others say noise means damage.

opinions?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
i don't know ,dude. i'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any tapping or maybe i'm just used to it. it would be nice if someone was in your area and you could compare. i do know that sometimes i ride with earplugs on the highway { if you've never done it's actually pretty cool } and when i get into town and remove them, i can't believe all the noises coming from this thing. so maybe it's normal

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Without hearing it, I bet there is a pretty good chance it's all normal noise you're hearing. Do you think the prior owner was messing with stuff that he shouldn't have? Or does everything appear to have been left alone for the most part? These machines just don't have a reputation for having major issues. A minor issue here and there, yes. But as long as it has oil in it, this motor just doesn't have problems. That, andyour bikeonly has 2000 miles on it -- it's still new. I used to worry about all the noises my machine makes too, but after awhile I just kind of accepted that it's a noisy machine. : ) I've never heard another Warrior run, in person, though, so maybe mine does make all kinds of noises that it shouldn't. I bet mine is fine, though -- also a 2006 with 5,000 miles when I bought it -- now with 15,000 and I swear it runssmoother and stronger than when I first picked it up -- noisy as it may be.

It would be nice to sit/ride with another Warrior though, to compare.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah when it's cold I wear a full face and im not even aware of the sound, but then I miss out on the bigshots :)

I keep seeing warriors in the opposite direction....If i see one and have planty of gas, I'll trail it for a while

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have an 04 with over 22000 miles. Right after I installed the Vbak I started hearing a tapping after it warmed.

Twomechanics said it sounded like valves so I had the valves adjusted. Didn't help. Then I thought it might be an exaust

leak so I put a new system on. Didn't help. Now I just ignore it! If you figure it out let us know!

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
sh5960 said:
I have an 04 with over 22000 miles. Right after I installed the Vbak I started hearing a tapping after it warmed.

same here...thats the vbak...saem noise i got on my chevy pickup after the k&n install...something about sucking lotsa air through those cone filters make a tpping noise... chiller are ya sure there are no stacks and k&ns strapped to that bike??? do you come to pittsburgh ofter? I am ont he way!! right off 30 or exit 110 on the turnpike...get in touch if you do, lotsa back roads tween baltimore and the burgh!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
parkinglot said:
sh5960 said:

same here...thats the vbak...saem noise i got on my chevy pickup after the k&n install...something about sucking lotsa air through those cone filters make a tpping noise... chiller are ya sure there are no stacks and k&ns strapped to that bike??? do you come to pittsburgh ofter? I am ont he way!! right off 30 or exit 110 on the turnpike...get in touch if you do, lotsa back roads tween baltimore and the burgh!!

Oh I'm sure, not unless the VBAK fairy paid me a little visit. (I keep checking under the seat but nope....still just the tooth I pulled sittin there)

I don't get there too often, not lately. Mostly cause I'm afraid I'm going to hurt my sled. I gotta tell ya though, one of the best rides I've ever had was the day I decided to save $5.25 and took rt. 30 in lui of the pike. I think I popped out in Breezewood...Awesome going through the mountains, where that train rides along the outside of the hill. Little hairy at the bottom of some of those mountains though. ****, you could wipe outriding a hover-round of ur not carefull, much less a 1700 cc Yami.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
chillertech said:
parkinglot said:
sh5960 said:

Oh I'm sure, not unless the VBAK fairy paid me a little visit. (I keep checking under the seat but nope....still just the tooth I pulled sittin there)

I don't get there too often, not lately. Mostly cause I'm afraid I'm going to hurt my sled. I gotta tell ya though, one of the best rides I've ever had was the day I decided to save $5.25 and took rt. 30 in lui of the pike. I think I popped out in Breezewood...Awesome going through the mountains, where that train rides along the outside of the hill. Little hairy at the bottom of some of those mountains though. ****, you could wipe outriding a hover-round of ur not carefull, much less a 1700 cc Yami.

You need to come to Deals Gap.

Post a ride for next weekend starting in the local DMV area, and we will show up. I am riding Sat and Sunday. Just be sure you have a great route to ride with some twisties, and not much sand or other crap on the road. We Warrior owners sometimes ride hard.

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
I have never been to deals gap myself, but I'm willing to bet that rt 30 tween latrobe and breezwood is 1/10 as beautiful and twisty as deals gap, but its right in my backyard, so I'll ride it 10 times and get myself a t-shirt made..:) hopefully when I retire a trip to the dragon will be made, but a ride down to the DMV area is something I would love to do..all backroads down..cross the mtn to harrisburg, down to gettysburg, across 40....yeah, I'm doin that one this year!!! Definately an IHOP noize...I eat at perkins waaayyy too much!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
parkinglot said:
I have never been to deals gap myself, but I'm willing to bet that rt 30 tween latrobe and breezwood is 1/10 as beautiful and twisty as deals gap, but its right in my backyard, so I'll ride it 10 times and get myself a t-shirt made..:) hopefully when I retire a trip to the dragon will be made, but a ride down to the DMV area is something I would love to do..all backroads down..cross the mtn to harrisburg, down to gettysburg, across 40....yeah, I'm doin that one this year!!! Definately an IHOP noize...I eat at perkins waaayyy too much!!

What is DMV? Deleware maryland Virginia?

rt. 30 has views that you stop and pull a u-turn to see again. Do you know the train I'm refering to, parkinglot? There is a dive bar on the way too, with frosted mugs and a burger thats worth the trip alone...

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
DMV = DC, MD, and VA

If you set a ride for Sunday, I know I can get out for a while to ride.Since you are in MD, make the start time about 11 AM.

As for your noise issue, I would guess the whine could be from the belt or a transmission issue. So have you had your rear tire off recently? Is the belt aligned correctly? Is the belt too loose or tight? Is something rubbing the front or rear wheels?

I would guess the tapping is normal butcheck your oil level. I had a increase in the tapping sound when a dealer overfilled my oil. I too did not have a big air kit at that time but could really hear the tapping when riding with my open helmet.I blew a seal and had the bike die on me while riding. Bike would not start again. Checkedoil andit was all the way to the top of the fill tube. By the time I got the bike towed to the dealer, they got it to start and could notfind a issue. They said the oil level was OK. Soon as I got the bike back, started smoking and I noticed the oil level was dropping slightly as the smokingincreased over the week or two. Turned out i was leaky opil from the front jug on to the exhaust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the whine happens idle, it's deffinately engine but common I hear (though I suspect mines louder)

As far as oil, when It started I changed the oil, weighed in according to the manual. It says you can go very low, but slightly over is a major issue.

I'm worrying less and less about the tap. It kept me off the bike for the end of last summer and I'm just going to enjoy the bike untill I get time to figure out how to adjust the valves....Or untill I hear another warrior doing the same thing.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
113 Posts
Both my neighbor and I ride warriors in various states of modification, from mild to approaching wild and live in Germantown MD...shoot me a PM some time and I'm sure we could meet up for a compair if you still need it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 warrior, 2000 some odd miles. Stock except for big shots. Yamaha oil, changed yearly per manual procedure.

I have a symphony of sounds coming from that motor (as expected from a giant air cooled motor). There is a tap as it warms up though, that drives me insane. It's all I hear when I'm riding....that along with a whiney bearing sound (again, louder as it warms).

That whine, on the bigger chilllers I work on, means your main roller bearing is shot and the compressor will eat itself alive soon. I dont know if it means anything on my warrior. It occurs at idle and all speeds.

The tap comes from the upper rear head, left side if your sitting on it. Others have commented on the tap, it's not just me being anal. The tap started after a hard ride from Baltimore to Pittsburgh...100 mph most of the way but no extreme hammering on it.

I really am too broke for the 90 dollar an hour mechanic. Does this tap mean I am possibly doing damage? Oh, I could not find any metal shavings in the oil. I honestly cant tell if it gets worse over time or if I'm getting more neurotic about it.

There is no tap and only very slight whine when the motor is cool. Some say it's just a warrior, they tap and whine and backfire and eat harleys.....others say noise means damage.

opinions?
I have the same noise i think. Drives me mad too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts