RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m the epitome of horrible. Bought my 08 in 2010 still in a crate. Did the first couple scheduled maintenances. Then drove it and changed the oil. Did some general stuff, pipes, fuel module, grips. Easy stuff. Then I had a son. Then another…and another. Bought a house… you guys know the routine… anyway I can’t bring myself to trade it in or even sell it. I love everything about these bikes of ours. Looked at Harley’s with a friend who was buying a road king. Wasn’t one bike in the dealer imo that looks anywhere as nice as a warrior. Different strokes etc.

So today I drove her over to a mechanic some friends recommended. Hesitant but I checked their www. They actually did a complete show bike on an 09 warrior. Man it was humbling walking in cause I just had to own that I haven’t taken care of her but it’s all about to change. Tires, oil and the scheduled 10k mile maintenance is where we re starting. It’s all 12 years old gotta start somewhere.

They’re gonna install my ais block offs while they’re at it bought that 8 years ago and it’s been in the saddle bag since!
Since he’s gonna have it apart how happy would I be if I just did a BAK while they’re there? I’m just gonna bite the bullet but bang for your buck I think that’s a reasonable upgrade that won’t tilt the scales on the budget… lord knows there is plenty of info on here about the BAK, I ain’t racing it but I ain’t getting rid of it either! Stay safe boys and girls!

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,549 Posts
What matters is you’re giving her love now! These things are pretty bulletproof so they can take a lot of abuse and still come out shiny on the other side. Post some pics when you can.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,986 Posts
The VBAK or some generic BAK replaces the silencer undertank airbox so you will hear your motor mechanicals. Most of us love it. For some it takes some time. If you worry about a sound you hear after doing s VBAK/BAK then post here in your own thread.

With a VBAK you will feel more power in the bottom of the rpm range and across the top third of the rpm range. A regular BAK will give you more power off the line but no power above stock after that. With VBAK getting on the freeway is even more effortless. And with free flowing aftermarket exhaust your beard will blow back. You'll eventually install a Barnett SR-2 Clutch spring kit to keep the power from glazing your clutch. Then you'll start finding ways to flow more motor oil (like better oil filters). Then you'll start dreaming of an appropriate fuel manager.

Buy a bunch of beer now. Keep it. You'll have it when the mod bug empties yer wallet lol.

Okay I exaggerate. Hmm. Or not!

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,549 Posts
The VBAK or some generic BAK replaces the silencer undertank airbox so you will hear your motor mechanicals. Most of us love it. For some it takes some time. If you worry about a sound you hear after doing s VBAK/BAK then post here in your own thread.

With a VBAK you will feel more power in the bottom of the rpm range and across the top third of the rpm range. A regular BAK will give you more power off the line but no power above stock after that. With VBAK getting on the freeway is even more effortless. And with free flowing aftermarket exhaust your beard will blow back. You'll eventually install a Barnett SR-2 Clutch spring kit to keep the power from glazing your clutch. Then you'll start finding ways to flow more motor oil (like better oil filters). Then you'll start dreaming of an appropriate fuel manager.

Buy a bunch of beer now. Keep it. You'll have it when the mod bug empties yer wallet lol.

Don’t know about @Fishy but this is EXACTLY where I am. I’ve probably spent upwards of $3k on mine in the last year and less than $100 for the 3 years before that.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,549 Posts
Random. Pick yer mods. First set sights on yer target.

Do you have a garage or workspace and tools?
I do. I haven’t purchased a single mod I don’t intend to install or update. And I have a garage and driveway behind a gate for doing just about anything and everything… what I don’t have is time. My two year old daughter and my wife pretty much consume every free minute I have. In the rare instance where I do have free time and energy to get to work, I find myself with Covid, recovering from surgery, or any number of other unfortunate life complications.

I finally had to put my foot down (very gently, mind you) to declare that I WILL have one day a month to go for a ride. I find the only time I can actually work on my bike is when I take vacation days off work… so the parts pile up until my next vacation day (which is incidentally in a couple weeks). I had hoped to do a bunch of these during my last time off during Thanksgiving week but I ended up picking up and swapping out @Desertboy13’s wide wheel and swing arm setup (no complaints, but still feel terrible about what happened with his bike).

So, now I need to decide on what will get done.
Hefty 33T Pulley
Avon Grips
Bar End Mirrors
Barons Lowering Links
Eibach 1000# Spring
Barnetts Pressure Plate
3-Plate Mod
Akitadog Coil Plate
Front Brake Lines Replacement
Rear Reservoir Hide
LED Strip Signals
COD Resistors
LED Blinker Relay
Red LED Body Lights
Rudy Bearing Mod Levers

Potential Sell Items (I said POTENTIAL, do not ask… wait for a post):
Supreme Legends Forward Controls
Extra Left Side Onyx Speedstar Scoop
Corbin/Yamaha Hollywood Solo Seat
Various Stock Items Like Turn Signals

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do. I haven’t purchased a single mod I don’t intend to install or update. And I have a garage and driveway behind a gate for doing just about anything and everything… what I don’t have is time. My two year old daughter and my wife pretty much consume every free minute I have. In the rare instance where I do have free time and energy to get to work, I find myself with Covid, recovering from surgery, or any number of other unfortunate life complications.

I finally had to put my foot down (very gently, mind you) to declare that I WILL have one day a month to go for a ride. I find the only time I can actually work on my bike is when I take vacation days off work… so the parts pile up until my next vacation day (which is incidentally in a couple weeks). I had hoped to do a bunch of these during my last time off during Thanksgiving week but I ended up picking up and swapping out @Desertboy13’s wide wheel and swing arm setup (no complaints, but still feel terrible about what happened with his bike).

So, now I need to decide on what will get done.
Hefty 33T Pulley
Avon Grips
Bar End Mirrors
Barons Lowering Links
Eibach 1000# Spring
Barnetts Pressure Plate
3-Plate Mod
Akitadog Coil Plate
Front Brake Lines Replacement
Rear Reservoir Hide
LED Strip Signals
COD Resistors
LED Blinker Relay
Red LED Body Lights
Rudy Bearing Mod Levers

Potential Sell Items (I said POTENTIAL, do not ask… wait for a post):
Supreme Legends Forward Controls
Extra Left Side Onyx Speedstar Scoop
Corbin/Yamaha Hollywood Solo Seat
Various Stock Items Like Turn Signals
Holy crap your going full bore! That’s freaking awesome. I been reading along here for years. Not sure I ll ever go that far cause it’s beyond my “mechanic ability”. That’s amazing your gonna tackle all that though pics pics pics.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What matters is you’re giving her love now! These things are pretty bulletproof so they can take a lot of abuse and still come out shiny on the other side. Post some pics when you can.
Will do.
Phase 1 is getting her road ready. I was
embarrassed at the state of my tires lol.
phase 2 is vb
Phase 3 is a detail. I may do that myself, just needs some time and a 6 pack to go along with it.

kicking myself because years ago the aftermarket what’s plentiful and I could have done it but life…

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,549 Posts
Holy crap your going full bore! That’s freaking awesome. I been reading along here for years. Not sure I ll ever go that far cause it’s beyond my “mechanic ability”. That’s amazing your gonna tackle all that though pics pics pics.
Haha! Thanks!

I always thought the same about the difficulty but after reading here tons, reading the maintenance manual, and buying a couple key tools, it truly isn’t all that difficult… until you come across a stuck fastener. But we figure those out too with the tips and tricks of the trade with some help from the wonderful folks here. And lately, I’ve picked up that torch and help where I can (just don’t ask me about engine internals; that’s one area I’m still clueless about. Luckily, you usually don’t need to get into those unless something has gone very, very wrong.

When you start a project, post up and we’ll share what we can to help make it easy.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,549 Posts
kicking myself because years ago the aftermarket what’s plentiful and I could have done it but life…
And now you know why I’m sitting on so many mods/parts. Three years ago, I ordered a brand new tank from Yamaha with no problem. Less than a year later, NO ONE could find a new tank. Shortly after, I realized that most aftermarket, and even stock items were drying up. That made me a greedy [email protected] and I started buying the parts I wanted as soon as I saw them available. A year ago, I finally got my VBAK, PC III, and Speedstar Gen II exhaust together and installed. I had been gathering parts for almost a year (the exhaust was the hard part).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And now you know why I’m sitting on so many mods/parts. Three years ago, I ordered a brand new tank from Yamaha with no problem. Less than a year later, NO ONE could find a new tank. Shortly after, I realized that most aftermarket, and even stock items were drying up. That made me a greedy [email protected] and I started buying the parts I wanted as soon as I saw them available. A year ago, I finally got my VBAK, PC III, and Speedstar Gen II exhaust together and installed. I had been gathering parts for almost a year (the exhaust was the hard part).
Funny. I’ve said on here before money changes over time. Not like I got it like that but when your 20yrs yes old 500$ seems like a lot more than when your 40! We all work hard for our money so you know what I mean I’m sure. After buying a house and having kids and all that. 500$ for a piece of happiness isn’t too much.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

So by your description I’d go vbak all the way. I ain’t racing the thing so I’m not worried about off the line so to speak. Forgive the ignorance but can you still even buy a church key vbak? Otherwise the Patrick racing and barons kits I know I can find atleast.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not that anyone is surprised but I ordered the churchkey vbak Saturday afternoon and it’s already in the mail. Can’t wait for spring! Thanks again for the guidance folks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts