RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have trouble with gas containing ethenol? I filled up a station that I normally never stop at and didn't realize that they had 10% ethenol and now my bike runs like crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
Do a search here for Ethenol, this has already been hashed over inside and out. End line was it should make no difference a s long as it is only 10%. Also can not be run if you have HC pistons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
that's all we have around here is 10% ethanol. bike runs great , no issues so far.Same with car except for a slight loss in MPG.


Don't let it sit around for a long time or leave it open to the atmosphere , that is not good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Research may show that it shouldn't make a difference but it seems awfull coincendental that my bike ran great "pre-ethenol". Also, my mechanic, who has been working on bikes for almost 20 years, told me that was the problem. I drained the fuel and filled up with 91 octane (no ethenol) so I'll let you know if it helped.
 

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
Joined
·
30,714 Posts
[Corrected by ArizonaWarrior:]


Ethanol tagged E85 will run fine [in cars marked for it] but will yield about 10% lower mileage for the same price. Its a rip-off.


[I agree the Warrior is not designed to run E85]


[I agree I screwed up and I take it back don't beat me up too bad!]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
It could just be the what distributor the station uses. I found with my 1500 Hemi pickup I would get


all sorts of sputtering and junk from a station I always had used prior to getting the truck but if I


filled at a name brand station (Exxon, Mobil when it was around, etc) I never had a problem. So now


thats all I get for truck or bike and haven't had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,677 Posts
jerry Morgan said:
Research may show that it shouldn't make a difference but it seems awfull coincendental that my bike ran great "pre-ethenol". Also, my mechanic, who has been working on bikes for almost 20 years, told me that was the problem. I drained the fuel and filled up with 91 octane (no ethenol) so I'll let you know if it helped.

"as much as" 10% ethanol is not a new thing. That's been pretty much universal since shortly after hurricane Rita. As far as I know, all the refineries are putting ethanol in their gas blends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I figured, The place I got the "bad" gas was a little mom & pop operation....I've decided to do the same, only use name brand stations, let's hope that fixes my problem.
 

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
Joined
·
30,714 Posts
Not true I see plenty of pumps marked E85 and plenty of others not marked as the law would require.I drive a lot so I notice the reduced mileage from E85 and candidly it pisses me off (LOL)
but there's little we can do
but drink a beer and *** about it
plus I go back to the stations that have real gas. E85 should not be confused with seasonal blending, which you can read about here if interested: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05421.pdf
.


ridingrules said:
"as much as" 10% ethanol is not a new thing. That's been pretty much universal since shortly after hurricane Rita. As far as I know, all the refineries are putting ethanol in their gas blends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
maybe some carification here will help. E85 is 85% ethanol. This E10 stuff you guys are talking about will run with a little reduced mpg. E85 will not run in something not designed for it.Ford vehicles that are flex fuel compatible actually have a totally seperate fuel strategy when it senses the use of e85. So...E10...it will run little decrease in mpg and power...maybe a nickel cheaper than regular. E85....wont run in something not designed for it.......but up to a buck cheaper.
 

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
Joined
·
30,714 Posts
Good idea, I see your point
you are right. The Warrior is NOT designed to run E85.


I corrected my post above - what was I thinking - DOH!


boomstick said:
maybe some carification here will help. E85 is 85% ethanol. This E10 stuff you guys are talking about will run with a little reduced mpg. E85 will not run in something not designed for it.Ford vehicles that are flex fuel compatible actually have a totally seperate fuel strategy when it senses the use of e85. So...E10...it will run little decrease in mpg and power...maybe a nickel cheaper than regular. E85....wont run in something not designed for it.......but up to a buck cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,257 Posts
Oh and to let you know, those advertisements that claim E85 is cheaper are bogus. Sure, it's cheaper per gallon but the gas mileage isn't nearly as good, so it ends up being about the same cost as regular fuel. How do I know? I do lots of marketingIN FAVOR OFE85. It is better for the envionment, but certainly not for your wallet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
There's a percentage rate that is out there that tells you what percent lower gas mileage you will most likely see from using E85. I think it's around 30%....someone please correct me if you know it.Compare the purchase price per gallon of E85 to regular. E85 is a smart choice only once the purchase price percentage drops below the mpg loss percentage. I've used it twice when this condition was present at my local stations.....last time was when they hiked it up for Ike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Almost all gas stations around my area serves 10% Ethenol mix. The bike felt sluggish ever since I started using it.


In fact, I might have to pull my plugs today and see what's going on inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
My stock 2006 runs terrible on 10% ethenol Backfiring, hard to start, quitting while idling.

Tonight I filled up with Sunoco 110 racing fuel and within just a few miles it was running sweet and smooth. No backfiring at all even decelerating down a hill. I tried blipping the throttle and hard acceleration in low and turning the throttle all the way down. All it did was run perfect. I was having so much fun that my "test ride" turned into a 60 mile run to Starkey Station. If I can figure out how to carry an extra 10 gallons I might just use racing fuel all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,891 Posts
gougeeye said:
My stock 2006 runs terrible on 10% ethenol Backfiring, hard to start, quitting while idling.

Tonight I filled up with Sunoco 110 racing fuel and within just a few miles it was running sweet and smooth. No backfiring at all even decelerating down a hill. I tried blipping the throttle and hard acceleration in low and turning the throttle all the way down. All it did was run perfect. I was having so much fun that my "test ride" turned into a 60 mile run to Starkey Station. If I can figure out how to carry an extra 10 gallons I might just use racing fuel all the time.


Normal
0


false
false
false







MicrosoftInternetExplorer4








/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}








Did it really? A stock Warrior only has 8.3:1 compression.
Your odds of seeing any actual performance gains are about 0% unless for some
reason you’re suffering from piston knock at low RPM. In fact if you do a
search you may find the general consensus on this site is you’re more likely to
suffer a drop in performance from the use of "race gas".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,457 Posts
Monstrddg said:
gougeeye said:
My stock 2006 runs terrible on 10% ethenol Backfiring, hard to start, quitting while idling.


Tonight I filled up with Sunoco 110 racing fuel and within just a few miles it was running sweet and smooth. No backfiring at all even decelerating down a hill. I tried blipping the throttle and hard acceleration in low and turning the throttle all the way down. All it did was run perfect. I was having so much fun that my "test ride" turned into a 60 mile run to Starkey Station. If I can figure out how to carry an extra 10 gallons I might just use racing fuel all the time.
Did it really? A stock Warrior only has 8.3:1 compression. Your odds of seeing any actual performance gains are about 0% unless for some reason you’re suffering from piston knock at low RPM. In fact if you do a search you may find the general consensus on this site is you’re more likely to suffer a drop in performance from the use of "race gas".
I'll second that....a proper tune would be a better solution.


What did that fill up cost you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Racing fuel is a big waste of money,unless you have a race bike.8.3 compression in stock Warrior.I use 89 octane,its the most stable.Bike runs awesome.I seen a guy at the dyno with a stock Busa.He swore the race fuel was better.They dida run with 92 octane and then with the race fuel.With the race fuel he lost 3 hp & 3 lb ft of tq.I did laugh at him.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top