RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Chomorro, I hope the PC3 you got was the USB model and also not the California model.

Also Arizona, Ivan's page for the Warrior now says this...
1) Fix all inherent fueling problems inside the ecu.
(the ones that cannot be fixed with an external fuel tuner)
No fuel tuner needed for most setups.

I also have Ivan's on my Raider without a PC and I have intake and a 2 into 1 and it runs great. I will be spinning the rollers in a week just to be 100% I am safe in this South Florida heat & humidity. He has this for the Raider

As of 4-2017, a fuel tuner is not required - ECU flash now includes fuel changes

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Chomorro, I hope the PC3 you got was the USB model and also not the California model.

Also Arizona, Ivan's page for the Warrior now says this...
1) Fix all inherent fueling problems inside the ecu.
(the ones that cannot be fixed with an external fuel tuner)
No fuel tuner needed for most setups.

I also have Ivan's on my Raider without a PC and I have intake and a 2 into 1 and it runs great. I will be spinning the rollers in a week just to be 100% I am safe in this South Florida heat & humidity. He has this for the Raider

As of 4-2017, a fuel tuner is not required - ECU flash now includes fuel changes
Thanks Hefty! It's the USB non CA model.

I really wanted the Ivan's flash though for all its other benefits so I may call him again just to clarify. I'm hoping the website and his words were correct and true with his current flashes.

Glad it works on the raider without a controller!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have some observations.

In this moto season, I started by replacing ECU with Ivan's reflash. And nothing more. Everything else remains the same: oil, spark plugs, PC5 and map in it, intake/exhoust, ecu block - everything is the same as last year.

What did I feel. The bike has become smoother, faster, more dynamic, more fun. My personal observations previously told me that the speed of "rest" was up to 120km/h before ECU reflash. In this range(0-120) the motor worked quietly, smoothly. The speedometer needle seemed to be striving for this digit. And all faster - my requirements. With the replacement of the ECU, this figure has settled at 140 km/h.

It became unusually easy to brake by the engine. Previously, dropping the speed in top gear, the motor began to curse, clap, bike started to twitch. Now I can make him downspeed into the same state, but now I need to slow down more, dropping the speed. I can’t say exactly how much, since this condition of the bike is clearly below my daily needs. But I hear the fuel coming to engine when gas is almoust closed. The motor seems to be quite gurgling, something like yum, yum, yum)))

The fuel consumption also increased in quiet mode slightly (+ 0.5l per hundred km), in a fun rhythm, the flow rate rose to about 9.5-10 liters per hundred km.
The bike got colder. I periodically record the readings of all three thermometers (inlet, oil and engine) and add to them the figure of the current ambient temperature. I already have a dozen lines of data after replacing the ESC and before the replacement. The bike got colder, fact.

Now fuel mode of my motor is very rich. Up to the critical clogging of the spark plugs. I caught this effect when servicing air filters of VBAK. I saturated the filters with oil and put one filter too deep on the branch pipe leading to the throttle unit. The motor breathed very hard, the rpm fell. With a sharp opening of the gas, black smoke came from the exhaust - a lot of fuel. And while the filters has purged, I dirtied the spark plugs. This led to a very unpleasant unstable rpms. Not strong, but on the move it can be heard unstable rpms sound. Very unpleasant to hear. The dynamic is fine, but the sound I dont like. After about 2 thousand kilometers, the candlelight raid burned out (I guess) and the rpm leveled off by itself.

And while I was observing this effect of floating rpms, I thought about it and prepared for comprehensive maintenance. All spark plugs will be replaced soon. I will also calibrate the throttle sensor according to Ivan's instructions. The current fuel map will be checked. I recorded 2 different of it in the PC5. One for my configuration I downloaded here. The second one was downloaded here and according to the description it was made for the stock intake configuration. If the second map is active, this will mean that the PC5 has glitches and switched to the second map. Not by me. I did not do this. And within these assumptions, I decided to look and compare the maps. It turned out that both of them are not very different. Both prescribe a fuel addition of + 5 + 25%. And then I decided to look at what map Ivan sent me. After copying the map data to Excel and plotting a graph based on them, I saw a rather interesting picture. See by yourself:

From this I conclude that the map from Ivan does not go far from the observations of other users about the error of 5 units in the map, which supposedly does not give a significant effect and it will even be difficult to notice. So, part of the work is done by its firmware, even if you are not using a fuel tuner.

Therefore, now I plan to start one more experiment: to use Ivan’s map in the PC5 as the main one and ride it. The dynamics will be clear. If she suffers noticeably compared to the current setup, I will back to the previous map again. If the dynamics do not change - I will observe the fuel consumption. It have to decrease, since the difference between the used map and the Ivan's map in the operating rpm range is almost a quarter! And if the dynamics with his map does not get worse, happiness and euphoria will come to me)))

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have some observations.

In this moto season, I started by replacing ECU with Ivan's reflash. And nothing more. Everything else remains the same: oil, spark plugs, PC5 and map in it, intake/exhoust, ecu block - everything is the same as last year.

What did I feel. The bike has become smoother, faster, more dynamic, more fun. My personal observations previously told me that the speed of "rest" was up to 120km/h before ECU reflash. In this range(0-120) the motor worked quietly, smoothly. The speedometer needle seemed to be striving for this digit. And all faster - my requirements. With the replacement of the ECU, this figure has settled at 140 km/h.

It became unusually easy to brake by the engine. Previously, dropping the speed in top gear, the motor began to curse, clap, bike started to twitch. Now I can make him downspeed into the same state, but now I need to slow down more, dropping the speed. I can’t say exactly how much, since this condition of the bike is clearly below my daily needs. But I hear the fuel coming to engine when gas is almoust closed. The motor seems to be quite gurgling, something like yum, yum, yum)))

The fuel consumption also increased in quiet mode slightly (+ 0.5l per hundred km), in a fun rhythm, the flow rate rose to about 9.5-10 liters per hundred km.
The bike got colder. I periodically record the readings of all three thermometers (inlet, oil and engine) and add to them the figure of the current ambient temperature. I already have a dozen lines of data after replacing the ESC and before the replacement. The bike got colder, fact.

Now fuel mode of my motor is very rich. Up to the critical clogging of the spark plugs. I caught this effect when servicing air filters of VBAK. I saturated the filters with oil and put one filter too deep on the branch pipe leading to the throttle unit. The motor breathed very hard, the rpm fell. With a sharp opening of the gas, black smoke came from the exhaust - a lot of fuel. And while the filters has purged, I dirtied the spark plugs. This led to a very unpleasant unstable rpms. Not strong, but on the move it can be heard unstable rpms sound. Very unpleasant to hear. The dynamic is fine, but the sound I dont like. After about 2 thousand kilometers, the candlelight raid burned out (I guess) and the rpm leveled off by itself.

And while I was observing this effect of floating rpms, I thought about it and prepared for comprehensive maintenance. All spark plugs will be replaced soon. I will also calibrate the throttle sensor according to Ivan's instructions. The current fuel map will be checked. I recorded 2 different of it in the PC5. One for my configuration I downloaded here. The second one was downloaded here and according to the description it was made for the stock intake configuration. If the second map is active, this will mean that the PC5 has glitches and switched to the second map. Not by me. I did not do this. And within these assumptions, I decided to look and compare the maps. It turned out that both of them are not very different. Both prescribe a fuel addition of + 5 + 25%. And then I decided to look at what map Ivan sent me. After copying the map data to Excel and plotting a graph based on them, I saw a rather interesting picture. See by yourself:

From this I conclude that the map from Ivan does not go far from the observations of other users about the error of 5 units in the map, which supposedly does not give a significant effect and it will even be difficult to notice. So, part of the work is done by its firmware, even if you are not using a fuel tuner.

Therefore, now I plan to start one more experiment: to use Ivan’s map in the PC5 as the main one and ride it. The dynamics will be clear. If she suffers noticeably compared to the current setup, I will back to the previous map again. If the dynamics do not change - I will observe the fuel consumption. It have to decrease, since the difference between the used map and the Ivan's map in the operating rpm range is almost a quarter! And if the dynamics with his map does not get worse, happiness and euphoria will come to me)))
Interesting read thank you! So if the Ivan's map provides a better fuel curve mpg etc are you going to remove the pc5 all together?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I very much doubt that bike's dynamics and engine temperature without PCV will suit me. The main motive in this. Fuel economy is secondary. It will be not expensive for me to replace spark plugs once a season.

But at the moment I can not say anything. The test is not finished yet.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Before replacing the ECU, the average of the three ratios of the intake temperature to the environment, oil temperature to the environment, engine temperature to the environment, according to the readings of the on-board sensors in the diagnostic mode immediately after the engine was stopped, I had 3.7. A series of observations contains 13 lines, with an ambient temperature from +10 degrees Celsius and up to +26.

After replacing the ECU, I have already 15 times recorded the readings of the temperature sensors. The ambient temperature was from +12 degrees Celsius to +31. As a result, according to the same methods, the average value was 2.5.

3.7 versus 2.5 - compare for yourself how much the engine has become colder.

At the same time, the trend line for the previous chart extends from a value of 2.5 and up to 4.9. Whereas after replacing the ECU, the trend line is horizontal and is very close to 2.5.

Important: all readings were taken using PCV. It’s just that I used it with stock ECU earlier, and now with Ivan’s firmware.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Before replacing the ECU, the average of the three ratios of the intake temperature to the environment, oil temperature to the environment, engine temperature to the environment, according to the readings of the on-board sensors in the diagnostic mode immediately after the engine was stopped, I had 3.7. A series of observations contains 13 lines, with an ambient temperature from +10 degrees Celsius and up to +26.

After replacing the ECU, I have already 15 times recorded the readings of the temperature sensors. The ambient temperature was from +12 degrees Celsius to +31. As a result, according to the same methods, the average value was 2.5.

3.7 versus 2.5 - compare for yourself how much the engine has become colder.

At the same time, the trend line for the previous chart extends from a value of 2.5 and up to 4.9. Whereas after replacing the ECU, the trend line is horizontal and is very close to 2.5.

Important: all readings were taken using PCV. It’s just that I used it with stock ECU earlier, and now with Ivan’s firmware.
Great idea! I never thought to use the wcu diagnostic to read temps. I would need a switch of some sort of course

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ummm. Nah. Did Ivan tell you that personally, because he knows a fuel manager is needed in addition to his parameters-flash when you have certain mods. His flash does not alter the stock fuel map in ways that maintain air:fuel. You could melt your pistons very efficiently.

If you have that from Ivan in writing please send it to me in a Conversation so I can follow-up with him this week. Thanks man.
Called him again today. Told him I installed a vbak with full exhaust and he said I can run just his flash perfectly safe and optimal but for "fine" tuning if desired I would need a fuel controller.

So my plan is get the flash done. If it isnt enough or doesnt run to my liking I will have the PC3 on standby.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Called him again today. Told him I installed a vbak with full exhaust and he said I can run just his flash perfectly safe and optimal but for "fine" tuning if desired I would need a fuel controller.

So my plan is get the flash done. If it isnt enough or doesnt run to my liking I will have the PC3 on standby.

This is a good plan, and exactly what Ivan told me. I ran his flash with ChurchKey VBAK and Samson shorties for a full season and over 3000 miles with iridium plugs and had no issues. Bike did run a little on the lean side but not excessively are dangerously so.
I ended up purchasing a pc5 from Ivan with his map in it and installed following his very detailed instructions and it certainly opened up more power in the bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts