RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BIG thanks to this awesome forums and its members for all the info on here.

So I did way too much on the bike this past week. Installed the 33 tooth pulley, changed all fluids including brake, adjusted all the suspension sag and tried to get the rebound right. LED headlight, Ebay chrome wide levers (I think too wide for my short fingers). Last item on my maintenance was the iridium spark plugs. I pulled the intake box and I just didnt want to put it back on because it was such a pain to remove.

Reused all oem stuff except the bolt for the temp sensor, filters, and hose for the vent. Bumped the ECU +3 on each cylinder, which I may remove I just bumped it because it seems like everyone does.

Also removed the AIS system using the barrons kit and didnt do A THING for my popping on decel lol but I'm not putting it back on.....

Rode it for 30 minutes and no check engine lights or immediate issues jumping out hurray! Only thing I noticed is a slight hesitation at throttle in first gear from a stop.

Im going to get k&n filters eventually and maybe churchkey vbak when the money is ready. Route the lcv hose to the intake elbow if I can fit it. Possibly use the AkitaDog plate I have in the garage. I just havent decided on a route yet and I'm tired of working on the bike for awhile.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Lookin Good!! I have always found it relaxing to turn your own wrenches on ones ride. You get the satisfaction of knowing it was done
and done right. The forum and its members are truly priceless when it comes to all things RSW. Congrats on your hard work and
Be Safe, Ride Safe.
Rg

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lookin Good!! I have always found it relaxing to turn your own wrenches on ones ride. You get the satisfaction of knowing it was done
and done right. The forum and its members are truly priceless when it comes to all things RSW. Congrats on your hard work and
Be Safe, Ride Safe.
Rg
Agreed! The problem I have is the never ending mod spiral. Now I need to do something with the sides, dry break, fpr relocate...... list keeps going lol.

Anyone know where I can find adjustable levers that fit the warrior?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Good job.....

Jsut a quick note...

With the Stock Air box removed
And aftermarket exhaust

Your gonna need a Fuel management system

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good job.....

Jsut a quick note...

With the Stock Air box removed
And aftermarket exhaust

Your gonna need a Fuel management system

Yes, Ivan's flash is in my mod budget next! He said with his flash no fuel manager is needed but I know some say you still do.

·
Administrator
28,547 Posts
Ummm. Nah. Did Ivan tell you that personally, because he knows a fuel manager is needed in addition to his parameters-flash when you have certain mods. His flash does not alter the stock fuel map in ways that maintain air:fuel. You could melt your pistons very efficiently.

If you have that from Ivan in writing please send it to me in a Conversation so I can follow-up with him this week. Thanks man.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ummm. Nah. Did Ivan tell you that personally, because he knows a fuel manager is needed in addition to his parameters-flash when you have certain mods. His flash does not alter the stock fuel map in ways that maintain air:fuel. You could melt your pistons very efficiently.

If you have that from Ivan in writing please send it to me in a Conversation so I can follow-up with him this week. Thanks man.
Wasnt in writing but I did call him last week. Told him I was planning on doing a vbak and asked if a fuel controller was necessary and he stated it was not his flash would handle everything. Then he told me just to use the stock air box with his adapter and k&n filters instead to avoid mess.

Well shoot back to the drawing board. If I need a fuel controller then I wont get Ivan's flash. Need to read up some more.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
When I got mine flashed a few years ago Ivan said a fuel manager was needed for best performance and provided me with 2 maps for the PCIII. One for stock air box and V&H Big Shots and one for VBAK and Big Shots. Did you tell him that you had an aftermarket exhaust? I can say from experience that the free flowing exhaust makes a bigger difference than the VBAK, and without some kind of adjustment to the fuel mixture it will be lean and run hot. Maybe Ivan has made some additional changes since I got mine, but at that time there were only 2 different flashes. One for normal compression engines and one for high compression engines. Fueling for things like intake and exhaust mods needed some kind of controller for best performance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When I got mine flashed a few years ago Ivan said a fuel manager was needed for best performance and provided me with 2 maps for the PCIII. One for stock air box and V&H Big Shots and one for VBAK and Big Shots. Did you tell him that you had an aftermarket exhaust? I can say from experience that the free flowing exhaust makes a bigger difference than the VBAK, and without some kind of adjustment to the fuel mixture it will be lean and run hot. Maybe Ivan has made some additional changes since I got mine, but at that time there were only 2 different flashes. One for normal compression engines and one for high compression engines. Fueling for things like intake and exhaust mods needed some kind of controller for best performance.
Yes I told him I had drag pipes installed. I did tell him I wasnt looking for HP just a safe tune to not run too hot or too rich.

I will call him again but if I need a fuel controller I may just get dyno tuned on what ever controller the shop sells and is good with. This is why I hesitated on the vbak. Tuning right etc is such a pain being dependent on shops skills and even then they still blow up engines.......

I checked his site again and it does say "no fuel tuner needed for most setups" and "fuel tuner optional but not required" on the warrior page. Maybe he misunderstood me?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It may be that Ivan's flash makes it acceptable, but not best performance. I already had a PCIII on my '04 and wanted best performance.

I can say for sure that the PCIII made a difference. Better performance and smoother throttle response. When I got that bike it had the PCIII in it, but it had a map for a stock bike even though it had Big Shots on it like yours. One of the maps from here for V&H Big Shots made a noticeable improvement.

If you it turns out you need a controller and want one that needs no turning, Cobra is probably the best way to go. Just make sure to get the right one, as I guess they make different ones. arizonawarrior likes his and can probably tell you which one is best.

The DynoJet Autotune and a PCV is another way to go, but more expensive. The PCIII or PCV by itself will need the right map, but many are available here on the site that would probably suit your needs fine.

Beautiful Warrior you have there. I reminds me a lot of my old '04.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It may be that Ivan's flash makes it acceptable, but not best performance. I already had a PCIII on my '04 and wanted best performance.

I can say for sure that the PCIII made a difference. Better performance and smoother throttle response. When I got that bike it had the PCIII in it, but it had a map for a stock bike even though it had Big Shots on it like yours. One of the maps from here for V&H Big Shots made a noticeable improvement.

If you it turns out you need a controller and want one that needs no turning, Cobra is probably the best way to go. Just make sure to get the right one, as I guess they make different ones. arizonawarrior likes his and can probably tell you which one is best.

The DynoJet Autotune and a PCV is another way to go, but more expensive. The PCIII or PCV by itself will need the right map, but many are available here on the site that would probably suit your needs fine.

Beautiful Warrior you have there. I reminds me a lot of my old '04.
Thank you! There are lots of maps to try out here, it seems the reason people switch maps is poor drivability but my bike seems to run fine as is so its curious.

Side question it has to be a warrior specific PC3 or PC5 right? Cant use a road star 1600 version? Those seem cheaper to buy lol its not just a difference of the base map that can be changed anyways I'm assuming.

·
Administrator
28,547 Posts
Yes I told him I had drag pipes installed. I did tell him I wasnt looking for HP just a safe tune to not run too hot or too rich.

I will call him again but if I need a fuel controller I may just get dyno tuned on what ever controller the shop sells and is good with. This is why I hesitated on the vbak. Tuning right etc is such a pain being dependent on shops skills and even then they still blow up engines.......

I checked his site again and it does say "no fuel tuner needed for most setups" and "fuel tuner optional but not required" on the warrior page. Maybe he misunderstood me?

Do a forum search here for Ivans and there are two in-depth threads. Check the Group Buy thread first (it has a jump link to the other thread). Here are both links:

Reflash ECU for performance and rev limit gains -...

2. Ivan's Reflash of ECU Reviews

If you suffer to read all posts its an eye opener and when Ivan posts you will have context by having read all the member posts. Its an education!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
One member, Soulmata, claims that the ECU bump has worked for all his various mods. You may try bumping it to higher numbers and see if that works for you. I'd try 15-30 range first. How does it run right now?

My '04 ran a bit hot when I first got it, I thought. The stock map that was in it wasn't giving enough fuel. It ran fine enough and still had lots of power like all Warriors do, but it was better and cooler with the right map (M403-505 worked best for me).
My Spiked '05 didn't have a fuel controller when I got it and it had the stock header with a straight pipe welded on. It ran very hot. It still rode fine and had lots of power. I rode it occasionally that way for over a year and then put on a Speed Star 2-1-2 Gen II exhaust on it, still with no fuel controller. It still ran hot. I just recently put the PCV on and the old map from my '04 and even though the map was not right for the exhaust, it was much better than without it. The right map made it even better, but not as much difference. It is much cooler and better throttle response.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One member, Soulmata, claims that the ECU bump has worked for all his various mods. You may try bumping it to higher numbers and see if that works for you. I'd try 15-30 range first. How does it run right now?

My '04 ran a bit hot when I first got it, I thought. The stock map that was in it wasn't giving enough fuel. It ran fine enough and still had lots of power like all Warriors do, but it was better and cooler with the right map (M403-505 worked best for me).
My Spiked '05 didn't have a fuel controller when I got it and it had the stock header with a straight pipe welded on. It ran very hot. It still rode fine and had lots of power. I rode it occasionally that way for over a year and then put on a Speed Star 2-1-2 Gen II exhaust on it, still with no fuel controller. It still ran hot. I just recently put the PCV on and the old map from my '04 and even though the map was not right for the exhaust, it was much better than without it. The right map made it even better, but not as much difference. It is much cooler and better throttle response.
I did read the ECU bump thread by him!

Thanks Arizona! I have a PC3 on the way I just won off Ebay for $150 so hopefully it all works perfectly and I dont nuke my engine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use the Cobra Auto Tuner.

No downloading maps just plug n go

That's the $500 black model right? I saw that, but little out of my budget right now. I got a sweet deal on the PC3 so I will try it out for now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts