RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the chrome yamaha fender stays made out of the same aluminum as stock ones? I have an extraset of Yami chrome ones I am considering sending to BMS to have widened so I don't have to send the stock ones on my bike. Anyone know if there is a difference?

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
baclay9 said:
Are the chrome yamaha fender stays made out of the same aluminum as stock ones? I have an extraset of Yami chrome ones I am considering sending to BMS to have widened so I don't have to send the stock ones on my bike. Anyone know if there is a difference?
IMO no difference. They are an aluminum casting and most likely the same alloy, AA356 or equiv.

The question is will BMS mind as they are chrome plated and will require more preparation. The plating must be removed to the parent mat'l before welding.

I would suggest you call or contact BMS!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had intended on sandblasting the chrome off before sending them in. I guess that is how you get chrome off. I have a small blasting cabinet I have been acheing to use.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
baclay9 said:
I had intended on sandblasting the chrome off before sending them in. I guess that is how you get chrome off. I have a small blasting cabinet I have been acheing to use.
If I had to weld on them I would much rather weld on the set that had never been chromed. The chemicals used in chrome process really contaminate the material.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
baclay9 said:
Chrome plating is generally stripped by reversing the electrolytic process if rechroming is req'd.

As i stated previously, i would contact BMS first. The aluminum base mat'l is softer than the plating. This is not something i've ever done other then removing the stray plating in the bearing pockets of the Warrior wheels!

Not that you asked, but i'm sure you can sell the chrome fender stays in a heart beat!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts