RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen mentioned some bikes have what seems to be an over-drive type fifth gear from the standard RoadStar. Did Yamaha change gearing from year to year. What is the standard gear for my '04 RSW, a Warrior gear or Roadstar gear. I get about 36 MPG with HK staggered straights and mapped PClllUSB.
Thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
it's a 5th gear from a roadstar yes, it gives you more top end...it's a break open your tranny and switch...something for the dealer to do

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
36 mpg?

I did a 120 mile jaunt last weekend... and kept it under 85 ( for a change ) and ended up getting 49mpg!
Holy WOW... sure it takes longer to get to the grocery store at 70... but
49 MPG!
I average about 39..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by The_editor

36 mpg?

I did a 120 mile jaunt last weekend... and kept it under 85 ( for a change ) and ended up getting 49mpg!
Holy WOW... sure it takes longer to get to the grocery store at 70... but
49 MPG!
I average about 39..

I wondered about my mileage but did a search last night and this seems about average. Much of this riding was two-up and and a fair amount of stp-and-go. Bike is new, 800 miles, and I haven't had a chance for a long hiway ride alone. I would expect to see at least 40 MPG but then again, this is monster of an engine and she does run hard! Pulls like a freight train.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
Stock 5th gear set is a .80 overdrive. The Roadstar gear set gives you a .75 overdrive, lower rpm at any given speed for better fuel economy and a higher top end. Many of us had these gears swapped in when we had the tranny recall done. The cases have to be split to get to the gears so it is a time consuming and/or costly affair.
Comparing gas mileage means nothing unless you are both riding the same way. 49mpg would be just about impossible for some because of the heavy throttle hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts