RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been doing some looking for a new exhaust. The one I have I’m not even sure what it is... it’s loud and sounds pretty decent but I can’t figure out the brand. Problem is, it’s got a major chip on the side of the chrome so I want to replace it. I’m looking at some Vance and Hines and cobra pipes.
I have seen some talk about how 2-1 pipes give you some extra power. As well as having a baffle can give you extra power. Is this true? And to what extent?
Second question, some people talk about having to “bump” the ECU after changing their exhaust. What does this mean and how do you do it? I’ve seen talk of checking the spark plugs to see if you’re running lean or not but it seems like a lot of hassle to re check all the plugs after just changing the exhaust...? Any help Is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
If you're already running a aftermarket exhaust and don't have any issues I wouldn't worry about bumping the ecu. Bumping the ecu is a procedure to change the fuel settings in the factory ecu, you can add or subtract fuel but it's a generic adjustment that effects the entire fuel table where as a fuel programmer allows you to add and subtract fuel throughout the fuel table (map).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Also post up some pics so we can help you determine which exhaust you have. Finding new pipes is getting harder these days as they are no longer made. So pick what style you are looking for and start hunting.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey there, I was able to zoom in on the pipes, but not familiar with them. I can see why they are loud as they are basically in line where you sit. These are what we call in Australia as “ straight throughs “ in other words they are like long header pipes. You won’t be able to put baffles in those. Also while zooming in I noticed the colour or the exhaust and it’s not bad. I have seen pipes like these on a Yam 1300 and the exhaust on those were as black as black. This is pretty black as far as the colour black is when your looking at black. Sometimes described as midnight black which isn’t as dark as pitch black. The last loaner bike I had was an XVS650 Classic and it had straight throughs and these made my warrior seem whisper quiet. Luckily I return it today. This was the date that mine would be ready ( not ) So they lent another 650 A which has Vance and Hines and isn’t so loud.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not sure about that. The last picture made it hard to see the ends of the pipes. They are super sharp like pointy.

·
Registered
975 Posts
They look like Samsons to me. I've never seen tips like that on them though. They certainly could have baffles in them. It's called a head pipe installation and I have them in my Samsons. Shine a bright flashlight up there and you'll see them if they're there.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Looks like someone took the stock tips and cut the angles themselves. Not bad looking pipes. Header wrap them if the chromes starting to peel

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you know guys, now that I’m looking at it... if you’re right about the Samson’s. Do you think those end pieces come off? That’s the only part that’s scuffed you and I’d be okay without them anyways...

·
Registered
553 Posts
I’m not sure about that. The last picture made it hard to see the ends of the pipes. They are super sharp like pointy. View attachment 248124
I’m confused with how the ends are located ( the end pieces ). A friend here has a Honda Fury and his pipes face the ground thus giving an amazing crack sound as the sound wave bounce off the earth. Is it common that people have their end caps basically bouncing off each other?

·
Registered
975 Posts
you know guys, now that I’m looking at it... if you’re right about the Samson’s. Do you think those end pieces come off? That’s the only part that’s scuffed you and I’d be okay without them anyways...
Yes the ends come off. There should be a hose clamp holding each on. Samson made many different tips so you can change the look easily. You just need to find a set as they dont make them anymore.
They come up for sale fairly often here and on Ebay. You just need to be in the right place at the right time!

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
If you do not have baffles and want to try sliding some in, I tried with mine but only got a little sound reduction. I was not looking to quiet them, but tried to see if backpressure on the valves helped in any way. Take the pipes off, take the tips off, and find the Diameter of the pipe. (You can do this without removal of the pipes first!) Find and order short baffels of the right size, (remove pipes-tips) and slide them in, measuring how far into the exhaust they go to line up the screw hole on the baffle. Careful not force them in and get them stuck. I used a long pair of vice-grip needle nose plyers to hold the nut, it can be done, and catch the bolt. Make sure it is deep enough so the tips can go back on, maybe even the same bolt? Good luck, I would just leave it. Too much work, no real gains! P1030916.JPG Chrome and grass.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts