RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local dealer today, and got a price on installing Speed Star Pistons, Gaskets, Cams and Springs in my Warrior...

$760.00 Labor Cost

He said he was cutting 2 hrs of labor ($160) out for me and giving me a deal.

What have you paid to have this installed?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Let my piggy back on this one...

What advantage is there installing the Speed Star pistons?

I supose you get a higher compression ratio...does this mean premium?

What's the gain in HP and torque?

Any Yamaha warranty?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don't have the speed star kit but the price for labor seems reasonable. I mean, you are pretty much talking about an engine rebuild. I personally don't understand it though. The warrior has more than enough power as is. Unless I was going to race on a track I just couldn't justify spending the money for power that I'll never use on public roads.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I've read, The Speedstar Stage IV kit can yield up to 103 HP @ 5000 RPM and 121 ft lbs of Torque @ 3400 RPM.

Stock is 79 HP @ 4700 RPM and 101 ft lbs torque @ 3700 RPM

That equals faster to me...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will use the power up here. There's alot of distance between towns in Montana, and most of that distance is big open 4 lane highway. Also, I love to play with V-Rod's and M109's....

Anyway, it looks like it will take them 9-12 hrs to do the work. I'm just wondering if that sounds correct to anyone who's had it done?

·
Registered
571 Posts
That sounds about right if they take the time to degrime the heads and clean everythinglike it should be. I was quoted $6-$700. Make sure you install new lifters, they are not included with the speedstar cams. Also have them check if the valves are sealing properly, this is common with warrior engines.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Justice said:
....Anyway, it looks like it will take them 9-12 hrs to do the work. I'm just wondering if that sounds correct to anyone who's had it done?

I installed HC pistons myself andthat took me about 6 hours including cleaning parts as I went. Cams and spring should only add a couple of hours.

·
Registered
389 Posts
kja said:
Make sure you install new lifters, they are not included with the speedstar cams. Also have them check if the valves are sealing properly, this is common with warrior engines.

Why is this necessary? I'm cursious. New lifters aren't necessary on low mileage engine cam installs on most cars. Like I said. I am just curious as to why.

·
Registered
571 Posts
kickice24 said:
kja said:
Make sure you install new lifters, they are not included with the speedstar cams. Also have them check if the valves are sealing properly, this is common with warrior engines.

Why is this necessary? I'm cursious. New lifters aren't necessary on low mileage engine cam installs on most cars. Like I said. I am just curious as to why.

The lifters and cam should be broke in together. The chance of lifter or cam failure goes up alot mixing used lifters to new cams. If you search the forum you can find some good deals on lifters, if not a dealer should have them. It's cheap insurance. As far as the cars go are those roller lifter motors?

·
Registered
389 Posts
No. Just hydraulic lifter OHC motors. We've cam'd many motors w/o replacing lifters with no ill effects.I know it never hurts to replace them though!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Justice, That estimate is in the ball park.

I paid my dealer to install the cams, lifters and springs about 2 years ago, and it was a bit under $600. He gave me a quote of $800, based on their book.

Make sure they know it doesn't have to have the motor removed from the frame. The service manager thought it did. I told him I could frunish a vidio with the Frankensteen doing it. The chief mechanic said he has seen it.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The_Bear said:
Make sure they know it doesn't have to have the motor removed from the frame. The service manager thought it did. I told him I could frunish a vidio with the Frankensteen doing it. The chief mechanic said he has seen it.

Yamaha say that the motor has to be removed. The only reason I can think of is so you can torque all the rocker cover bolts.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I suppose you might get that much out of a full Stage IV kit. I had two full Sage IV equipped Warriors, both very strong running and had them each dynoed multiple times. Dynos were at 600' elevation and the air temps were never above the mid 60's. Neither one ever gave more than 98 HP and I don't think either one got over 110 ft. lbs.

Bottom line, you will be pleased with your Stage IV Warrior, as soon as the tach hits 3,000 RPM to the limiter.

Rob, of Orient Express who used to post alot around here said of the number of Warriors they had dynoed, that they had seen stock Warriors dyno at the reat wheel between about 74 to 80 HP.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
that price seems reasonable to me....unless someone on this forum wants to do it for cheaper

·
Banned
830 Posts
Justice said:
I went to the local dealer today, and got a price on installing Speed Star Pistons, Gaskets, Cams and Springs in my Warrior...

$760.00 Labor Cost

He said he was cutting 2 hrs of labor ($160) out for me and giving me a deal.

What have you paid to have this installed?

It sounds to me to be a reasonable Quote.

I have the CompleteSpeed Star kit and love it!Hammer the Sh*t out of the bike everytimeI ride it with no issues.

Check out the Dyno sheet:

" mce_src="

·
Banned
830 Posts
I forgot, this dyno run was done without any tuning, no PClll. Just the Speed Star computor. I feelI could get better #'s with some tuning and a map.

FYI:I have a Yamaha Speed Star exhaust for sale if your interested.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd take the brunette for a ride, but I'm not a fan of the V-Max....

I got to check one out the other day, and while it's impressive on alot of levels (HP!!!), it's just not for me....

The brunette, though....

now that's another story!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts