RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been drag racing for many years. this Warrior is the first bike i have ever purchased and learned to ride on. i love the sound of a lopey idle eg: a big overlap on the cam. how can i make my Warrior sound like this? sorry to admit it but the hd's to me sound pretty awesome. where can i go on the web to hear what the ss or patrick racing cams sound like? i called web cams and they can grind me any cam profile i desire as long as i have the ceramic faced lifters. of course, im not going to have a set of cams custom ground just for the exhaust note but would like some input. thnx

·
Registered
264 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we won't ever get that lopey HD sound out of our bikes. All the overlap and high duration cam stuff in the V8 world doesn't really apply to making a Vtwin lope. HD's lope because of the design of their crank. Their engines have a cycle that goes over 400° of rotation without firing. A modern engineer wouldn't design an engine the way harley did back in the early 1900's, but the sound is pretty much what kept them alive IMO.

Other bike makers have tried to make their bikes lope and Harley gets pissed and sues them. Honda made a bike that has a real lopey idle and guess what, they had to quite making them.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Other bike makers have tried to make their bikes lope and Harley gets pissed and sues them. Honda made a bike that has a real lopey idle and guess what, they had to quite making them.
Got a link with more information on that? Doesn't seem likely they would be able to sue over that.

Harleys sound like ass to me anyway, can't see anyone actually wanting that sound.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Harley has a single pin crankshaft. The result of this is that the pistons don't fire at the optimum point of the compression cycle. Road Stars do as well, so we sound similar. Honda did have a single pin crank, but they didn't quit it because they were threatened with being sued - that technology is 100 years old -they quit single pin and went to double pin because people who buy Hondas want a smooth engine. I had one, and it's like riding a fine german automobile. But it's not like sitting on a true bike. It just sits there and idles quietly. Anyway, I'm not an engineer however, so here's a pretty freaking good link with animation that shows a 1600 Road Star single pin and a double pin engine. It's got a much better explanation and the history of the engine etc. The V-Twin

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Sounded to Harleyishhh to me. I personally prefer the stock exhaust sound but don't care too much at all for the look of the ugly cannon style bean can stock muffler.

That is a great sound clip! That's a stock cammed R* I think.

Anyone have one for a cammed R* Warrior . . .

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
That is a great sound clip! That's a stock cammed R* I think.

Anyone have one for a cammed R* Warrior . . .
Here ya go...all the S* parts except the injectors and ecu which sux it says the power is made at 5500 with the cams. may try to get one someday. it was done by the previous owner i was told it was a 108 but after i finally got some paper work it's just HC S* pistons.dosn't sound to lopey to me nothing like a harley anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have heard some v-max engines on you tube and they have that mean lopey race idle. too bad, i think they r ugly...

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
i have been drag racing for many years. this Warrior is the first bike i have ever purchased and learned to ride on. i love the sound of a lopey idle eg: a big overlap on the cam. how can i make my Warrior sound like this? sorry to admit it but the hd's to me sound pretty awesome. where can i go on the web to hear what the ss or patrick racing cams sound like? i called web cams and they can grind me any cam profile i desire as long as i have the ceramic faced lifters. of course, im not going to have a set of cams custom ground just for the exhaust note but would like some input. thnx
DITTO! There's nothing like hearing a high compression big cam V8. After selling my 81 Malibu with a 580hp 383 stoker I have been searching for ways to make my Warrior sound similar. That's why I made a set of pipes using true 3" exhaust pipe.... hoping to get that throaty resonating sound. I've walked into the local bar a few times and have been asked "what the **** kinda car is that". Check out this thread... http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/14-installed-warrior-modifications-accessories/170973-diy-pipes.html#post2188740

·
Registered
574 Posts
Harley may have tried to trademark that somehow -but obviously they didn't succeed, since we have the single pin crank.
Hmm, warriors don't have the potato-potato sound, a single-pin crank can't really be the cause of that. The clip posted by 60ftgap (cool, thanks) sounds more like a hot rod than potato-potato.

Getting hungry with this discussion.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Well, I'm by no means an expert on Harleys, but this is what I've been told for years. Went over to their forum to look into idle speeds, and the newer (newer than '96) F.I. models are supposed to idle at about 950 -so it's about the same as us. Saw an interesting thread though -they all agreed that to get that old school potato potato sound, you gotta slow down the idle. One guy said he had his at 650 -which everybody warned him was too low -not enough oil pressure. Also, the older ones did idle slower (carb models). So you MIGHT be able to get that sound if you slowed down the idle. BUT -I used to have an old GS 850 that I did that to once because I wanted to get a little more rumble out of, and a little less sewing machine. Sounded great at idle. Had absolutely NO top end. Just ran out above 65 mph. I'm sure there's other, more technical reasons why you shouldn't drop the idle as well. Anyway, that's my $.02 ...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ive lowerd the idle on mine. it did get a slight lope to it but i had more trouble with it starting and the idle speed would fluctuate...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts