RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Yamaha Roadliner S Midnight
1,041 Posts
After racing the Warrior for 5 seasons, I finally got a first place win! I've gotten a couple of 2nds and a few 3rds. I'm in the right lane for all the races, wearing the jacket with the American flag on the back.
Congratulations and well done. Despite all the surrounding noise, it was great to hear the announce state “ Yamaha Warrior “. All that work and effort has paid off for you😎😎🐝

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Congratulations and well done. Despite all the surrounding noise, it was great to hear the announce state “ Yamaha Warrior “. All that work and effort has paid off for you😎😎🐝
Thanks! If you liked hearing the PA announce "Yamaha Warrior", here's two videos of me AND ANOTHER WARRIOR racing. Watch me get my butt kicked both times. She's a pretty decent racer. Yes, a girl beat me! But I have no problem with that. I've never cared for that macho BS that some guys throw out. Shirley Muldowney was one of my favorite racers back in the day. I always admired her ability to put up with male racer's chauvinism - and it was pretty bad back then.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks! If you liked hearing the PA announce "Yamaha Warrior", here's two videos of me AND ANOTHER WARRIOR racing. Watch me get my butt kicked both times. She's a pretty decent racer. Yes, a girl beat me! But I have no problem with that. I've never cared for that macho BS that some guys throw out. Shirley Muldowney was one of my favorite racers back in the day. I always admired her ability to put up with male racer's chauvinism - and it was pretty bad back then.
Cool vids! I have never tried drag racing a bike, for some reason it scares me but I have dragged many cars in my day.

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Cool vids! I have never tried drag racing a bike, for some reason it scares me but I have dragged many cars in my day.
The Warrior scares me just a little bit but only when I launch. But after 5 years, I'm getting less nervous. I've never done a wheelie on it. On one weekend I had to wait for a replacement starter for the Warrior, so I raced my newly acquired 2007 Honda VTX1800. On my first Qualification Round, I launched and the Honda's front went up smooth and easy, and back down smooth and easy. "Wow," I thought, "That wasn't scary at all." I was so impressed with myself that I didn't notice that I had long since hit the rev limiter. The Honda was screaming at me, "SHIFT ALREADY, DAMMIT!". :ROFLMAO: I later lost in the first round of eliminations but did four more smaller wheelies during Test and Tunes that day.

Here's the bad part. I'm thinking of selling the Honda (definitly keeping the Warrior) and IF I can find one for a good deal, buying a 2nd gen VMax to race instead of (or in addition to) the Warrior. That would be a really scary bike. Going from the Warrior's hp/torque 85/100 to the VMax's 200/123. Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
677 Posts
1st Gen Vmax was always a dream bike, as it was one of the first drag bikes for public traffic. Never got one, but now have the Warrior for highway blasts. An actual vmax with 200 hps would be cool.

·
Administrator
30,408 Posts
So with the VTX did you feel like due to over-rev thankfully the power band fell-away letting the front land, but if you had shifted then maybe the front end might have bounced back up and without steering you might have crossed lanes?

I have always found it difficult to swap between bikes on the strip or when out playing. But my not-recent experience in local quarter mile bracket and grudge, and more recent local matchups, well, its all for fun and win some but lose more.

But its not fun to swap machines and the VTX is known to be a monster in 60-feet. Nearly as quick as the Warrior. Considering the bike swap, I would guess you did great just getting to the finish line. And I mean that with tons of respect brother, tons!

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
Man she did a nice holeshot in the first vid. It seems like her back half is also stronger on both vids. What does her bike have that you don't?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Man she did a nice holeshot in the first vid. It seems like her back half is also stronger on both vids. What does her bike have that you don't?
What does her bike have that I don't? Less weight (I'm a fat ass at 230) and she has a speed shifter. Her bike is a 2007, mine is 2005 with over 80,000 miles. So maybe mine's getting a little tired (that's the story I'm going to stick to 😁 ) And yes, she definitely got the hole shot on me that no way I could make up for.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So with the VTX did you feel like due to over-rev thankfully the power band fell-away letting the front land, but if you had shifted then maybe the front end might have bounced back up and without steering you might have crossed lanes?

I have always found it difficult to swap between bikes on the strip or when out playing. But my not-recent experience in local quarter mile bracket and grudge, and more recent local matchups, well, its all for fun and win some but lose more.

But its not fun to swap machines and the VTX is known to be a monster in 60-feet. Nearly as quick as the Warrior. Considering the bike swap, I would guess you did great just getting to the finish line. And I mean that with tons of respect brother, tons!
I'm not used to the VTX and found quite quickly that hitting the rev-limiter came quite quickly. But I had the same problem with the Warrior at first. So yes, switching bikes has some problems. What I know for sure is the VTX liked to go sideways, a problem I never have with the Warrior.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Holy shiiiit awesome picture but scary as heck! Solo run?
Another Test & Tune with someone else in the other lane. It didn't scare me, surprisingly. I just let off a bit and then got back on it. I didn't realize how far over I was until I saw this picture. And in case no one noticed, I red lighted on this one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Warrior scares me just a little bit but only when I launch. But after 5 years, I'm getting less nervous. I've never done a wheelie on it. On one weekend I had to wait for a replacement starter for the Warrior, so I raced my newly acquired 2007 Honda VTX1800. On my first Qualification Round, I launched and the Honda's front went up smooth and easy, and back down smooth and easy. "Wow," I thought, "That wasn't scary at all." I was so impressed with myself that I didn't notice that I had long since hit the rev limiter. The Honda was screaming at me, "SHIFT ALREADY, DAMMIT!". :ROFLMAO: I later lost in the first round but did four more smaller wheelies during Test and Tunes that day.

Here's the bad part. I'm thinking of selling the Honda (definitly keeping the Warrior) and IF I can find one for a good deal, buying a 2nd gen VMax to race instead of (or in addition to) the Warrior. That would be a really scary bike. Going from the Warrior's hp/torque 85/100 to the VMax's 200/123. Anybody have any thoughts?
I just bought a 16 VMax in August while still having my 14 Raider. I had an 85 VMax back when they first came out. Thought it was a monster but this Gen 2 is wickedly quick. It was totally stock but I have made some subtle mods then got the ECU flashed. I have not been on the strip since 2007 but going to have to see what this Max will do in the spring.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts