RS Warrior Forum banner

Fender options for 280 kit?

15K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  TECK 
#1 ·
I'm drooling... In 2-3 months I will have a kit like the one showed below, but chromed instead of white.
What options do I have for fender? If possible, I want to basically make wider the stock fender and have the back of the bike look stock.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here it is an interesting idea to mod the rear fender for a 280 kit:

And the finished product:

It looks amazing, don't do you think? A premade contoured fender costs $400-$600 + paint job. You will not save to much money... To weld it like that you will spend like $250 + $100 for the paint job. But you will get a stock looking fender that will fit perfect with your seat and tail light....

#3 ·
It is going to cost you to have your fender stays widened.Unless you can do it yourself.Or you will have to shim them to space them out.I went with a 280 myself and one thing leads to another.The good thing is that you wont have to fab up a rear seat mount.You will just have to drill new holes.Good luck to you.It's going to look good when you finish.

#4 ·
TECK, that's the only way I would go for a 280 kit - by having a widened stock rear fender - and until you showed those pictures I was planning on not going any bigger than 260 for that very reason. Keep me posted, please, on what you end up finding out about time, cost, and difficulty of that project.

Oh and congrats on an awesome upgrade!!

#5 ·
well if I was going to shell out $$$ I'd go for a custom looking (ie different than stock looking) fender. I like the look of the stock fender on a stock bike. It may even pass on a 240, but to me the whole idea about going to a phat azz like a 280 is to be different n looking unique.

YMMV....

#6 ·
+1 I like the stock rear fender because its unique on the road.

Shawnzilla said:
TECK, that's the only way I would go for a 280 kit - by having a widened stock rear fender - and until you showed those pictures I was planning on not going any bigger than 260 for that very reason. Keep me posted, please, on what you end up finding out about time, cost, and difficulty of that project.

Oh and congrats on an awesome upgrade!!

#7 ·
Thanks guys for your support. Here it is more info... Right now I have a Corbin Hollywood Solo.

The custom fender looks OK, but what turns me off is the big gap you see between the fender and seat... I think that is the seat bracket mod gilly is talking about. I really do not want to change the seat or go with a custom job on it, I like it the way it is now. On every wide tire chopper you will see a rouded custom fender, but how many Warriors have their stock fender designed to be dropped all the way with Tricky? Not many, I bet. Plus, think of it this way... if a Harley guys ask you about the tire mod, you could tell him: "Ehh? This is a stock wheel..." Hehe.

mdfdwarrior, does the stock fender looks that bad? Honestly, I like it. I'm thinking to cut it a little shorter
(Oliver's style) and wide it up to allow the Tricky ride drop all the
way down. Let me know your thoughts on that, guys. Your oppinion counts
a lot and I always get good advices on those forums.

Picture this: You park your bike and walk away... people are looking at it and comment (preferably the HD guys)... you reach into your pocket and press the remote button... the bike slams down. You know what I mean... The cool factor goes to the sky. Same when you get close to the bike. I think this would be a very unique bike on it's own way. So far the only mods left for me are the Carlini bars internally wired, custom hand controls, wide kit and the paint job... both done at the same time, since I mod the rear fender. Then, I can ride my baby for years...

#9 ·
I love those hand controls.What kind are they? I know what you mean about the gap between the fender,and the back of the seat.I fab'ed mine so that I can use any stock seat.I didn't want to have to get a custom seat every time I wanted to change seats.It takes a little work,but it looks fine.As soon as I can get someone over here to show me how to post a picture ill show you what mine looks like.It may give you some idea's.What do you do about your cables for those hand controls? Custom---yamaha on the bottom,and harley on top.

#10 ·
JPWarrior has those hand controls installed on his bike. They are custom made by Euro Components, in Daytona... and they cost a fortune. They will be the last on my mod list. I will contact JP on another thread to post a howto related to those controls.

As Arizona Warrior said, the stock fender have a sweet unique look, especially when it will be wide.
Now, the stock fender is designed to fit maximum a 240 tire, without any modifications and Tricky dropped all the way down. If I go with the 280 tire, I will need to wide the fender another 40mm to compensate. I think I will do a 50mm stretch... just to be safe. Do you think I should do 60mm? Let me know please. I've got a guy here in Montreal who is really good with welding. He does jobs for custom chopper builders.

gilly, if you want to post a picture, I wrote a tutorial in Site Help forum. It made it as sticky. Curious to see your mod...

Let me know also what options do I have for fender stays. Thanks guys!

#11 ·
Hi Teck, You need to find out from your welder,if you are going to modify your stock fender,He needs to modify the inner fender support also,because if he doesn't,The stock fender will shake like crazy while you are going down the road.The stock fender is very thin and not very sturdy without the support.My custom fender from BMS is 14 gauge and super sturdy.No need for support.The fender stays have to be widened to 12 1/2 inches.I had BMS do the fender stays.I bought my paint from Color Rite.I have the Dark Cherry,and it almost matches perfect.I'm not to good on the computer,and thanks for showing me where to look on how to post pic's.I'll give it another shot.

#12 ·
The stock rear fender accomodates a 260mm rear tire tightly,it barely fits but it does fit. Some bikes need offset shimming, don't know why it seems like a random event and nobody really jumped into the post we set up to discover why.

IMO widen this rear fender to fit a 280 tight plus only2mm, or widento 282mm. It lookssweetest when its filled with fat tire meat!

#13 ·
I agree. I think the best answer I could get is from the actual wide wheel vendor.
They will be able to tell me exactly how much to I have to strech the fender, in order to accomodate snug the phat tire...

I purchased on eBay the swingarm for $131.50 and the fender stays for $51.00. I've already got a 3 spoke stock wheel from tgeirk, for $100.00. All
I need left is a stock fender so I can start modding them. I do not
want to mod the stock parts, just I case I sell the bike and keep the
modded parts for another newer Warrior.

#18 ·
Gilly,

That is so sweet! While I like the Warrior fender, even when widened it doesn't say "custom" to me. I'm doing this very same thing with a 260 and hopefully it will turn out as nice as yours. I have a 16 gage fender blank I'm going to fit this winter, new paint, newly powdercoated wheels, and a tricky air. I trying to imagine your bike with the V&H Big Radius 2-1.

#19 ·
Indeed, it looks nice.
However, I have no choice but to stick with the stock fender because we cannot run a side license plate in Quebec...
Also, I really try to avoid the Harley phat tire look...

At least my bike will not look like Pep's, hehe.

Of course he will steal the hole show with his glorious pipes... that's life.

Duke, I will call you those days to see how you are, been a while we did not talked.

#21 ·
Hi Alan,and thanks to everyone.The fender blank and the fender stays are from BMS.A guy named Paul gave me a real good deal.Teck, I just wanted to tell you that I ride back and forth from Alabama to Florida so I have a horizontal tag mount as well.I made one similar to the style of performance image except horizontal.It looks pretty good.

#22 ·
Pep said:
No problem Floren. I look forward to hearing from you.

Question: You can't run a sidemount plate in Quebec? I can understand why you can't run a vertical sidemount, but are you sure you can't run a horizontal one?
The cops are very picky with the plates and stop lights here. Is like playing russian roulette to get a ticket. I already have the pipes that can make them stop me easy, mirrors, etc. Less troubles... If I install a fender like gilly's with a thin line as tail light, that is guaranteed a 48hrs ticket to have it replaced with a stock part. Quebec is the worst place to drive a motorcycle that is not stock. ****, they stop you for not having the side reflectors installed, imagine a plate that they cannot see properly...

#24 ·
I'm pretty sure they will not complain, because they will see the US plate. Legally, they could stop you like in any other US State where you are in violation with the plate position... but is common sense. Who is actually calling to see the motorcycle regulations for each state, when they travel across US?

#26 ·
Yes you are right. In the US you can't get a ticket in another state if your vehicleis licensed in your home-state and meets your home-states laws. Just like driving a US vehicle in Canada, or reverse, they won't ticket when they see the out-of-state or out-of-country plate. That being said there sure are a lot of US states putting in motorcycle license plate laws right now. The side mount vertical seems under attack, as do fold-up brackets (designed to fold-away if it bottoms-out on the road) because too many guys modify them to stay folded all the time.

TECK said:
I'm pretty sure they will not complain, because they will see the US plate. Legally, they could stop you like in any other US State where you are in violation with the plate position... but is common sense. Who is actually calling to see the motorcycle regulations for each state, when they travel across US?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.